Kilt purchase

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Max Caswell

Re: Kilt purchase

Post by Max Caswell »

Back to the kilt, yes, I have a DMKE Highlander, it does splay out, I cure this by hanging it wet and smoothing/pinching the pleats. It's a work kilt, and no more worthy of ironing than my Carhartt pants. I also take the right snap and pull the outside skirt up one snap, the inside other side skirt I pull up beyond both snaps and tuck into my belt, this helps cure the splaying problem.

Now, regarding the other matter,
Uncle Al wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Celebration of the Mexican victory over French
forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_De_M ... e-history/

Living here in southern Colorado in the middle of La Raza, on May 5 folks celebrate Marx's b'day, Mexican Communist independence, and "Mexica Tia Hui" which is now painted on the municipal building in San Luis, Colorado. I guess I'm being geoethnocentric, but stand Wikicorrected.
Hello all from the highlands of the San Luis Valley, Colorado
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

skirted_in_SF wrote:...I work with a woman who is of Mexican heritage. She called last May 5 'Cinco de Drunko' :roll:
It's good to hear of people around the world celebrating my birthday! 8) :lol:
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Max Caswell

Post by Max Caswell »

skirtingtoday wrote: It's good to hear of people around the world celebrating my birthday! 8) :lol:
Mom and Dad recall an early August winter the previous year.
Hello all from the highlands of the San Luis Valley, Colorado
JamieB

Post by JamieB »

I was in our local newly opend Lidl supermarket store last week, to buy our weekly shopping and to see how much cheaper the food was compared with Tesco or Sainsbury's. One of their weekly specials was Gent's Party Kilts at £19.99- an offer not to be sneezed at when a "proper" hand made kilt can set you nback a few hindred pounds.

I looked through the bin .They had waist sizes 30 -32 ins and 38 - 40ins but NO 34 - 36 ins. I was so disappointed as I am a 35 in waist. They were either too large or too small for me. I asked the manager about the sizes and he said that was what they had been supplied with. Maybe I will have to wait until the next time they have tjhem in stock which might be January, just before Burns night on the 25th. They were polyester compared with a real kllt which is usually pure wool.

I could have bought a Lady's Party Kilt but that was a really short mini-kilt and also the wrong way round.
Wee Scottie Dog
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Lidl stores are all like that, Jamie. Offers in the non-food aisles are here today, gone tomorrow, mostly never to return. They must certainly know that most men who might want a kilt are 34-36 and they perversely dump stock that's hard to sell there for a 'knock down' price.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

JamieB wrote:I was in our local newly opend Lidl supermarket store last week, to buy our weekly shopping and to see how much cheaper the food was compared with Tesco or Sainsbury's. One of their weekly specials was Gent's Party Kilts at £19.99- an offer not to be sneezed at when a "proper" hand made kilt can set you nback a few hindred pounds.
I looked through the bin .They had waist sizes 30 -32 ins and 38 - 40ins but NO 34 - 36 ins. I was so disappointed as I am a 35 in waist. They were either too large or too small for me. I asked the manager about the sizes and he said that was what they had been supplied with. Maybe I will have to wait until the next time they have tjhem in stock which might be January, just before Burns night on the 25th. They were polyester compared with a real kllt which is usually pure wool.
I could have bought a Lady's Party Kilt but that was a really short mini-kilt and also the wrong way round.

Lady's Party Kilt can be found on Ebay from Tartanista for about $30 lengths 16-23 inches waists 28-46+.

For a party kilt you could go to SportKilt.com or an inexpensive starter kilt from StillwaterKilts .
Re: the length is purely up to your personal level of wearing something at the knee - thigh or something in between.
As for the wrap direction unless it is a formal kilt worn with all the accessories - it really does not make a big difference.
Very few people will pay that much attention to the detail of a pleated kilt (skirt) with apron that wraps right side over left.
What they will notice is the hem length - excessively short and MINI-SKIRT shouts out. If you are showing your knickers
or revealing the secret of what is worn or not under a kilt - me thinks your are tantalizing close to an exhibitionist !
Leg wear also contributes to the picture - calf high cable knit kilt sox works but not so much ankle sox unless playing field
hockey etc. What is worn as a top will have a definite impact on the kilted skirt bottom.

Since this is the "SkirtCafe" you are FREE to move about the forum with whatever you are comfortable in - but beware of
those fanatics that think otherwise - just don't be ridiculous and amplify the 'Emperors New Wardrobe' !

I have several Sport Kilts in hem lengths of 16-19 inches (all Velcro wrapped left over right) - No buckles or belts required.
Suitable for casual wear although with winter breathing down will consider adding tights/pantyhose for warm winter comfort.
I am not an advocate of 'Frost Bitten Mini-Kilts(skirts)' but skirts can be worn in just about any weather.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
danielobvt

Post by danielobvt »

Sport Kilt has a sale going on now (15% off and free shipping) so now I have a new kilt (with pockets!) and a mini-kilt (for now just to be used for running) on the way. And the same pattern for sized for my 18 month daughter. They are all the same pattern as my other sport kilt so the question will be if my wife even notices them.... I kind of think it is funny that I wear non-bifurcated garments more than my wife does...
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Hi JamieB,

I wouldn't be too bothered about trying either the larger or smaller size at Lidl's prices. My clan tartan kilt was made for me 20 years ago, and is now a bit small - I've put on a few inches since then! I still wear it but use strap extenders - 8 inches of leather strap with a buckle at the end, easily found on the web in set of 3.

I also have a more recent off-the-shelf kilt that's too big - I simply unstitched each strap and reattched a few inches along. May also need to move one or more of the buckles.

Both kilts wear fine.

If you have to choose between too small or too big, I'd choose too big every time in a kilt. The extra fabric isn't a problem, although it needs a little more work before you can wear it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I've just taken delivery today of a bespoke kilt from Heritage of Scotland in Musselburgh Modern (light blue tartan with thin red crossed stripes). A photo opportunity might shortly come along, but right now our weather is a bit grizzly

Kilts always look better photographed outside away from flashes &c and with long focal length.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JamieB

Post by JamieB »

I have just been reading again the original posting of this topic from sinned and the subsequent remarks about wearing full highland dress. I never intended to cause him offence.

When I started wearing a klt in my youth, I only wore it iwith a plain leather sporran and a scout belt. ( I was in the Scouts) At formal occasion, I wore usually wore the kilt with a shirt and tie, normal shoes.and a normal tweed jacket.

It was only when I started to attend black tie dress occasions, that I had the option of buying myself a black dinner suit or expanding my kilt wardrobe and buying a dress jacket. So I bought the jacket and a proper kilt belt and sporran. It was my choice (as well as my wife's)

So it is OK for someone to just wear a kilt as everyday wear but there is a certain pride in getting "dressed" for special formal occasions.
Wee Scottie Dog
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

JmB, as the originator of this thread I would just like to thank you for your contribution and to say that I didn't take offence at what you said. I haven't had opportunity yet to wear the kilt but when I do it will be with a shirt and tie. I have blue, purple and white shirts that would go well. I will also wear it with a black or dark blue conventional jacket and black/dark blue thick tights to match. I would still class this as getting dressed up though if you want to be traditional then by all means go for it. Very little chance of my getting the conventional Scottish look, I leave that for the Scots - don't see why I should anyway. I'd like to put my own personal slant on it despite the kilt police, although I think MOH had the idea of me getting the full rig when she bought me the kilt. Just like in the Philippines where they can wear their conventional skirt with a western jacket. As for MOH, I just won't encourage her on the rig.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Sinned wrote: Very little chance of my getting the conventional Scottish look, I leave that for the Scots - don't see why I should anyway. I'd like to put my own personal slant on it despite the kilt police, although I think MOH had the idea of me getting the full rig when she bought me the kilt. Just like in the Philippines where they can wear their conventional skirt with a western jacket. As for MOH, I just won't encourage her on the rig.
I like your comments, Dennis! As a Scot living in Scotland I often wear the kilt "most incorrectly" - typically with a leather bomber jacket, but have had no bother with the kilt police. I've got the full gear - Prince Charlie jacket etc. - but hardly every find an occasion where such formality is required.

But although I'm fairly happy about what to wear with a kilt, I'm still finding it a bit tricky to know what works with the various skirts I have. Roll on summer - can't go far wrong with T shirt and denim or cargo skirt!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

DnldG, I know that it may seem trite and simple but I haven't any problem deciding what to wear with a skirt. I just wear what I would normally wear with trousers and substitute the skirt. Not so simple though because I have to match colour and texture which I don't worry about with trousers. But after that I just go with the flow. I look in the mirror and if I don't feel right then I try another skirt. This happens many times and sometimes it's just down to my mood. Maybe not so simples after all.

Again with the kilt it's the overall look I aim for - I am not Scottish and, like you, don't want to be formal to wear it. Glad we're in agreement.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.