How do you feel when...

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

How do you feel when...

Post by Mugs-n-such »

I just wonder, how do you feel when someone calls your kilt a skirt, or a dress? I've had that happen three or four times, and only once did I think the person meant to be insulting. At first, I would say "actually, it's a kilt", but since I have worn actual skirts in public, if they say it now, "nice skirt" or "nice dress", I just smile and say "thanks" and let it go
P. S., I hope this topic hasn't been covered before, just too lazy to go back and read through all the old threads in this forum.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How do you feel when...

Post by couyalair »

For me, it's all one.
"Kilt" just happens to be a name used in Scotland for a certain type of skirt.
As far as I know, for most of the world, one name is quite enough : skirt.

So, gents, please don't be surprised if the rest of the world use the common name for you unbifurcated gaments, even if they were styled in Scotland.
Far more surprising, I think, to hear the word "kilt" used. I was indeed quite surprised the other day, when the doctor asked me to remove "votre kilt, s'il vous plait".

Martin
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

If I lived in Spain, I'd have been surprised to hear the doc speaking French too!

Someone who saw me skirted for the first time asked about my "frock". It took quite an effort not to correct him, but I suppose the difference wasn't important to him. :roll:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

I was wearing my navy freeman skirt with 2 knife pleats each side front and back at the shops when I met a friend who commented on my 'kilt'. 'Oh, a Kilt. Are you Scottish?'. My brief reply was 'Oh, no I'm not, it is a skirt' then moved on with other conversation.
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

I have found about 50% of the time if I am wearing a kilt it is called a skirt.
I used to try to explain the difference but these days I just smile and give a huge thank you to any positive comments whatever it is called :D
After all it is a form of skirt and just like an A line is or any other cut, the thing I take from it all is the number of positive comments.
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Thanks for all the replies! I just had my kilt referred to as a skirt again today, but especially after reading these good replies, I am worried not in the least.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

P. S., I hope this topic hasn't been covered before, just too lazy to go back and read through all the old threads in this forum.
In the eight years I've been a member here, this topic may have been covered in excess of maybe a couple of dozen times or maybe more, but it's always nice to read someone else's take on it. Interesting indeed. Keep up the good work. :faint:

Addendum, I also try to tell folks the difference between Traditional Women's clothing and Traditional Men's clothing in the hope they might give a skirt or kilt or similar garment a try. Ya never know, trying it might get us some converts. Depending on how they look, I also suggest the comfort of a skirted garment as opposed to thick heavy trousers and the summertime uncomfort of sweaty leg coverings like Levi's or heavy Khaki trousers compared to the easy movement of a skirted garment allowing for ease of movement and coolness between the legs in a skirted garment or a kilt. Ya never know where a convert is gonna come from. :D :D :D
Last edited by Since1982 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Thanks Skip :)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I used to get annoyed when my kilts were referred to as skirts. Frequently it was an English person trying to tease me (I've been living in England for about 18 years now). For the last 10 years or so I have been very relaxed about it being called a skirt, and in some ways I encourage this; it adds a positive male association to the word "skirt".

I've met the odd person who has referred to the kilt as a dress. My response is usually humerous, gently teasing their eyesight or similar.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Good post, Ray. I think I've had my kilt referred to as a dress also, I think from now on I won't even bother to correct anyone, if he/she calls it a skirt or a dress. When I was in the nursing home recovering from my accident, I wore home-made (hand sewn) skirts about 95% of the time, and occasionally a nurse or other employee would call it a dress. I'm inclined to think men used to wear dresses, otherwise where would we get the expression "to get dressed"? Anyway, if I didn't have anything more to worry about than that I think I'd be in hog heaven. :D
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I've had to tell that the skirt wasn't a kilt on a few occasions now and I'm in Scotland.
I'm no expert but if someone says, I like your dress, do they actually mean how you're dressed? This could be just the vagaries and interpretation of English. I've had that comment a few times too and decided it's the latter.
Steve.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I’ve had kilts called skirts and vice versa many times.

Calling a skirt a kilt I put down to confusion:

“That guy is wearing a skirt. In Scotland men wear skirts called kilts, therefore it must be a kilt and he must be Scottish.” Obviously flawed logic, but they’ve just been thrown a curve ball they did not expect and are trying to make sense of it. I thank them with a big smile and may correct them if I have time and their body language looks like they are prepared to have a conversation.

A kilt called a skirt is rather different. It is, in my experience, an attempt to provoke a reaction. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered this as malicious, just looking for a bit of a wind up. A smile, a thank you, and (maybe) some light-hearted response has always served me well.

A few times the comment has come from a child, maybe directed to me but more often overheard when they tell a parent. Interestingly in such cases the adult seems to be embarrassed and often goes out of their way to correct the child (even when he / she is right and I am wearing a skirt) so a friendly smile and maybe gently correcting the parent can be effective in relieving their concern and also act as a good ambassador moment for the concept of ordinary, everyday guys choosing to wear a skirt.

What I have found is that having a prepared answer does not work. If I use it, it sounds flat, prepared and just plain wrong. I’m far better off having a prepared attitude and composing the response to suit the situation.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Ian,
Must agree, on the rare occasions that I've worn the kilt, I've only once had it called a skirt. That was at a wedding, pure jest from someone quite close to your neck of the woods.
You're also quite right about responding, simple smiles can work wonders.
Steve.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I was standing in a beer line at an outdoor rock concert wearing my black utilikilt when a voice behind me said "Nice dress." When I turned around a rather large skinhead type was smiling at me. I could tell he was just teasing so I just laughed and said thanks. Later in the day, a rather drunk girl standing behind me wanted to know why I was wearing a skirt. I told her it was a kilt. Then she wanted to know if I was Scottish. I told her no, I just like to wear it. She got quite argumentitive and wanted me to twirl around for her. At that point I ignored her and moved away. Later in the day I saw her on her knees being sick and her boyfriend holding her hair.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Well I got another compliment on my kilt today (I'm afraid my posts are becoming a bit mundane), a lady said "nice kilt", so I smiled and said "thank you". I know this has been brought up many times before, but I always find it gratifying that the majority of responses are either totally neutral (as they don't notice or don't care) or positive, or curious. There is the occasional snide remark when I wear a kilt (very rare, I think I've only had it happen once). I assume if I wear a skirt the negative reactions might be a bit more frequent, even from women (who more than likely are wearing pants, go figure).