Polaris tartan

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Polaris tartan

Post by BobM »

My submarine veterans association USSVI (United States Submarine Veterans, Inc) has just adopted the Polaris tartan as our official tartan. Now I will just be forced to buy another kilt. :P
polaris 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Polaris tartan

Post by crfriend »

BobM wrote:My submarine veterans association USSVI (United States Submarine Veterans, Inc) has just adopted the Polaris tartan as our official tartan. Now I will just be forced to buy another kilt. :P
I can just hear the griping now. :boohoo:

That's a nice looking tartan. I'm not a submariner (I prefer to be on the surface and under sail), but is it limited to just missileers or anybody on the crew?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi BobM,
That really is a great tartan, better than some "clans" that I won't mention.
Did you ever have occasion to visit Scotland, in your "submersible", and if so, did you enjoy your stay?
Steve.
I feel your pain but you could settle for a tie in "Polaris Tartan". That's known as a "poor man's kilt" in some parts in our neck of the woods.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

STEVIE wrote:Hi BobM,
That really is a great tartan, better than some "clans" that I won't mention.
Did you ever have occasion to visit Scotland, in your "submersible", and if so, did you enjoy your stay?
Yes Indeed. At the dawn of time, back in the 60's, Holy Loch was a regular stop, even for the diesel-electric boats I rode for 16 years. I especially liked Dunoon ( Dùn Omhain), and have fond memories of the Rosegarth (sp?) Hotel. My mother's side is from Ayr, and my wife was born in Stevenson, only a few miles from where they came from. Sadly, I never did get there.
I feel your pain but you could settle for a tie in "Polaris Tartan". That's known as a "poor man's kilt" in some parts in our neck of the woods.
I swore a holy oath years ago that if I am so much as buried in a necktie whoever was responsible would be in for some serious haunting. I'll have to get hold of Matt Newsome over in Franklin and have him make me a box pleated kilt. His hand made kilts are as good as it gets.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

crfriend wrote:
BobM wrote:My submarine veterans association USSVI (United States Submarine Veterans, Inc) has just adopted the Polaris tartan as our official tartan. Now I will just be forced to buy another kilt. :P
I can just hear the griping now. :boohoo:

That's a nice looking tartan. I'm not a submariner (I prefer to be on the surface and under sail), but is it limited to just missileers or anybody on the crew?
As best I can tell anyone can wear it, just like the Leatherneck. BTW, I have a wool box pleated Leatherneck kilt that I got from Stillwater a few years ago. Jerry had it made to custom length for me and I think it was only $130 or something like that.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

BobM wrote: My mother's side is from Ayr, and my wife was born in Stevenson, only a few miles from where they came from. Sadly, I never did get there.
I wouldn't worry about never visiting Stevenston, it's a dump. Most of it is unremittingly grim. And I say that as the son of a man who grew up there. My grandfather lived there for 50 years (fortuately in the bit that is OK).

Ayr, on the other hand, is much nicer, and boasts the birthplace of Scotland's national bard, Robert Burns. (Yes, I know it's actually in Alloway, but it's just a suburb now.)
Keep on skirting,

Alastair