Men in kilts are HOT!!!

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Men in kilts are HOT!!!

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Lately I have been rocking the kilt more and more and absolutely falling in love with this elegant garment. One thing that has surprised me as I read comments about kilts on non skirt related forums is how many people love the kilt, in particularly the women. Without a doubt, 99.9999% of women say that the kilt is SEXY, HOT and MASCULINE. Furthermore, just about all the men say that this garment (which is a skirt) is completely acceptable for men to wear, even if these men are against the idea of men wearing skirts. Its surprises me just how much peoples opinion are influenced by social conditioning. All of us grew up being told by society that kilts are men’s clothing and masculine, therefore we have accepted it as such. Yet, the kilt is still a skirt, in fact, most skirts have taken their design from the kilt. In contrast to this, as we all know, many in society reject the idea of men wearing a skirt, due to more social conditioning that it is feminine. Yet, once again it is no different from a kilt.

It has been my thought recently that we use this attitude to our advantage. In countries like Australia, the idea of men wearing skirts is as foreign as foreign can be. Most of the time if I wear the skirt it isn’t noticed, and when promoting skirts for men this isn’t always the goal that I am hoping to achieve. If the skirt is noticed it often takes people by surprise but doesn’t arouse the excitement like a kilt, especially among the women. I have been thinking about this recently and believe that one of the best ways to promoted skirted garments is for us men to promote kilts. I have heard so many women not only say that kilts are sexy and hot, but wish that ALL men would wear them more often as every day wear. This I believe is a huge advantage to us. I also believe that more men would take to wearing kilts knowing the response of women and feeling comfortable that it is a men garment. I really believe that the road to making skirts popular for men is to FIRST make kilts popular again for men. The kilt suffers none of the taboos that a skirt does; in fact it’s the opposite. There is also no or little effort in styling with a kilt as a kilt goes with just about everything.

What we need today is another “gathering of the Gael” to promote "the general use of the ancient Highland dress" as a everyday garment for men. It’s time for a new revival of the kilt in today’s society.
Last edited by SkirtRevolution on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Al

Re: Men in kilts are HOT!!!

Post by Uncle Al »

Amen :!: :kiltdance:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

It's also probably true to say that the kilt has added intrigue for women (as well as men) as to why it is actually being worn, leading to friendly comment where none would otherwise occur, whereas the skirt possibly sends out a confused message leading to awkward silence. Often I have read on these forums how someone has been greeted with the words 'Nice skirt!'. I believe this will only occur in places like America where folk are maybe more prone to verbal contact. In Britain it doesn't usually happen to my knowledge - just a confused or questionable look. But often I do receive the comment 'I like the kilt!'. That reaction is always of great encouragement to the wearer.
A female acquaintance, whom I only bump into occasionally at dinner parties, knows I wear kilts on such occasions, and was disappointed when I turned up at Christmas in pants and not a kilt. I hadn't realised she had seen it as such an attractive image.

Pete
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I agree entirely with the above, being myself a lover of kilts and acquainted at first hand with the prestige they carry. In countries with some connexion with Gt Britain, kilts are certainly recognized and admired, whereas, as already said, no-one knows quite what to think of a man in any other kind of skirt.
In places where education is limited in scope or depth, however, a kilt is just another skirt and therefore feminine. Let's hope education improves around the world before the funds run dry.

Part of the prestige of the kilt comes from its history, part from its high, not-for-the-plebs price. An expensive garment hangs in the cupboard for fear of its getting dirty or damaged. With more accessible prices, we'll take the risk of wearing our kilts out and about. Now that cheaper kilts are being produced and sold (£100 worsted wool off the peg, rather than £300+ made to measure, and even less for synthetic), the kilt is getting more use and more popular without losing its prestige.
(Personally, I take the approach that if I've paid out for something, I want to get the maximum use out of it, but I'm biassed! )

Martin
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

SkirtRevolution wrote:In countries like Australia, the idea of men wearing skirts is as foreign as foreign can be. Most of the time if I wear the skirt it isn’t noticed, and when promoting skirts for men this isn’t always the goal that I am hoping to achieve.

Maybe not if someone is merely passing by in the street. But surely if someone looks at you for more than a moment they will see the skirt. Perhaps then they think "Hey I didn't notice that at first. It actually doesn't look odd and it's OK on a man." and you have done your bit for the cause. But maybe this is just my wishful thinking!
SkirtRevolution wrote:I have been thinking about this recently and believe that one of the best ways to promoted skirted garments is for us men to promote kilts. I have heard so many women not only say that kilts are sexy and hot, but wish that ALL men would wear them more often as every day wear. This I believe is a huge advantage to us. I also believe that more men would take to wearing kilts knowing the response of women and feeling comfortable that it is a men garment. I really believe that the road to making skirts popular for men is to FIRST make kilts popular again for men. The kilt suffers none of the taboos that a skirt does; in fact it’s the opposite. There is also no or little effort in styling with a kilt as a kilt goes with just about everything.

I don't follow how that helps to get people thinking that skirts are OK for men. If a kilt is seen as being in a special category of its own, neither trousers not skirt, and is accepted as menswear, how can wearing a kilt get people thinking that a skirt is menswear too? Not trying to pick holes in your argument, kilt-wearing certainly can't do any harm, but just reflecting on the position here in Scotland!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

just reflecting on the position here in Scotland!
Why?
Do you think there are more kilts on the streets of Scotland than elsewhere?
I'm not sure.
I have a feeling that for the average Scot the kilt is just another skirt and should not be worn by men -- except on Burns' night, of course!

Martin
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtyscot wrote:I don't follow how that helps to get people thinking that skirts are OK for men. If a kilt is seen as being in a special category of its own, neither trousers nor skirt, and is accepted as menswear, how can wearing a kilt get people thinking that a skirt is menswear too?
Promoting kilts will NOT help to get skirts recognised as menswear. However, it may get more men to try a kilt and realise how much comfort they have been missing out. If those men continue the thought process and realise that other kinds of skirt will be as comfortable, but lighter, cheaper, easier to clean etc, etc, etc they may just try a skirt.

So promoting kilts could indirectly increase the number of men trying skirts.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Good thought, Ian.
couyalair wrote:
just reflecting on the position here in Scotland!
Why?
Do you think there are more kilts on the streets of Scotland than elsewhere?
I'm not sure.
I have a feeling that for the average Scot the kilt is just another skirt and should not be worn by men -- except on Burns' night, of course!

Martin
There are not a lot more, I can go for weeks without seeing a kilted man. But it is an unremarkable thing to wear - they have social acceptance. In some countries kilt = skirt. I wore my kilt in Pamplona once, and I got a lot of disbelieving looks.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Aha!
So you are the one in the photo at the bull running?

Martin
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Or perhaps you were ths one :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quetzlcal/774651302/

Or even this mad fellow :
http://stevematteophotography.com/blog/?p=1205 -- Scroll down!

Martin
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

“men in kilts are HOT”
which reminds me the day I wore my kilt and jacket with all the trimmings in August on a very sunny day I was glad to get home
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Fortunately none of them are me! If I ever go there during the festival, I will not be joining a bull run. Those guys are all loco!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

.....and then there was the enquiry into the dreadful business of 16 people being gored to death in Pamplona near the perimiter palings. The advice was that you mustn't put all your Basques in one Exit !!!
I would think that those knocked about commando-kilted jerks were without exception high as kites.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:The advice was that you mustn't put all your Basques in one Exit !!!
Ssssssssssss.
I would think that those knocked about commando-kilted jerks were without exception high as kites.
It's nice to see that Uncle Chuck is still looking out for us after all these years.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!