Commonwealth games 2014 tartan

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Commonwealth games 2014 tartan

Post by skirtingtoday »

Here is an article showing the tartan to be used for the Scottish Athletes at this summer's commonwealth games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonweal ... s/25766330

It is described as a "unisex" tartan and it was pounted out that, ""It definitely works for both (sexes). We are modern Scottish people. I love traditional tartans but we just mustn't get bogged down in them."
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Commonwealth games 2014 tartan

Post by skirtyscot »

It is WAY too pink for most men.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:It is WAY too pink for most men.
I don't know about that. I'd wear it; it's definitely a light summery colour.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

To my misogenist's eyes that is a very girly tartan. I don't mind a bit of pink, but that's really 'in your face' and large areas of it on a male frame couldn't compete with how it would look on a girl.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Sorry, not impressed with that one. Yes the pink colour does look like the colour of heather blooms, but that's no excuse, far too much of it for my eyes!

However, I admit I don't do loud colours, I would wear a red tartan, but I just don't like pink I suppose. Yes I know it was a boys colour once, before anyone reminds me, I still choose not to like it.

Still, let's see what the team looks like on the day, in team colours, they might look really smart.

Or a total embarrassment for Scotland!

Time will tell.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

This is the first time I have heard of a "Unisex" tartan. :shock:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

If this was designed for the Winter Olympics sure would get the ire of Putin with the Rainbow of Colors - almost a gay pride tartan !
Hey guys "PINK" used to be of the male domain - only in that last 7 or 8 decades have the colors related to sex been reversed.
Used to be Baby Blue was for girls and Pink was for boys - why it changed well go throw darts at something !
How the hell do I know !
Just reading in these forums results in strange twists to what was normal and usual.
In the early 1900's it was common for babies of either sex to be dressed in a full length dress or gown.
Recently the latest heir to the UK throne was baptized in such an outfit.

The bright Summer colors are fine - so I would guess that we now have some 453 recognized tartans of Scottish registration ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:This is the first time I have heard of a "Unisex" tartan. :shock:
This is actually an interesting case. Historically, the term "unisex" has been used to pull women into the "masculine" camp and has never -- ever -- been applicable, even tangentially, to men. With this, however, we may be seeing a bit of a "push" the other way -- towards men.

Recall that the designer of the new fabric pattern is a woman -- and she is putting it out there that she did NOT design it for solely one sex/gender/whatever but rather for everyone (on the Scottish team). If I am not mistaken, this does constitute a first in usage of the term. Bravo for her! (In this case, likely the guys will get kilts of the material, and the gals will get skirts and sashes made from it, so there will be some differentiation between -- and that's good in my opinion.)

Another issue that bothers me just a smidgen is how a simple colour can send otherwise-rational men into tailspins. I forget whether it's Maverick or Couyalair who has the positively screaming pink kilt, but who also looks quite good in it (even if it does burn the eyes a little bit, but that's just the intensity of the colour). It's colour -- and it's not drab. Embrace it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

To me it looks like a 1960s table cloth
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Response to crfriend's comments....

This version of "unisex" may be a special case...because it is supposed to represent the Scottish nation...an ethnic thing, not a gender thing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'd wear it, and preferably in the shape of some of the "skirt" designs that will undoubtedly be unveiled in due course.
The mens' kilts will be a "uniform",but for the ladies there will be some variety at least. I'm thinking from plain skirts, pleated skirts, kilted skirts and the "billie kilt", more choice and loads more fun.
The design of the cloth is no more girly or garish than many of the so called "traditional clan" tartans. I'd call it refreshing.
Steve.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

No, Carl, it's not me that has the bright pink kilt, and I won't be ordering one in this wishy-washy dishcloth pattern either. I think they needed something with strong contrasts for a big international event, light-coloured, yes, but bold. Very disappointing.

Martin
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sport Kilt has a PINK "Stewart" tartan kilt available for both sexes.
This kilt has been available I believe for over a year and was designed
as a promotional garment for Breast Cancer Awareness.

LINK to the tartan pattern:

http://sportkilt.com/product/9731/Pink- ... -Kilt.html

LINK to the picture of lassies kilt schroll down 5 rows 2 in from left:

http://sportkilt.com/category/11/Women%27s-Kilts.html

Miladys kilt also comes in a Mini Kilt and oh-la-la a tantalizing Ultra (short) mini kilt

The PINK is not LOUD like a NEON Pink but more or less a subdued pink.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I think if the tartan had equal numbers of the pink and blue (or is the alternate band green?) then the pink would be less noticeable. But, I agree with Carl...I would wear it and have no problem. I also agree that too many of us express a paranoia of any style or color that isnt steeped in machismo. For skirted men to do so seems one more case of "the pot calling the kettle 'black' ".
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Given that this is the official Scottish tartan for this summer's commonwealth game, I wouldn't think any Scot should hesitate to wear it. It's like wearing your favorite sports team's jersey; whatever it is, it is.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron