Utilikilt, noticed or not

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Utilikilt, noticed or not

Post by Caultron »

6ft3Aussie wrote:Done something similar again tonight while wearing my utility kilt, this time a kid that was with his mum made a comment, I noticed that she went red and moved away with the kid, but didn't say anything. Very strange I thought. She never made eye contact with me, looked as if she was confused about what she had seen, and avoided me as though I was a child abuser or gay. I simply carried on with my business and left before anything happened.
Just a local shop not far from here.

Strange or what?
Well, when you dress in an unusual way, you're going to get some unusual reactions. Comes with the territory. Revel in it.

And for all you know, the kid's comment may have been, "Look, that man's wearing a skirt.why won't you let me?"
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

6ft3Aussie wrote:. . . and avoided me as though I was a child abuser or gay.
Yea, you've got to watch out for those gays, could be contagious. :shock:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
danielobvt

Post by danielobvt »

I have been wearing my 5.11 Tactical Kilts a lot. The only people that seem to notice are the people that seem a bit jealous (the last 4 people to approach me have asked me where to buy my kilt). Most people don't really pay too much attention to 40yo white dad (normally accompanied by my very blond, very cute 1 or 3yo), heck most men. You do have to pay a little attention to that the garment is unbiforkated.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

danielobvt wrote:I have been wearing my 5.11 Tactical Kilts a lot. The only people that seem to notice are the people that seem a bit jealous (the last 4 people to approach me have asked me where to buy my kilt). Most people don't really pay too much attention to 40yo white dad (normally accompanied by my very blond, very cute 1 or 3yo), heck most men. You do have to pay a little attention to that the garment is unbiforkated.
Yes, exactly. Until you try it a few times, you can't believe what a small deal it is to other people that your wearing a kilt.

Once in a while you're going to surprise someone. Oh well and have fun with it!

How about the rest of the family? Are they OK with your wearing a kilt?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I have been wearing my 511 kilts all summer into town to the bank and farm supply store. the girls at the bank seem to be more friendly.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Bikerkilt wrote:the girls at the bank seem to be more friendly
One of the things I have come to enjoy about wearing skirts and dresses in public is how much nicer, by and large, people are to me, especially shop help.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:
Bikerkilt wrote:the girls at the bank seem to be more friendly
One of the things I have come to enjoy about wearing skirts and dresses in public is how much nicer, by and large, people are to me, especially shop help.
I'll second that.

Is it because they react differently to me or because I am more relaxed and react differently to them?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I've been told in my case at least it's the latter.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

pelmut wrote:...Is it because they react differently to me or because I am more relaxed and react differently to them?
In all probability, to some extent both.

Regarding the kilt itself, the tellers probably enjoy the break in their routine and your courage to appear in something other than shirts or trousers. Women are much more flexible than men when it comes to clothing styles, and many will tell you that the usual men's styles are drab and boring.

But if you're projecting confidence by being open and friendly, I'm sure they're reacting to that too.

And the two together will get you more than the sum of the parts.

(And BTW, I love it that you're more relaxed in a kilt than in shorts or trousers. Congratulations! You've arrived.)

caultron