Kilt from Amazon

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Kilt from Amazon

Post by rick401r »

I ordered this kilt off Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Traditional ... 0_70668520 I guess I got the last one. It is shipping from Maryland. I'll give you a review when I get it.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt from Amazon

Post by partlyscot »

I cannot find the material it is made of on their Amazon shop pages, I'm assuming acrylic?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Directly from their page ~ ~
Made from fine quality heavy and durable poly-viscose ·
Pure 100% cotton lining for maximum comfort.
Just scroll down a ways for the "Product Description"

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Ok, I received the kilt in 3 days. Very fast shipping. When I opened the package out came an all black kilt instead of a Black Watch. It was a good fit. A snug 34 inch waist (adjustable with the straps) 24 inch drop as advertised. The material feels like the acrylic Stillwater kilt I've been wearing. It was advertised as a 16 oz. material. I'm not exactly sure what that means but I think it has to do with the thickness of the materiel. it does feel heavier than the Stillwater but not as heavy as my wool kilt. Also it was supposed to have a full cotton lining but did not. For the price I am happy with my purchase. Since I already have a black watch kilt the all black one is fine with me. I also have a black Utilikilt that I don't often wear. It's too heavy and stiff for my liking.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

rick401r wrote:It was advertised as a 16 oz. material. I'm not exactly sure what that means but I think it has to do with the thickness of the materiel.
Semi-educated guess here :wink:
16 oz is probably for a standard area of material. My guess is one running yard of fabric of standard width. From my memory of paying for a lot of drapery and upholstery fabric in my job accounting for hotel renovations, the standard width is about 54 inches (at least in the US). I know I bought a couple yards of stretch polyester velveteen to send to a skirt making friend and I think the package ended up weighing something over two pounds.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

A Google search for "How is Kilt fabric weight measured"
Resulted in this from X-Marks-the-Scot.
Tartan fabric weight (when you see for example: a 13oz kilt advertised) means: 1 linear yard
of double-width cloth should weigh 13oz. This is where the problem arises, because not all
widths are the same. Many mills assume "double width" to mean 54 inches... But this isn't
set in stone. Some double widths are as wide as 60 inches....

So because my kilt isn't made from 1 yard x 1.5 yards of fabric, but much more, we'll need
to do a bit of multiplication.

My kilt is 4.3 yards long x 0.64 yards wide, with the pleats at the top of the kilt NOT being
cut out (this is important to note). 4.3x0.64=2.752 square yards.

Then, I divide the weight of the kilt (in my case: 25oz) by the square yardage of the kilt
(in my case: 2.752). 25 ÷ 2.752 = 9.084...

Final step, I must multiply this number by 1.5 (because a linear fabric yard is actually
1yard x 1.5 yards). So for me: 9.084 x 1.5 = 13.6 oz.

This makes sense. Because of the added buckles and straps, liner, thread, and kilt pin
(which I didn't remove due to laziness), it's probably close to 13oz spot-on.

I hope this clarifies the weight issue ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)