Kilt purchase

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilt purchase

Post by Big and Bashful »

That tartan isn't too different from the tartan the Scottish team have for the Commonwealth games, it looks good on you.
It looks like you have a fascinating ancestry, it puts my 15/16ths English, the rest Scottish ancestry to shame!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Big and Bashful wrote:That tartan isn't too different from the tartan the Scottish team have for the Commonwealth games, it looks good on you.
It looks like you have a fascinating ancestry, it puts my 15/16ths English, the rest Scottish ancestry to shame!
That's the kind of mixes you get in a nation of emigrants like the US.
If someone asks me, I just say I'm a Mongrel-American. I'm 25% German (my mother's mother was from Germany), my mother's father I know nothing about due to a long family tradition of divorce. The family name was Donovan - is that Irish? On my father's side my last name is French but that was so many generations ago (arrived in the colonies in the early 1600s according to family lore) that the percentage is now pretty small. Those ancestors who have been traced are mostly assorted British Isles heritages.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, Stuart,

With an ancestral name like Donovan I regret to inform you that you do indeed have a drop or two of (dilute) Irish blood in you.

I have 100% of the stuff and I don't think it's done me any harm atall, atall!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Max Caswell

Post by Max Caswell »

Kirbstone wrote:Yes, Stuart,

With an ancestral name like Donovan I regret to inform you that you do indeed have a drop or two of (dilute) Irish blood in you.

I have 100% of the stuff and I don't think it's done me any harm atall, atall!

Tom
ImageImage

And so I'm waiting for the arrival of my Irish Bouzouki, coming in Thursday, made by a Romanian company, on which to play Bluegrass while kilted in a Damn Near Kilt 'Em USA manufactured kilt.

Everyone's Irish on St. Patty's day, and every Bluegrass player is playing Scottish-based music. I love it.
Hello all from the highlands of the San Luis Valley, Colorado
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Max Caswell wrote:Everyone's Irish on St. Patty's day, and every Bluegrass player is playing Scottish-based music. I love it.
Sorry, in this town St. Patty's day is amateur drunk's day. The street that is blocked off a couple blocks from my office is filled with 20-somethings drinking and sporting green. I stay away and have for the 35 years I've lived here.
Stuart Gallion
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

That's a magnificent looking Bazouki, Max. Together with the mandolin, a bit of a devil to play, though.

Fine kilt, but I'd do without the external panniers, myself.

This side of the Atlantical Pond there is no 'St. Patty'. He's still referred to as St. Patrick, at worst 'St Pat's Day', and the 20-somethings get roaring drunk all the year round, it seems. I wouldn't be found within earshot of any of them.

Tom.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:This side of the Atlantical Pond there is no 'St. Patty'. He's still referred to as St. Patrick [...]
Good thing, too. Personally, I sport at least 1/4 Irish blood (grandmum was a purebred) and half German (mum); the rest is "mixed British Isles" as far as I know from my grandfather's side.

We have a few "amateur nights" here when it comes to drunks, by far and away the worst of which is New Years' Eve, when both Sapphire and I pull the cars further into the driveway than we normally do. Saint Patrick's Day isn't much better, but at least the crowds seem more affable before we bail early and pull the cars up just in case.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

St.Patrick's is not so well celebrated down here, save for those who wish to imbibe in cheap beer dyed green. Cinco de Mayo is probably a bigger day in bars and restaurants here. And I too am a Scotch-Irish, English, and German mongrel, married to an Argentinian of mostly Italian heritage. Our kids are alphabet soup. :lol:
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

dillon wrote:St.Patrick's is not so well celebrated down here, save for those who wish to imbibe in cheap beer dyed green. Cinco de Mayo is probably a bigger day in bars and restaurants here. And I too am a Scotch-Irish, English, and German mongrel, married to an Argentinian of mostly Italian heritage. Our kids are alphabet soup. :lol:
I work with a woman who is of Mexican heritage. She called last May 5 'Cinco de Drunko' :roll:
Stuart Gallion
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well, the Mexicans are welcome to get drunk on May 5th or any other day, for that matter. St. Patrick's Day is March 17th.

Tom
Max Caswell

Post by Max Caswell »

My St. Patty's day experience is a lot of beer and shots of whiskey, but it's the Irish descended Americans who imbibe over this side of the pond, many of them Catholics. Meaning no disrespect to St. Patrick, who was a great missionary man, but in Philadelphia and Wilmington DE where we used to live, it's a time for everyone to be Irish for a day, especially the Irish, just a time to let the hair down. Nobody wears a kilt, everybody wears a stupid green foil hat with a shamrock.

Cinco de Mayo, nobody around here even knows they're celebrating the communist takeover of Mexico that came at the expense of the martyrdom of many Catholic priests, a memorial garden with statues of the martyrs here in San Luis Colorado. Just another excuse to get piss drunk.

We have something here in San Luis Colorado and Taos New Mexico called "Santa Ana", pronounced "Santana", which is not the celebration of a saint, but a bacchanal surrounding the former soldier/president of Mexico, Santa Ana, these two towns having formerly been under Mexican jurisdiction. Usually someone killed or maimed each year in celebration.
Hello all from the highlands of the San Luis Valley, Colorado
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Kirbstone wrote:Well, the Mexicans are welcome to get drunk on May 5th or any other day, for that matter. St. Patrick's Day is March 17th.

Tom
Part of the irony is Cinco de Mayo is unknown in most of Mexico.
Stuart Gallion
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Wikipedia wrote:Celebration of the Mexican victory over French
forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_De_Mayo

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Max Caswell wrote: And so I'm waiting for the arrival of a Damn Near Kilt 'Em USA manufactured kilt.
To get back on topic after the thread being hijacked by the anti-europeans,
do you really think that kilt will have been sewn up in USA? It looks exactly like the one I bought a few months ago, but which, when worn, looks nothing like that photo. Instead of hanging straight the pleats stick out at about 45° to the body, which I feel is quite unwearable.
I hope you have better luck.

Martin
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Deleted
Last edited by Kilty on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.