In public

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

In public

Post by Couya »

Someone wrote that the newcomers need to know how the older members manage with their unbifurcated garments, so, as I've not written much in a while ...

I'm in kilts most of the time now (cold weather, unheated buildings!) and have aroused some interest among people taking part in some new activities (new for me).
In the men's changing room at the town swimming pool, most take no notice, but some that I see each time ask whether the kilt is worn much in Scotland, Why they wear a bag hanging in front (sporran) (I usually say, just to keep everything down), Is it not cold in winter -- especially on a cycle? No colder than trousers, which would not keep my ears warm anyway. The only disadvantage of the kilt was that most of the men assumed that I would not be able to speak Spanish, but I have gotten past that barrier now.
The advantage is the ease of getting dressed after swimming. I can see that pulling on trousers standing in socks on a wet floor is not easy at all. I can put my shoes on to keep dry and then wrap the kilt around me without it getting wet.

At the Spanish folk dance club, there have been very few comments except from the teacher who showed some interest and apparently likes to see me dressed thus. Another fellow asked if I wore the kilt for work. When I worked, I did not, but since retiring, it's unbifurcated every day -- I have no trousers! And, of course, Is it true the you (plural) wear nothing underneath? To which I could only answer truthfully that that was the traditional way. No-one took the subject any further to ask if I was regimental. Since there is a lot of spinning and turning, I do wear underpants to dance, by the way.

Interesting to note that the women ALL turn up in trousers and then change into skirts, changing back afterwards. Just like many shy men who wear trousers to go to Scottish dance and only put their kilts on once they are safely off the streets.

I think it is probably because of my venerable age that people don't make personal or disparaging comments. I imagine that a younger man could get different reactions.

I'll tell you what they think of my lightweight skirts when the weather warms up.

Martin
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: In public

Post by STEVIE »

O.K. For the newcomers, welcome to the wonderful world of being a guy in a skirt.
It really is, honestly!
It maybe the best expression of personal freedom that you will ever experience.
Going "public" is not easy unless you are ultra confident or just plain stupid.
When you do, you will learn that the majority of the public don't care. Most will simply look and look away.
Hopefully, complimenents will be garnered, be gracious in your acceptance of these, they are valuable.
Finally, the bad bits and they are generally few, learn to ignore. These will generally arise from fear or ignorance.
Wearing a skirt as a guy is just life, there is rough and smooth, accept the best, prepare for the worst.
In my own experience, I've had some wonderful conversations that would never have happened but for the skirts.
Discussions with strangers aged from 20-80ish, I call that a result.
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:...In my own experience, I've had some wonderful conversations that would never have happened but for the skirts.
Discussions with strangers aged from 20-80ish, I call that a result...
Indeed. I've had many women come up and tell me they liked my kilt, but none have ever approached me and said they liked my pants.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Just today MOH suggested going for a meal on Wednesday night and then onto ASDA for a bit of shopping. I don't think that she's realised what the date is - 21st. Hint - I'm still keeping up with wearing skirts on odd days! What's the chances of the excursion being cancelled? Hmmm, seems like a good time for the old ".... look give it a chance for once. Let me wear a skirt and count how many people care and then make a judgement." Like you I've mostly met indifference or positive comments/compliments. I have yet to receive anything close to a detraction.

Well, I'm at the dentist tomorrow and I'll be going skirted again. Not sure which one yet. So many, so many to choose from.

My AM also indicated that we should have a talk next week about my contract so sort of looking forward to it. The only reason I am not is that I think that D-M offer part-time contracts and as the main earner I really need full-time. I am on full-time hours at the moment but that could change. In reality it is the AM that allocates the hours so it's possible to have a part-time contract but full time hours. The only time it really impacts is if I take a week's holiday in which case I would only get the part-time holiday pay although a recent ruling against John Lewis says that overtime should now be taken into account. We'll see and I'll let you know what transpires.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Summary of a conversation on the train last night.
Thoughts that were expressed that usually remain unsaid.

"Scottish?"
"Why do you ask?"
The man glanced at my kilt and shrugged.
"Are you not cold?"
After 15 minutes on a windy platform, I was freezing, but I said:
"My hands and ears, yes."
"Does you wife approve of the kilt?"
"Yes."
"My girl friend would not like it.
Are you from Glasgow?"
"No."
"Where do you live then?"
"Grenoble."
"Where is that?"
"In France."
"So you are not Scottish. Are you gay then?"
This was said in a quite matter-of-fact way, neither a put-down nor an invitation.
1. Kilt = Scottish.
2. Old man = probably hetero-married.
3. Not Scottish, but in a skirt = gay.

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I've never been asked if I was gay, but I take exchanges like this as an opportunity to educate the questioner and promote my point of view. Of course, I have to be friendly and confident while doing it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Apparently, the only reason a (straight) male would wear a kilt is the heritage thing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:Apparently, the only reason a (straight) male would wear a kilt is the heritage thing.
This is a common belief but of course incorrect. Just gently correct them. I have this conversation all the time:

"Are you Scottish?"

"No, just crazy."
or
"No, but I drank some once."
or
"No, I've just been wearing pants my whole life and got tired of it."
or
"No, just comfortable."
or
"No, but one good thing about being an old man is that you can be a crazy old man."

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

My ancestry is Scottish on my mother's side of the family. But I have worn a Utilikilt for comfort, not for the heritage thing.

Nevertheless, a former room mate once gave me a pair of plaid stockings to wear...with a Utilikilt.

Also, while wearing a Utilikilt, I have been asked where my bag pipes are.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:...Also, while wearing a Utilikilt, I have been asked where my bag pipes are.
I just tell them that no, I don't play the bagpipes, and then I look them in the eye and wait for the next question.

caultron
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Grok wrote:My ancestry is Scottish on my mother's side of the family. But I have worn a Utilikilt for comfort, not for the heritage thing.

Nevertheless, a former room mate once gave me a pair of plaid stockings to wear...with a Utilikilt.

Also, while wearing a Utilikilt, I have been asked where my bag pipes are.
I've had someone do something similar when I was wearing a floral print skirt with trouser socks. Think I've mentioned it in another thread already. Guy should've known better.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

After a gym the other day I put on the camo kilt that I made, an older guy came up to me and asked if I had tried going into the ladies yet (with a smile on his face). I said no I had not. Then he said, I bet you have had a lot of comments about wearing a kilt, I said, actually I have had very few comments, (mainly that they like my kilt, where did you get lt) then he said most people will keep quiet for fear of upsetting the scots man. :lol:
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

melsav wrote: most people will keep quiet for fear of upsetting the scots man. :lol:
That's just what I think.
Do they not realize that there are plenty of more serious things to get upset about?

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

melsav wrote:...most people will keep quiet for fear of upsetting the scots man. :lol:
I don't think "most" people, but "some" is likely. But there are lots of fashions that look ridiculous to some people; in fact, almost any fashion looks ridiculous to someone, so why sweat ours?

caultron
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

I too get the "you must be Scottish" line occasionally. But this week was a new one: I was wearing a black "office" skirt and fluffy blouse and the fellow asked what I was professor of. When I replied "engineering" he said "Oh, I thought it would be philosophy or something because of the way you're dressed."