How do you feel when...

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How do you feel when...

Post by Mugs-n-such »

That helps a great deal, Rma. I guess I can e-mail them, I'm not sure if I should get the small or medium. I notice the small goes up to about a waist 26 or 27", I think my waist is probably 28" so maybe I should go with the medium, but since there is that elastic in the waist band maybe that would take up the slack and make it look better?
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Hated to start a new thread for this topic, but I just got my new comfykilt from sportkilt, and am wearing it now at Taco Bueno's (a fast food Mexican restaurant). It does have nice lightweight fabric for this hot weather too, and have already received several compliments on it. :)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:cheers: :salut: :kiltdance:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Uncle Al wrote::cheers: :salut: :kiltdance:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
:lol:
As soon as I get a picture I'll TRY and post it.
:rofl:
eta: laughing at Uncle Al's kilted banana, not at myself in a kilt (hopefully, leastways)
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

couyalair wrote:For me, it's all one.
"Kilt" just happens to be a name used in Scotland for a certain type of skirt.
As far as I know, for most of the world, one name is quite enough : skirt.

So, gents, please don't be surprised if the rest of the world use the common name for you unbifurcated gaments, even if they were styled in Scotland.
Far more surprising, I think, to hear the word "kilt" used. I was indeed quite surprised the other day, when the doctor asked me to remove "votre kilt, s'il vous plait".

Martin
In most cultures it is called a kilt, which is the proper term and I am inclined to ignore the uneducated remark, skirt. It is not wrong calling it a skirt but not right either.
Basic kilt is a wrap skirt of sorts with two pairs of velcro pieces mated in the
front apron waist band.
That is what holds the she bang together.
Yeah, you are refering to the mountain hardware kilt, which was nothing more than a wrap arround skirt, who was sold as good as rotten meat.
Last edited by skirtilator on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolyn

Post by Nolyn »

I only have worn a kilt out in public, and I've received a variety of comments and reactions. The best reaction (s) I've gotten we're from upper elementary aged girls, who when they saw what I was wearing broke out into a big conspiratorial smile. I would have liked to know what was going through her mind/their minds, but to stop and talk to her/them would have defeated the quality of the smile. My response, of course was to smile back.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

There is nothing more infectious than a genuine smile.
Kilt or skirt, receive one, return it immediately and some.
Steve.
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

rick401r wrote:...Later in the day I saw her on her knees being sick and her boyfriend holding her hair.
I've never gotten that reaction from anyone when I've worn a kilt. :lol:
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

As far as I know, for most of the world, one name is quite enough : skirt.

So, gents, please don't be surprised if the rest of the world use the common name for you unbifurcated gaments, even if they were styled in Scotland.
Your knowledge of the world is either outstanding or pretentious. I think it is more pretentious than substantial. The anlglo saxon influence in the western world is pretty strong and most english speakers know what a kilt is. Due to the fact that the british empire colonialised most parts of the world leads me to the conclusion that the kilt is pretty much well known in the world. :roll: If ya know how to distinguish between man and woman, you know how to distinguish between an ordinary skirt and kilt and other MUGs, as long as a skirt isn't women's clothes in your opinion.

If you don't live in an 3rd world country with a low education level, expect people to know what a kilt is. At least a tartan kilt should be well known. I usually don't need the approval of others for what type of clothes I wear, so I don't care what they call it. :lol:
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

The pretentious ones are the anglophones that expect everyone to speak English. Many people have to learn it, but not so many people speak it naturally. Most peoples have their own language that covers their everyday activities and have no need to adopt foreign words, even though anglo-saxon commerce does encourage them to do so. I don't think, however, that the kilt industry is quite as powerful as the cinema or fizzy drink industries.

Martin
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

Nope, but imperialism has a certain influence on the local culture + the word kilt isn't of anglo saxon's origin. AFAIK there were Scottish regiments in the colonised areas. Oh, this went way to much off-topic. I'll better have a blast in my utility kilt. :D
BBB

Post by BBB »

Thanks to the Internet and American films and TV, English has become what the creators of Esperanto wanted, a universal language. I work with multi national teams and English is the common language, the downside is that people from different countries and with different learning experiences often cannot understand each other's English. I have often interpreted between different nationalities speaking English as a second language.

As an Anglophone I am acutely aware of our laziness when it come to learning a new language, I have had no problem with my French in French speaking parts of Belgium or francophone Africa, but in France it is a different story.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

The French have a reputation of pretending not to understand when spoken to with an accent or bad grammar. Maybe it's that.

As to English, I always remember the quote, variously attributed, that England and the United States are two great nations separated by a common language.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

As a reverse happening, sometimes I wear a (somewhat kiltish) skirt, and people call it a kilt sometimes. It happened the other day at church (I really do need to post some pictures!).
brucewmbazo

Post by brucewmbazo »

A lot of times I will ask, "Haven't you ever seen a man in a kilt before?" and do so with the best Scottish accent I can manage. It does get a few laughs.