In public

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: In public

Post by Caultron »

I've has this conversation a couple of times:

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a software developer."

"Oh, yeah, well maybe then..."

It's just people responding to the unexpected. Don't judge, just calmly educate.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I had a chuckle today when I passed a woman in the hospital corridor. She was so surprised at my appearance she blurted out "Dios mio !" quite loudly.
Most other people just look and go about their business.

Martin
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

ChrisM wrote:I too get the "you must be Scottish" line occasionally. But this week was a new one: I was wearing a black "office" skirt and fluffy blouse and the fellow asked what I was professor of. When I replied "engineering" he said "Oh, I thought it would be philosophy or something because of the way you're dressed."
Fluffy blouse. .. you've got my attention. Any pictures?
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ChrisM wrote:But this week was a new one: I was wearing a black "office" skirt and fluffy blouse and the fellow asked what I was professor of. When I replied "engineering" he said "Oh, I thought it would be philosophy or something because of the way you're dressed."
Oh, my, that's absolutely priceless! So much for rubbishing that stereotype!

"Oh, yes. I design boats that carry heavy things and go insanely fast. No, we're not talking about drag-boats here." :twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Oh, to be young again !
I have noticed I get some bright smiles and nods from nice-looking people, but can never remember whether they are people I've met before or not. I just smile back (rather than say the wrong thing), whereas, if I was sure whether it was someone I know, or a stranger being friendly, I'd know how to react appropriately, and perhaps get onto pleasant conversation.
Memory !
Or perhaps it is because of young people's fashion; all the young men look alike (hardly any hair, scruffy bit of beard, black coat, tight jeans ...); all the young lassies look alike (long straight hair, make-up, black coat, tight jeans...). It's easier to remember who older people are, as their appearances seem to be more varied.
Martin
Nolyn

Post by Nolyn »

Last December, my wife and I attended a Solstice open house at the Native American art gallery located in Sioux Falls, SD (near where we live). I wore my Clark/clergy pattern kilt. I've worn a utility kilt on previous visits to the gallery, so the ladies who work there already know me to be a confident kilt wearer, but the strange comment came from another visitor to the gallery: A woman said that "this is supposed to be a Native American store." I informed her that, "I don't work here." It was an interesting clash of stereotypes concerning both the appropriate time to wear "Scottish" garb, and also what is seen to be appropriately "Native." I must burst her cultural bubble at wanting to see Native things in a Native art gallery which extended apparently to other fellow customers as well. I was glad to expand here world.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I thought I'd just add this recent delightful comment from a member of the public.

In a plain black kilt, while standing in a queue at Sainsbury's supermarket cafeteria about two weeks ago...always a lengthy affair while they attend to each person's individual 'big breakfast' choice...a woman in front of me said to her daughter of about 8 "Now, that's what I call a man!"..."See, he has a kilt."

The girl glanced at it and was totally underwhelmed.

I'm in there most days, either morning or afternoon, grabbing a coffee, and nearly always with a kilt. I prefer black as it avoids the irritating Scottish questions. After many weeks, and gallons of coffee, I think other regulars there will now be used to my, what will be locally considered to be, eccentricity. Apart at least from one woman.

The latest addition is a useful black leather design of the variety sold on eBay which I believe has already been mentioned somewhere else here. It's quite plain, which I like, and great for the current change over to rubbish weather now hitting Devon. It has a very stable nature in even the most blustery of gales. Although the delivery time was quoted as a couple of weeks it arrived in about five days. I particularly liked the choice of drop measurement offered (either 24" or 20"). 21" always fits me better, so the shorter version was ideal without having to get it altered - quite difficult, and expensive, I expect for a leather job. The kilt cost £75, and repels spilt coffee like water of a duck's whatsname.

Sometimes I use a black Sportkilt with deep maroon panels in the pleats. I've yet to go all out mad and wear the black Sportkilt I had made up a few years ago with alternate red, white and blue panels in the pleats. That will have to be for a really special occasion. A pity we don't have Empire Day any more!

Pete :)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Mugman,

Glad to se you posting again. Today I got two new Sportkilts in the post. Pics. soon.

BTW. How's your garden rail layout going?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

mugman wrote:In a plain black kilt, while standing in a queue at Sainsbury's supermarket cafeteria about two weeks ago...always a lengthy affair while they attend to each person's individual 'big breakfast' choice...a woman in front of me said to her daughter of about 8 "Now, that's what I call a man!"..."See, he has a kilt."

The girl glanced at it and was totally underwhelmed.
Good one! :D 8) :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :clap:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

The garden railway is now completed Tom, but at this miserably wet time of year nothing much will be run until Winter is through.

Pete
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I was IN public today at Michiana Celtic Festival 2016
Highland games at Howard Park
Men in kilts everywhere!
It was a great, my first time out in a kilt! I enjoyed the festival and wearing a kilt.
To go further. after the festival I went to the grocery store in my kilt to get ribs and corn for cooking Monday for. Our Labor Day Holiday. Thinking I was walking into a lions den now miles awy from the Celtic festval. Being in the the store for about 10 minutes. I was supprised, that there was a lack of coments, looks, or giggles etc. Shocked. I figured I would not get out of there without somekind of incident. I might of caught a doubletake or two out of the corner of my eye. But that was it.
No one dropped their eggs, or gasped in horror.

First good outing in da pleats :)
Will have to do it again soon.

Mishawakaskirt
Picture is of the highland games
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Just another picture.

Mishawakaskirt

Haven't figured out how to do multiple pictures in one post :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...To go further. after the festival I went to the grocery store in my kilt to get ribs and corn for cooking Monday for. Our Labor Day Holiday. Thinking I was walking into a lions den now miles awy from the Celtic festval. Being in the the store for about 10 minutes. I was supprised, that there was a lack of coments, looks, or giggles etc. Shocked. I figured I would not get out of there without somekind of incident. I might of caught a doubletake or two out of the corner of my eye. But that was it.
No one dropped their eggs, or gasped in horror.
This is absolutely typical, even with no Celtic festival in the area that day. No fashion police, no black helicopters, no circles of people pointing and laughing.

A surprising number of people won't even notice. Most of those who do will be mildly surprised but after half a second say, "Oh well," and then go about their business. Some will like it and may even throw you a compliment. Those few who don't like it may throw you a frown but no worse, and that's their problem, not yours. Throw them a smile and wish them a nice day.
mishawakaskirt wrote:...Will have to do it again soon.
The first time is the hardest, and now you've got that under your belt. Enjoy!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Like Caultron said.
My first public outing as a man in a dress was also to the grocery store ... at 10 o'clock at night. The stand out aspect was what a non-event it was for nearly everyone. Starting at the front door where I was picking out a grocery cart. A woman and her mother entered at the same time and didn't even notice I was there, let alone act as if there was anything out of the ordinary about the man they apparently didn't see.
Inside the store the staff was, if anything, nicer and more solicitous than usual. A teenage couple may have looked me over, but didn't say anything or give me a dirty look. Near the check stands a family with little kids were too busy with their own business -- the parents discussing what to get next, the little boys chasing each other -- to even notice me.
Nearly everyone in most places really don't care what you're wearing. Unless you're Kim Kardashian and you're exposing a new portion of your epidermis.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

This past weekend I went to museums, restaurants, stores etc, with Moonshadow and Jenn. :hooray: We were all skirted on Saturday and Moonshadow and I were skirted on Sunday. We meet no opposition bad looks or anything else that would have ruined our weekend. We traveled to Augusta Ga on Sunday and went to places that probably never seen a man in skirt and were treated very nice every where we went. So what is stopping you Go out and enjoy the world in your skirts and kilts. :thumright: :bow:

Pictures to come!

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.