How do you feel when...

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How do you feel when...

Post by GerdG »

How I feel – or how I react? It all depends.

Traditional Kilt
Very few people have ever called my traditional kilts skirts. And when, most comments have been positive. Remarks like “Nice skirt”, “your skirt looks good”, “you look good in your skirt”, “I like your dress” I always answer with a smile and a “thank you”. No need to tell them it is a kilt. They know, I’m sure.
Only if I feel the comment has been deliberately offensive I’ll object to it:
“Actually, what you call a skirt, most people call a kilt.”
“Never heard about a kilt before?”
“Look again!”

Modern Kilt
Despite the fact that a Utilikilt doesn’t have much resemblance with a traditional kilt many people seem to regard it a kilt, not a skirt: “Do you have Scottish connections?” I’m sometimes asked.
But of course, to most people, not familiar with our “world” and who will therefore have no idea of the existence of modern kilts it must be kind of skirt. If they call it a skirt, I can’t blame them, can I?

Sometimes I try to explain it: “It is a so called modern kilt or American kilt ...”
But in most cases I just accept it. If they ask me why, I’ll simply tell them that I like variety, the comfort etc. Or that it is Tuesday. Or that my wife begged me to wear it.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Even when I am wearing my jeans skirt people ask if I am Scottish.
Once in a local pub wearing a kilt the bartender asked me why I wore a Scottish dress. There are a lot of dumb people and I don't care much what they call it.

When my Utilikilt was delivered the address label said Content: Mens skirt, so even UK call it a skirt. And that is exactly what it is.

Jan.
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

I was wearing a sarong one day on Isla Mujerues in Mexico, a touristy area. The local Mexicans boys and young men are very much into the macho thing there and I got a lot of odd looks. However, one finally said something and said "nice kilt"... So yes, there is a lot of confusion, even in Mexico!
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

GerdG said: But in most cases I just accept it. If they ask me why, I’ll simply tell them that I like variety, the comfort etc. Or that it is Tuesday. Or that my wife begged me to wear it.
I really like that answer! It sounds like your experiences are almost identical to mine, surprise, surprise. I get asked fairly frequently also whether I am Irish or Scottish, and I reply I am partly both (although tbh mostly German), but I use that more as an excuse than as a reason because I like kilts. Hmmm...I wonder if the part of my blood that is Celtic makes me like kilts, lol.
Good post, janrok, thank you. As you say, that's what it is, a man's skirt.
JRMiller said: was wearing a sarong one day on Isla Mujerues in Mexico, a touristy area. The local Mexicans boys and young men are very much into the macho thing there and I got a lot of odd looks. However, one finally said something and said "nice kilt"... So yes, there is a lot of confusion, even in Mexico!
I've heard the Latinos are more into the macho thing. I was thinking there are some Indian tribes in Latin America that still wear a long skirt type garment, kind of like a sarong. I had the opportunity to get a young man here in Kansas interested in buying a kilt, I could be wrong, but I think the young men in the US are more open to kilt-wearing and the like.
Thanks again for all the interesting replies. I haven't been here as much because I've been spending time in an (unrelated) forum, "Unexplained_Mysteries". They have a forum which is devoted to politics which is verboten here, but I find it interesting, as well as the fora that are devoted to unexplained mysteries. I hope I didn't break any forum rules by talking about this, if I did please delete this part, Mr. Moderator.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

In another post I described a woman's tartan skirt that I converted to a kilt. When I first tried it on 2 women in the shop called it a kilt even though it was mid=calk length and opened from the left.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

That's cool, Rick. I have something very similar, though I bought it, a kilted skirt, about mid-calf length, pleated all the way around, with a tartan pattern, but it's not even a "wrap skirt" like a kilt, it has a side zipper. I have had at least one person (a friend of mine incidentally) refer to it as a kilt, but it's really a skirt. I don't wear it in public so much anymore though. I really like it, but it has a small hole in it that I'm going to have to patch or have patched somehow. I think there's a picture of it in the member's thread "Pictures and Looks" or something like that, if you care to go look for it. I think I posted it maybe a year and a half ago or so. Anyway, it's not that important.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen too many men in kilts or skirts lately, for awhile it seemed like I was seeing them quite a bit. If only more men would just try one on.
The Kilted Hoosier

Post by The Kilted Hoosier »

A handy man rang my doorbell last weekend. I answered the door in my Sportkilt Comfy Kilt and teeshirt

He was asking if I wanted a tree cut down in my front yard. We discussed the situation for a few minutes. Before he left, he complimented my kilt. This coming from someone who looked as if I would not want to cross in a pub. He rightly called it a kilt. I simply said "Thank You" and that was that.

It was nice to at least have the acknowledgment. So often, others, especially other men, could not give a whit what another is wearing, let alone comment on it.

TKH
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Thanks for your post TKH. I just did a google on Sportkilt, and it looks like they have some really nifty kilts for $49. I assume they're in UK? I'd have to pay a little extra for the shipping, if so. I really liked their solid color and camo kilts. I have two kilts, but they're fairly cheap quality. I like them, nonetheless. The Sportkilts (even the ones for $49.99) look like they are pretty good quality, but it's hard to tell from a photo...may I ask you, are they pretty nice quality? I want to order 3 or 4 more kilts before the year's end, and 1 or 2 or more of them maybe from Sportkilt! :)
Yeah, I get a lot of the "couldn't care less" reaction too, at least that's the surface appearance, but that's better than a negative response, imo. I get a lot of positive inquiries too, many of them from men who themselves have a Scottish/Irish background, and sometimes compliments from the women, even if it is sometimes "nice skirt" or "I like your skirt".
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Mugs-n-such,

The standard Sportkilt is superior to other fashion kilts due to the perfect fabric; soft, light weight and ever lasting pleat keeping qualities. I own two of them.
Don't forget to select the pocket option, it saves you from carrying a bag!
Sportkilts come from the USA.

Jan.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

SportKilt website LINK:

http://www.sportkilt.com/index.php

Reasonable results for entry level kilts at very affordable prices.
For a few dollars more you can get a kilt that will pass muster at
a wedding; funeral or other civic event.
And they even have them for women and children.

"Something for everyone a Comedy tonight"!

And if you can't wear a kilt you most certainly will not be wearing a skirt ! LOL

Oh - and I have -8- sportkilt kilts - very highly recommended !

rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Thank you both. I was looking at their website and I especially liked their black "ninja" kilt and the camo kilts. I notice it looks like you pay a little extra for side belts, the $49.99 price must just be the basic kilt without belt loops or side belts (I don't know if it would be very wearable in that form). Even though I'm fairly satisfied with my "cheap kilts", it would be nice to buy some with a better fabric, I'm sure I would like them better, and I think other people would notice too (that they're not so cheap, lol). I may get a black kilt or a camo or olive drab kilt from Sportkilt, and then get the mustard colored "Irish dance kilt" that Uncle Al was telling me about from "Stillwater kilts" I think it was.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

janrok wrote:Mugs-n-such,

The standard Sportkilt is superior to other fashion kilts due to the perfect fabric; soft, light weight and ever lasting pleat keeping qualities. I own two of them.
Don't forget to select the pocket option, it saves you from carrying a bag!
Sportkilts come from the USA.Jan.
Thanks! Even better for my pocketbook! :D
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Basic understanding of the SportKilt.....

Start the monopoly game at about $50 for small and some medium sizes;
large and extra large 10 or more dollars additional.

Basic kilt is a wrap skirt of sorts with two pairs of velcro pieces mated in the
front apron waist band.
That is what holds the she bang together.

Now for a few dollars more you can:
add belt loops - - - nice and must have for belted wearers - - -
add fringe on opening side of apron - - - optional at best - - -
add sewn down pleats - - - nice makes the kilt look & fit better - - -
add leather buckles - like a real kilt ? - - -
add side seam pockets (like ugh pants) - - - basic kilt already has a pocket
sandwiched between the two aprons - - -

Custom work and adding the options above will extend delivery time and
cost more.

So starting at $50 with most of the additions above you will finish at around
$120-$130.
Add a pair of flashes or kilt sox to run the bill over 150 for FREE Shipping
& Handling - worth it like getting the flashes or sox free.

Member of a kilt forum such as Botherhood of the Kilt (BOTK) inquire about
an affinity discount.

They just had a 4th of July sales promo expect next one will be around the
Labor Day Holiday.

That is enough stealing SportKilts thunder and acting as their spokesman.

"Kilted-Still-Beats-The-Pants-Off-Of-Pants"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Thanks r.m.anderson. Knowing me, and knowing that it already has a pocket and velcro closure, I might consider buying it as is without adding anything (although the sewn down pleats would be nice). I mean, it would be wearable that way, right? What thinkest thou thereof?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

OK - - -
Go to the sportkilt site and in the left margin click on the Original SportKilt.
A tartan kilt will appear in the next page where you can read the details and the
small internal pocket.
Then click on my kilt the Anderson Tartan - - -
What you are looking at is the basic kilt - no bells buzzers or whistles.
Just a pleated wrap (skirt) with two velcro inserts between the front aprons to
hold the the kilt on and in place.
The photo shows no belts; sporran or anything else.
Now after a brief pause in lower mid right a picture will appear of another tartan
kilt showing a belt with belt loops and the sewn down pleats.
One thing you want to pay attention to is the sizing.
The waist is fasten with velcro and in the back waist band is an elastic insert to
tension and make the kilt fit snuggly. For the pleats to lay flat you want to get
the size that just equals your waist (navel) measurement.
Somewhere when you have selected the tartan that you like click on the size and
a small window will open explaining how the kilt looks best when you do not order
oversizing the kilt. This is really important if you order the kilt with the sewn down pleats.
The rear pleated side will lay flat and look more appealing - that small photo will give
you idea of what they and I are referring.
With other kilt makers that do not use velcro to hold the kilt together the leather straps
and buckles on the sides are how you tighten up the kilt and smooth out the rear end.

One thing to note is that if you order any custom features on the kilt it will be non returnable.
Thus a good idea is to get just the basic kilt and if you don't like it you could exchange or
return for refund less shipping.
Now as for the sewn down pleats you probably could have that done or do it yourself.
Once you get the a kilt you can be the judge if this what looks right to you.

The prices start at about $50 for the small kilt and go up fast for the medium large and XL.
So that is another good reason to not order more kilt than you need.
If you get in the $80 some bracket suggest you look at Stillwater or Frugal Corner kilts for
a competitive kilt.
Stillwater has a limited tartan selection - Frugal Corner a much better selection - Sportkilt
has just about 60 tartans and then the unlisted solid colors (custom).

Hope this helps a bit - you can always email these folks for more detailed information.

rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?