Any experience of Highland Store budget kilt?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Pal

Any experience of Highland Store budget kilt?

Post by Pal »

I've had a few days with my first kilt, a budget Tartanista. I love it, but I've realised, as most of my shirts are check, I could do with a plain black kilt.

I'd like to take a step up on the cheap kilts so I've been looking around and found Highland Store (based in London some distance from the Highlands) however, they offer an interesting budget black kilt made in the UK from pure worsted wool. It's listed as 2yd. something I've not seen before. Does anyone have any experience of the company or the kilt?

Here's the link http://www.highlandstore.com/acatalog/m ... -kilt.html

Or any other recommendations for a Black Kilt that won't break the bank. I do like the idea of buying from a UK maker.

Thanks
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Any experience of Highland Store budget kilt?

Post by Big and Bashful »

A 2 yd kilt? that will basically be a skirt, depending on the waist size I suppose. On me there would hardly be any pleating, 2 yards being 72" of cloth and me having a 44" waist (on a good day!). The last kilt I bought was a 12 yard kilt, very heavy but great swing. I would think a 2 yard kilt would actually be a good woollen skirt, but hardly a kilt. A good woollen pleated skirt which is bought as a "kilt" sound like it would be worth the price they are asking, if it is reasonably well made.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I've bough a couple of budget casual kilts from Heritage of Scotland http://www.heritageofscotland.com and have found even the 5 yard (£29.99) are acceptable. The 8 yard understandably has more fabric and so more swing.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi actually I have been looking at the very same kilt for some time now, it is expensive for what it is, but it is made from pure wool, which will not crease like other cheap black kilts.
As for the 2 yards, I'm not to sure in this, but I have read some where it is two yards cut in half and then joined together, some kilts are made like this so it could turn out to be a 4 yard kilt in reality the only way to find out is to email them.
the only way to find out is to email them.
I just have I'll get back to you on this
Bloody hell that was quick
Hi,
The 2 yard kilt is a fairly lightweight basic kilt with not that much fabric
used in the making, which means the pleats are shallow compared to proper 5
or 8 yard kilts.

Regards,
Highland Store.
Pal

Post by Pal »

Thanks for the information.

Richard, thanks for the update and clarification. Maybe it's better to save up some more and look at the 5yd.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

A few years ago I visited their shop in London and tried on one of their 2 yard kilts. The pleats were not very deep, of course, but it wasn’t that pronounced that it lacked material. If the shop assistant had been a little more helpful in trying to find me the right size, I had bought it.
Otherwise I can recommend Heritage of Scotland.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.