First time wearing a traditional kilt in public

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First time wearing a traditional kilt in public

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Wearing a kilt is just one of those things you just have to get out there and do.
Like the shoe company says "just do it"

If the interested party is some one you know, I guess one could let them borrow a kilt with the understanding no going comando in your kilt.
Respect the the kilt and kilt owner.

It is always more fun when you are in a group, if you know anyone else with a kilt, get them involved, perhaps. Two or three.of you and the new to kilts guy, get together, go to a scottish or Irish themed pub to hang out. This is a good chance to get the wife / girlfriend involved, go on a double date. I hate doing things, by myself, kilts is one of them.

As for the stranger on the street, I would have trouble loaning them a kilt.
Possibly keep a short "facts list" hand out that they can have. In short tell them your not a authority on kilts. List no more than three to four resources
As to where to get a kilt, the internet can be over whelming. So the last thing we want to do is over load them in the first 30 seconds.
Maby include a reason or two why you like your kilt, a positive experience you. Had whie kilted, then possibly list a email address or some kind of contact info they can use to ask you questions, etc.

Sample rough draft of mine

Consider the kilt
Welcome to your next adventure, the kilt is a very unique yet welknown mens garment, full of rich history, popular, yet sometimes misunderstood.
the modern day kilt can be worn as very formal attire as formal as tuxedo, or get a casual kilt made from twill or camo ripstop. The choice is yours!
I am fairly new myself to kilts. But here are a few sugestions
Be willing to learn the rich history of kilts
Today I am wearing my ______________________________ kilt. I bought it from ________________.
Shop around, know what you want before you order. Kilts can be a pricy. investment, anywhere from about 40 dollars to 800 + for high quality formal
I Reccomend you do NOT buy a kilt from Pakistan.
Read reviews, and feedback. I bought Used on ebay and got a good kilt at a great price. It is a Trinitykilts Kilt made of cotton twill.
My next kilt I plan to purchase is made by Sportkilt. If you do Face Book check out Kilted United also on the web there are a few kilt forumns, Xmarksthescot.com, and kiltsrock.com
I hope this Info helps and makes you want to jump in with both feet
Develope your own kilt style.
Feel free to contact me via _______________________________
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Tonight I wore my black watch kilt out to pick up a pizza from a chain pizza place.
Even though I've been out in a kilt before, it still took me about 10 ten minutes to muster up enough courage to open that car door.
I got a " very nice" out of the girl behind the counter. As i was standing there waiting on my pizzas, at least 5 more people came into the store after me. Rather quiet and no heard comments or laughs.

Maby next time will be easier.

MishawakaKilt
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...Maby next time will be easier.
Count on it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

A few years ago we met a group of back packers in the Sierras. They were male and female and all were wearing a kilt or a hiking skirt. It looked like fun to me and I decided to try it. I am out in the mountains or the desert at least once a week and always wear a hiking skirt. I have several and am having a tailor making two wrap skirts now. I wear my skirts to restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, camp grounds, ranger stations, etc. My skirts resemble dress shorts and no one has noticed, commented, or stared at me for over three years. I enjoy the comfort and freedom, unlimited stride and ventilation. It's refreshing to drive in a skirt. I have been a non conformist all of my like.

I wish there was a male/female kilt or skirt hiking group.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Well, if you're in Arizona, there's always me. I regularly hike with my hiking club and always wear a utility kilt. You'd be welcome to come along.

Or just google for a hiking club in your area and show up wearing your kilt or hiking skirt. I'm sure you'll have no more trouble than anywhere else.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron