The Tactical Kilt Dialectic

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

The Tactical Kilt Dialectic

Post by JRMILLER »

-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
danielobvt

Re: The Tactical Kilt Dialectic

Post by danielobvt »

Overall not a bad article. So rare to see kilts in the regular media.
The 5.11 TDK's are pretty great kilts. They are what drew me in in the first place.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Not bad? Overall it's excellent!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I enjoyed the article a great deal, and overall it's I think a good sign. If 5.11 were to make those a regular part of their lineup I might well get one when the budget allows it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

A very nice article indeed, I enjoyed reading it and I hope it can pursuade men to consider buying a tactical kilt. The article is a tactical move on itself!

On the other hand the tactical kilt looks the same as every other utility or cargo kilt on the market today: Utilikilt--UTkilts--Skilts--Union kilts and many more.
That makes it a bit difficult to pick the right one.

But if your budget allows it you can simply buy 'm all. :lol:

Jan.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

janrok wrote:A very nice article indeed, I enjoyed reading it and I hope it can pursuade men to consider buying a tactical kilt.
Agreed (of course)
On the other hand the tactical kilt looks the same as every other utility or cargo kilt on the market today
There certainly does seem to be a lack of imagination out there! I can well understand them all including pockets on their mugs, but, for example, why must they all have the same pleats round the back? or metal studs at the front?

If all those manufacturers have been selling thousands of articles, a they claim, why is it that we never see one outnabout?

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:.If all those manufacturers have been selling thousands of articles, a they claim, why is it that we never see one outnabout?...
Thousands of articles among the billions in the world population isn't exactly a high density of distribution.

Also, I suspect most are purchased for one-time events and not for daily wear.

But I do see them in public, occasionally, like once every few months.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Caultron beat me to it, but I'll leave this since it adds more detail.
Couya wrote:If all those manufacturers have been selling thousands of articles, a they claim, why is it that we never see one outnabout?
Probably because those kilts are spread pretty thin. While 5.11 is probably one of the smaller ones, at 8,000 sold around the world they are rather few and far between. Were they all in either London or New York City, there would be only about one per million people or half million men. I've seen utility kilts in the wild on a few occasions, so I can vouch for the fact that they exist.

I've thought about getting one when they are in stock, but I have my eye more on the all cotton UT Kilt.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Here in central OH we have a summer event called the Irish Festival. Each year I see more and more guys (and women) sporting kilts for this event... This is a huge event and there are hundreds if not a few thousand wearing kilts... Some fine Spring day, they are going to have the balls to hit the street with these things.... I will welcome that day...
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Thoughts on why so many utility style kilts look similar:

Men are conditioned to look the same. Our fashions are predictably boring, but safe just the same. Stepping out of the norm wearing a monotube garment is bold. Looking the same as every other rebel is safe. It's a deep and twisted rut we're in, brothers.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

It's true that most utility kilts are solid dark or earth-toned colors, and have belt loops and cargo pockets. Apparently, that's what sells the most. But alternatives are certainly available, as at these Web sites:

http://www.altkilt.com/catalog/36

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KiltThis

Of course, being kilts, they all have aprons in front and pleats on the other three sides.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Taj wrote:Thoughts on why so many utility style kilts look similar:

Men are conditioned to look the same. Our fashions are predictably boring, but safe just the same. Stepping out of the norm wearing a monotube garment is bold. Looking the same as every other rebel is safe. It's a deep and twisted rut we're in, brothers.
Totally agree with Taj - I feel a bit like that myself - I would wear a tartan or utility kilt almost anywhere, but would be cautious about where I wore a skirt. But at least it's a start for each individual who ventures out in one, and it's then not such a big step to trying a denim or cargo skirt. And then perhaps on to something more colourful and adventurous? :)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Personally I would dismiss the Etsy kilts with all those buckles and straps, chains &c. They look more like Goth or Medieval chastity garments.

The Alt kilts are altogether more attractive. One that caught my eye being the embroidered 'flourish' kilt, which on close inspection is more of a pleated skirt than a kilt, as such. Laid flat it does have a decent flare, which I like, and a range of colours. At $200 plus extra for pockets postage too, they're not exactly giving them away, though.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:Personally I would dismiss the Etsy kilts with all those buckles and straps, chains &c. They look more like Goth or Medieval chastity garments.
I'm not into these very much either but they are a step apart from generic utility kilts.
Kirbstone wrote: The Alt kilts are altogether more attractive. One that caught my eye being the embroidered 'flourish' kilt, which on close inspection is more of a pleated skirt than a kilt, as such. Laid flat it does have a decent flare, which I like, and a range of colours. At $200 plus extra for pockets postage too, they're not exactly giving them away, though.
The Flourish is a nice kilt and currently on sale. Itf has an apron and pleats, of course, but no belt loops or cargo pockets. It does have slash pockets and the highlight, some attractive embroidery on the apron. I suppose the embroidery and the lack of cargo pockets do make it look more like a skirt but again, the apron and pleats are still there. I'm probably going to order one while they're on sale.

$200 is actually on the low side for a garment with that much fabric custom-sewn in the USA but yes, it is more expensive than a pair of jeans or a generic utility kilt from Pakistan. The workmanship and design, however, are very good. The owner received her degree in Costume Technology and it shows.

caultron
Kingussie

Post by Kingussie »

I'm a big fan of "hill-walker" kilts. Only four yards of material, fewer pleats and an inch or two shorter than your standard military-style kilt. The best thing is that they have trouser-style pockets. To me, the cargo pockets on a utility-style kilt spoil the lines of the garment. The only downer about "hill-walkers" is their price. :(
Kingussie
--------------
Why should the ladies have all the fun?