USA National Tartan Day - April 6th

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

USA National Tartan Day - April 6th

Post by r.m.anderson »

It is that time again for the USA National Tartan Day - April 6th !

Wear and sport your tartan proudly !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: USA National Tartan Day - April 6th

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Thought I would bring this Thread up top.
National Tartan Day is fast approaching for 2017.
Wear that Tartan with pride.
I am eagerly waiting the arrival of my "Wallace"
That I ordered from the UK on Mar 18th. Shipping arrival westimate is Apr 4th. Just in time.

Mishawaka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
DonP

Post by DonP »

I was surprised when I read that this is actually an official national holiday. Of course I want to honor the contributions of the Scottish people in America, so I will be wearing my Black watch kilt
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I won't be at work that day so I will wear my Pride of Scotland kilt. MOH can't object to that as a kilt IS an official man's garment. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Thursday 6th April is National Tartan Day. This celebration of Scottish heritage has been taking place in Canada, USA and other countries of the Scottish diaspora since the 1980s, but has only recently started to be recognized in Scotland. To encourage this a popular Edinburgh pub, the Ghillie Dhu, is offering a 30% discount on the food bill for those who are dressed in tartan for National Tartan Day! https://www.facebook.com/GhillieDhuEdin ... =3&theater

I was in there today to celebrate Margaret’s birthday, and it was great to be in a place where all the staff and many of the customers (including me) were wearing kilts!

Anyone else celebrating National Tartan Day this year?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Thursday you say. Hmm...

I don't own a kilt, but I may just wear my heavy ankle-length green plaid skirt then -- just to "stir the pot" a little bit.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

You can wear a wrap around tablecloth for all I care just as long as it isn't the Henry Ford tartan "ALL BLACK" !
There is nothing clannish about this holiday. If you have something with two different threads and that is all that
you got then wear it - no esteemed blessing from the clan chief of black & white threads necessary.

And as usual Ya don't have to be Scottish to wear a skirt kilt tartan pattern - you can also be Irish further more
you don't have to have 100% authentic heritage - wear a tartan on the National Tartan Holiday !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:You can wear a wrap around tablecloth for all I care just as long as it isn't the Henry Ford tartan "ALL BLACK" !
Thread made good -- I'm at work wearing my green/blue/burgundy plaid skirt, a black waistcoat, and a dark blue dress shirt to pick the blue in the skirt. This is the skirt. I'll try to get imagery when I get home -- that is if I haven't drowned in the interim (or maybe I should hope that the gills I've been growing work).
And as usual Ya don't have to be Scottish to wear a skirt kilt tartan pattern - you can also be Irish further more you don't have to have 100% authentic heritage - wear a tartan on the National Tartan Holiday !
True! All you have to be is willing to wear it :!:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

r.m.anderson wrote:...Ya don't have to be Scottish to wear a skirt kilt tartan pattern - you can also be Irish further more
you don't have to have 100% authentic heritage - wear a tartan on the National Tartan Holiday !
Quite agree! Never let not being authentic stop ya, but if there is a way to be "authentic" and you can do it, maybe promote that possibility a little higher. Connection to a tradition is enjoyable all by itself, especially in public celebrations.

For example, the first two tartan kilts I made were Nova Scotia and Maple Leaf tartans, for my family's home province and my country. There are many "official" tartans for groupings other than clan, such as political regions (countries, provinces and cities), professional associations, regiments and schools; and for subjects of the crown, virtually anything your monarch can officially wear you can too since your monarch is like a clan chief to you.
Daryl...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Our 'Monarchs' were Kings of, or High Kings, all vanquished at the hands of the Normans who became the British. Tartan was invented hundreds of years later, so for instance, the Military here for ceremonial duties frequently wear just plain kilts in orange or green.

There is of course a plethora of 'Irish' tartans, all relatively recent concoctions.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Kirbstone wrote:Our 'Monarchs' were Kings of, or High Kings, all vanquished at the hands of the Normans who became the British. Tartan was invented hundreds of years later, so for instance, the Military here for ceremonial duties frequently wear just plain kilts in orange or green.
There is of course a plethora of 'Irish' tartans, all relatively recent concoctions.
Knowing a good idea when you see it is certainly a sign of an advanced culture! :D

Scottish and Irish cultures are both infectious. My family comes from Nova Scotia ("New Scotland"). Newfoundland's main non-indigenous population is Irish. The main ground route to the rest of Canada from Newfoundland is via the ferry from Newfoundland to Cape Breton Nova Scotia. The Cape Breton and Nova Scotia accents are beginning to merge noticeably with the Newfoundland accent, and I understand that kilts can be seen quite frequently as normal men's wear in Cape Breton.
Daryl...