Sportkilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sportkilt

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:Nice style, Tom. And I was about to say you do remarkably well walking on those extreme slopes. :D I think you need to edit (rotate) the picture in another program, like Paint, maybe, and save it under a new file name. Then it should load upright.
Hey Dillon: Maybe Tom is a laid back sort of guy - at least he is not around water this time - water seeking it's level ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Guys,

The bank of photos I browse from show those images upright. I have always in the past submitted images that way and I still can't explain it. When you click on the images they appear enlarged and upright. Funny.

A school report for my eldest Son (now 45 & successful) included the remark by one of his teachers that he was so laid-back as to be almost horizontal!

Chip off the old block?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

The problem there is that when a digital camera takes a "vertical" photo, the picture is normally recorded as a horizontal photo with the subject rotated 90 degrees, just like a film camera, but the fact that it was taken vertically is recorded in data (known as EXIF data) embedded in the file. Now, some software progams pay attention to EXIF data while others don't, so a picture that was taken vertically can appear either vertical or horizontal. The prudent thing to do is to run through all your recent photos with a photo-viewer program which allows you to easily convert such photos to vertical. I don't use Windows, but I have heard that IrfanView (easily found via web search) is a very good Windows photo-viewer with all the bells and whistles.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thank you Owen.

My in-depth knowledge of computers & computing barely covers my toes. I've recently had to replace my laptop and the new one is Windows 10, which is less user-friendly. This problem with picture orientation is new since then. Curiously another uploaded photo in another thread came up horizontal & I deleted it. I then went back and cropped the pic. making it more skinny and it uploaded vertical after that.

I'll try your recommended system ans see if it's better than what I do now.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:I've recently had to replace my laptop and the new one is Windows 10, which is less user-friendly. This problem with picture orientation is new since then.
That's it, then. The newer version of Windwoes is capable of reading the metadata passed in via the EXIF data in the camera-supplied image and then rotating the thing for display -- by you, on your computer -- but not doing a lick to the original image, thereby handily explaining the entire "Lazy (but hovering) Tom" series here on Skirt Cafe.

In the image you cropped and re-composed, the metadata were lost which caused your machine to (rightly and properly) display the thing sideways which prompted you to rotate-by-90 before posting.

I do not know if there's a way to turn this behaviour off in Windwoes, not being an habitual user of that idiom. To crib a line from Blazing Saddles, "You're on your own, son."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!