Long kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
andrew72
Distinguished Member

Long kilt

Post by andrew72 »

Hello, does anyone know where I can purchase a long kilt or long plaid patterned skirt from?
Many thanks as always
Andrew
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Long kilt

Post by Kirbstone »

Andrew,
Your profile doesn't say where you live, but I think you need look no further than http://www.heritageofscotland.com who do a bewildering array of cheap and expensive tartan outfits.
Long tartan skirts are to be found in the womens' section and are not cheap, alas. I have bought lots from them and they do a good service in a variety of currencies.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

While I haven't needed anything particularly out of the ordinary, I can vouch for Heritage of Scotland.
My dealings with them (from southern UK) amount to 2 casual (party) 5 yard kilts and a casual 8 yarder.
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Keep an eye on L. L. Bean. They sometimes carry a 30" length kilted skirt that even has the apron opening on the right.
Max Caswell

Post by Max Caswell »

Ebay, women's full length wool kilts, maybe you can retro to wear dress right opening. I've seen all wool name-house manufactured, full length. You'll have to figger your men's (inches) to women's (number size), maybe ask seller to buckle kilt and measure flat waist in half, then you multiply times two for your waist.
Hello all from the highlands of the San Luis Valley, Colorado
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

If you don't mind spending a bit more, this company seem to custom make skirts to customer designs, look at the bottom of this page and there is a long kilt for a man.

http://www.mode-trend-s.de/7.html

Like I said, not cheap though.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

Stillwater will make any of their kilts in a custom length for an extra $15.00. I'm considering one of their acrylic economy kilts in a 30 inch length.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

There's this one from Pendleton:

http://www.6pm.com/pendleton-lorna-long-faux-wrap-skirt

Or, try Etsy as well; they often have long kilted skirts, too.

Then there's this one:

http://www.bagpipers.eu/mens-scottish-t ... g-kilts-79
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I like the look of the long kilt. I see it even has ordinary trouser-style pockets.

No indication of price though. And it must be very heavy and hot to wear. One for a cold winter's night, I think.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Departed Member

skirtyscot wrote:And it must be very heavy and hot to wear. One for a cold winter's night, I think.

Those were exactly my thoughts too, and which deterred me from purchasing. The purpose of a skirt is to allow air flow, but this long kilt linked above seems to not let any in air at all. I'd much prefer a shorter and lighter skirt or kilt with some leggings if cold...or even just kilt hose.

I found a nice fully pleated maxi skirt the other day and was tempted to buy it, but it was extremely heavy, made of a polyester faux suede material with polyester lining, and it just seemed to heavy and hot for me to justify buying it, even though it was only $6 USD. I still don't have an idea of what to expect in Scotland as to the cold, so I've just sticking with leggings (tights for you lot across the pond) for now or kilt hose/thigh high socks. I'm suspecting it won't be anything like UT's frigid (but dry) winters of below 0 Fahrenheit, but I am a little worried about the humidity. Still though, I think that skirt I almost bought and this long kilt linked above would still be too warm, except for maybe in Antarctica.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The principal meteorological features of the Scottish winter are wind and rain. Or sleet, if you're unlucky. Daytime temperatures are usually around 40 - 50F (5 - 10C). Nighttime is only a few degrees colder - most nights it does not freeze. Temperatures below 25F (-4C) are pretty rare. 0F is literally unheard of in Edinburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh

As for the long kilt, I have a long cord skirt which is quite heavy though probably not as heavy as that kilt. A long heavy skirt does indeed allow for air flow, but I find that long socks are enough to keep me warm.

Leggings or kilt socks - make up your mind, do you want ventilation on your gentleman's parts or not! :lol:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Departed Member

skirtyscot wrote: Leggings or kilt socks - make up your mind, do you want ventilation on your gentleman's parts or not! :lol:
Go skirted or kilted in a UT winter or any northern or easter state during winter and you'll see why leggings are a necessity over kilt socks, especially around one's gentleman parts. As for Scotland tho, it sounds like I might not need them...it sounds like I might be able to wear my sandals year round and go bear legged! I'll bring them just in case...and if they get too hot round certains parts when its cold, I'll just punch some holes in the fabric in that area and create some air vents. :D

I do have a couple long trouser skirts I'm bringing with me tho, so those should help as well.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Too wet for sandals, nothing open-toed - more sturdy footwear needed as once any foot protection gets wet then feet get cold very quickly. Standard shoes or trainers will do fine. Women ignore all these rules and consequently often complain of cold feet. You'll be fine - tights, holdups, whatever are all reasonably cheap over here. Make the judgement call when you arrive. I think that you are worrying unnecessarily. As for the trouser skirts - worst of both worlds - wouldn't be seen dead in such garments.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Departed Member

Perhaps "trouser skirt" isn't the right description-khaki skirt might be better. I mean they are skirts that have a button and fly with pockets (some back pockets too for wallet), but are skirts; I'm not a huge fan of the whole slit in the back, but I do have two just in case. If I find they are not suitable I'll thrift 'em, which won't be a big loss since I got them thrifted. As a general rule though, I'd much prefer fuller skirts, pleated or a-line, just so I sit in them more like I do a kilt and not have to keep the knees together or cross the legs the whole time. I'm so tall that I can't always feasibly stick my legs out, so crossing is what I end up doing most of the time in public areas.

What is a trouser skirt in your definition, Sinned?
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Wore this outfit on a family roadtrip east of the mountains in December 2012. Daytime high temperatures were around 30 deg F and lows were around 20-25 deg F. Layered two skirts (both a jersey knit fabric, one of which was a summer weight skirt, the other, not much heavier) and wore a pair of wool kilt hose with a pair of trouser socks underneath (helps make things a little less itchy). Above the waist, t-shirt with a sweatshirt over it, then the parka. Only things that got cold were the top of my head, if I didn't use the hood of the parka, and my hands. Solved the hands issue with a pair of wool gloves. Spent most of my time there (Leavenworth, WA) outdoors.

Seattle's winters are usually very similar to Edinburgh (typically windy and rainy with temperatures rarely exceeding 50°F), so you probably will be able to get away without wearing leggings or tights, even with a lightweight summer skirt, as long as you keep the torso, from the waist up, and the legs from the knees down, warm. The pic I posted of me in the white/black polka-dot skirt was taken during late winter. Even though it's lightweight cotton, I still find that I'm quite comfortable even in the middle of winter while wearing it.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo