The Archers' Approval

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Miket

The Archers' Approval

Post by Miket »

Did anyone else catch the New Year's Day edition of the BBC4 " story of every day folk". If not you can listen here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xgj8k

For those outside of the UK, the Archers is a radio serial which has been running for years, concerning daily life in the ficticious middle England town of Ambridge, in the county of Borsetshire, and relates to the comings and goings of the Archer family.

In this episode, Kate Archer, a black sheep of the family, is at a New Years Eve party when she encounters a gentlemen wearing a kilt. Her comments are generally very positive, and she suggests in a few years that it will "be quite normal for men to wear skirts and dresses....". Admittedly she was rather "tired and emotional" - slightly drunk - but may be this is a trend we can pursue with the BBC!

(The item is about 2 minutes into the episode.)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Archers' Approval

Post by skirtyscot »

Surely everyone has heard of the world's longest-running soap opera?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Archers
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Miket wrote:Did anyone else catch the New Year's Day edition of the BBC4 " story of every day folk". If not you can listen here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xgj8k

In this episode, Kate Archer, a black sheep of the family, is at a New Years Eve party when she encounters a gentlemen wearing a kilt. Her comments are generally very positive, and she suggests in a few years that it will "be quite normal for men to wear skirts and dresses....". Admittedly she was rather "tired and emotional" - slightly drunk - but may be this is a trend we can pursue with the BBC!

(The item is about 2 minutes into the episode.)
Yes I was pleasantly surprised to hear her comments. I agree she was slightly drunk, but I still take as a positive.

John
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Apart from Kate, who tests everyone's patience, but is just a bit player really, My front man is Justin Elliott and it's actually me who wants to buy Brookfield for 7.5 Mill....to build Birmingham's 2nd airport on the land and have my pal O'Leary (Ryanair) refer to it as Birmingham-Ambridge !

It's about time Borcetshire hit the Big Time...

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

So it's true then people actually do listen to the Archers
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

RichardA wrote:So it's true then people actually do listen to the Archers
I've listened to it on and off (but mostly on) for over 55 years.
If the Archers ever finishes, it will be the same as the ravens leaving the Tower of London. (we're all doomed)
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

The way she said it seems to suggest that the writer may well have stumbled across this very site not too long ago.

I'd like to think we are having a positive influence on society (albeit somewhat glacial at times!)
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Renesm 1,
You make a very good point here. I've no idea how many people are employed by the BBC but I'd bet there may be some skirt wearers in the male contingent.
If not, I'd be very surprised if they were unaware of the notion. It would be nice to think that we have contibuted to that awareness.
Anybody with BBC connections out there?
Who knows, we're talking about radio, the cast will wear what they want.
Steve.