Leather kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Leather kilt

Post by mugman »

About this time last year I invested in a black leather kilt which was being sold as a new design on eBay. I wasn't sure how positive I would be about wearing it as leather kilts are perhaps a bit odd for a 69/70 year old. I wore it when visiting some friends in Wales and the consensus of opinion was that it looked a bit kinky. I took that comment at face value. The kilt felt quite luxurious to me - it certainly cost enough to buy, and was well out of my usual budget.
Anyway, my enthusiasm had taken a bit of a knock from their views and I stopped wearing it, going back to the usual textile ones I have.
However, now that I have a lot more confidence through being officially partnered as accompanist to a brilliant Latin American blues singer - she adores my kilts! - I feel I can be a lot more adventurous with my dress code, and have started wearing the kilt more. Does it look ridiculous on an oldish guy. I'd appreciate opinions.

Pete
Last edited by mugman on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Leather kilt

Post by crfriend »

Congratulations on the new gig, Pete! That's got to be a fun ride.

The kilt looks fine, and I'm sure that for on-stage it's perfect.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

I don't think the photograph does any justice to you or said kilt!

Nonetheless, there's nothing there that seems outrageous or outlandish; it looks good.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I'm in agreement with Carl. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the idea of wearing a leather kilt (after all, it's probably how our ancient ancestors first started covering themselves), but these days it will probably go down better as a stage outfit than a street outfit.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Hey Pete,

Good to read you again.

I know how you feel with the leather kilt; I bought a leather skirt a while back and loved the feel of it but somehow could not feel comfortable in it in public, no matter what I teamed it with. Eventually, it went to a charity shop. However, I reckon a leather kilt on stage will be an impressive statement and should not provoke any "thoughts" in the minds of the audience. From what I can see in the picture it looks pretty good, I'd be tempted myself, but the skirt experience has put me off leather for the time being.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I own a leather skirt and love wearing it. Your kilt looks good to me.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Thanks for your feedback. It's given me more confidence to just go for it. The six bookings so far are at the same venue as a 40 minute cabaret in the middle of the evening, but it does mean I/we have to mingle before and after our spot for an hour or so at each end. I won't be changing into or out of whatever I'm wearing for the act...so it has to sit comfortably at the bar, etc.
I have another outfit - again I'm not sure of it. It's supposed to be formal in a sort of black, red and white way. The sporran is perhaps not particularly appropriate as I'm not a Scot. Normally I use a less Scottish bumbag in the same way, but obviously not for a gig. Maybe I'll save that look for groovy funerals, and just stick with the leather kilt and a jazzy black and white short sleeve shirt I have.
I'm sure Elton doesn't have this problem!
Pete

Last edited by mugman on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Pete,

Both nice photos. You look great. The second outfit is really showy and would go down well as an outfit for a gig. If you like leather, OK, but funerial black is a bit on the dull side for a gig, in my opinion.
In a previous incarnation I gig'd with a trad. Irish/Scottish/German outfit in Germany. Two of us wore kilts, mine in green with a white blouse-like shirt and a moss green waistcoat. I'll admit we did some gigs in black trews also.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

It's hard to say from the pictures, but I don't see anything wrong as such. Would appreciate more pictures, also from any others who have leather kilt/skirts. To me, leather or suede is a good material for a guy. Certainly could be leaning towards club wear if worn with unsuitable other stuff.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I tend to agree Tom about black. I can't change the kilt, but I might look for a different jacket, maybe white. It's supposed to be a sophisticated look rather than jazz dive, and I think it does that. The thing about jackets with kilts is of course that they really need abbreviating in length, otherwise they look like a mismatch. Getting a jacket shortened isn't cheap as the lining has to be untacked and re-hemmed. I forget how much the one in the photo cost me to have altered - that was about three years ago. Easier not to bother with a jacket.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

It looks great and you look dignified. Keep on wearing it.

Happy-N-Skirts
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

I recall a picture of Brian Molko of Placebo wearing a skirt on stage. There was a short thread here about him.

Obviously his style may not be yours, but if you Google for the pictures they might give some further ideas.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

BRAVO PETE :!:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

For both the Gig :D and the Kilt :kiltdance:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Thanks Uncle Al. As you can see, it's a Yamaha CP40 stage piano and Tyros 2 now. I've settled for them as being the most compatible for my sort of stuff. No more new keyboards! Well, not for the moment. Sorry, going off topic here.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Ignore criticism, the whole look is good and I would not feel awkward anywhere. You look distinctive and smart wether on stage, a formal occasion or daily routine.