Utilikilt, noticed or not

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by SkirtRevolution »

I have just placed my order for my first utilikilt today for Christmas. For those here that own one I would like to know how you go in public. Do people notice the kilt or do most people not notice at all? When wearing a skirt it I found that 98% of people dont notice that I am wearing a skirt. I am wondering if this is the same with a utilikilt.
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Tassierob »

They were the first modern kilt I wore and having just come back from 5000km in our outback where I wore one very regularly and never wore trousers the whole trip, I can honestly say that most people don't notice at all and those that do seem to accept them as kilts and thus mens wear. Seem for most people easier to accept than wearing a plain skirt which most people unfortunately consider straight away to be a female only garment.
At least that is my Australian experience :D

Rob
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rob,
Presumably this 'our Outback' you mention is situated on that larger island to the North of you called New Holland? If my GoogleMaps are correct, you would be doing several circuits of 'Tassie' to clock up 5000 Km. My preferred method of covering that distance would be by light aircraft, so I could see everything on the way.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

My experience of wearing UK's is different to Tassierobs. I find pleated skirts are more noticed than unpleated designs and the UK is the most obviously pleated skirt I own because of the heavy material. More folks notice and comment on the UK than on any other skirt.

I suspect long skirts might be more visible but I have found that they incite less comment. I suspect it may be because the UK is seen as similar to a kilt and hence more like something a man might be expected to wear. Long skirts create greater confusion and uncertainty in the eye of the beholder.

Bottom line: who cares? wear what you are happy in and your comfort will be visible to others. Most will simply accept you and leave you to get on with your life.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

My experience is as follows:

Granted, I live in the Seattle area, where Utilikilts are made.

Tartan kilts get the most notice. In fact, after a day of walking around while wearing one, you will feel like you're the centerpiece of the dining room table at Christmas Day dinner.

A Utilikilt, pretty anonymous. Pretty much the same as when I'm wearing a regular skirt. Some people talk to you normally, some people do doubletakes, and some people try to ignore you and might have a bitter look on their face. Others will say "nice kilt" or "nice skirt" without coming across as being mean-spirited. The people who tend to ignore me are the same ones who ignore me when I'm in jeans or a pair of shorts, so I let it roll off my back.

Life's too short to worry about those kinds of things, IMO.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

Kirbstone wrote:Rob,
Presumably this 'our Outback' you mention is situated on that larger island to the North of you called New Holland? If my GoogleMaps are correct, you would be doing several circuits of 'Tassie' to clock up 5000 Km. My preferred method of covering that distance would be by light aircraft, so I could see everything on the way.

Tom
Yes Tom that would be New Holland :lol: :lol:
A 12hr ferry trip to get there then a 1500km drive to get to Lake Eyre right in our centre so I could get to se it with water in it, not to mention standing 15m below sea level at the lowest point in New Holland!
RIMG0015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I never understood why New Amsterdam was so far from New Holland...
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Great pic, Rob.
Serious desert there, and with 'altitudes' like that it's no wonder they called it New Holland. I have a Dutch friend who runs furniture stores here, but who says that his house in (Old) Holland is, wait for it...17 meters below Sea level. About 54 feet in Sterling currency. This is situated East of 'Omstadom' in the Polders, where they pumped out the old Zuider Zee. I lived in N.Germany for 8 years and my route home was frequently along there, so I have seen their amazing earthworks & dykes.

I suppose when communicating with what locals you find there you 'Let Stalk Strine' to make yourself understood.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Milfmog wrote:I never understood why New Amsterdam was so far from New Holland...
Ian,
The Irish would understand that. It's the Dutch Diaspora.

Tom
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

When I wear a utilikilt, it is often noticed and always taken in a positive light. People are curious, they want to know about it and kilts in general. It's a very obvious departure from a pair of shorts and I don't believe can be confused with shorts unless the observer is half blind.

Sarongs, skirts evoke a different reaction when I wear these, people ask few if any questions, they are not openly curious. Sometimes I get sneers, but not often. I suspect they have questions and are making judgements, but fear and culture keeps them quiet.
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

When I've worn a Utility Kilt I have definately been noticed and like others have mention it varies from a quick glance to a long seemingly disaproving stare. The only exception to this was last week when we celebrated St Andrews day here in Britain. No one took a second look and I even came accross a few others sporting a kilt that day.
I want to wear skirts without judgment just as women can wear trousers.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Utilikilt designs seem to be venturing farther and farther away from the traditional kilt. The New Standard is described" as a "step-in model". And that "yoked" thing....
Last edited by Grok on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have to wonder if Utilikilt designs will evolve into something unique.
johnie

Post by johnie »

HI, I have just looked at their site, and reading their info on this new kilt-step in - I get the impression its a skirt one way, add the front apron, and its a kilt. What a brilliant idea!! I have sent them an e-mail, and if that is so, will order one. I have worn kilts now for about 18 years, have thought about a skirt, but dont think I have the nerve to wear one outdoors.

johnie
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Having now tried and tested various kinds of skirts, the only ones that I really like are the wrap-rounds, whether Scottish kilt or tropical sarong. Stepping into a skirt and then having to smooth down the shirt-tails inside is almost as bad as putting on trousers. Also, such a skirt has to be just the right size on waist and hips, whereas a wrap-around can be adjusted easily, whether you gain weight or lose it.
I've never been keen on utilikilts, but if they've given up making wrap-rounds, I'm certainly not gong to buy one.

Martin