So, kiltshopping?

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: So, kiltshopping?

Post by Kirbstone »

Ya gotta be joking, GB !

Electric & LED ? Being out the country three miles from the nearest corner shop we may burn real coal. Truth is, we have enough wood to burn into the next Century, thanks to two hurricanes felling some very large trees in our grounds, subsequently logged. We also have a shed full of 'turf' or burning peat (about the same calorific value as wood) and to add little oomph a dash of coal on cold evenings. Oil central heating does the rest.

Having chosen the brown socks I assembled the rest of that outfit to go with them :wink:

Btw. To really feel the heat from such a real fire, stand in front of it wearing a mini!

Tom
Rs Wearin' o' the green 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kirbstone wrote:Ya gotta be joking, GB !

Electric & LED ? Being out the country three miles from the nearest corner shop we may burn real coal. Truth is, we have enough wood to burn into the next Century, thanks to two hurricanes felling some very large trees in our grounds, subsequently logged. We also have a shed full of 'turf' or burning peat (about the same calorific value as wood) and to add little oomph a dash of coal on cold evenings. Oil central heating does the rest.

Having chosen the brown socks I assembled the rest of that outfit to go with them :wink:

Btw. To really feel the heat from such a real fire, stand in front of it wearing a mini!

Tom
Rs Wearin' o' the green 2.JPG
-----

Sort of like a MINI - HOT AIR BALLOON

Whatever you do - DO NOT LET LOOSE AN EXPLOSIVE FART - albeit a launching pad for something else ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just taken delivery today of a splendid woollen Anderson Tartan Kilt from ScotlandShop, complete with flashes and decorative pin. Material has a splendid feel to it and the kilt is 'modern' in that it has two hidden slash pockets either side of the apron, dispensing with a sporran. No belt loops though, so I'll have to retrofit those in black to match the belt.

Pic soon. Tom

PS Meanwhile, try a few bars of 'Auld Lang Syne'...
Rs Thompson Camel at the piano (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:46 am Just taken delivery today of a splendid woollen Anderson Tartan Kilt from ScotlandShop, complete with flashes and decorative pin. Material has a splendid feel to it and the kilt is 'modern' in that it has two hidden slash pockets either side of the apron, dispensing with a sporran. No belt loops though, so I'll have to retrofit those in black to match the belt.

Pic soon. Tom

PS Meanwhile, try a few bars of 'Auld Lang Syne'...Rs Thompson Camel at the piano (2).JPG
Kirbstone - regards:

So ye went out and got yourself a ANDERSON tartan kilt - congratulations join the clan albeit a commercial one !

No belt loops though, so I'll have to retrofit those in black to match the belt

Skip the belt loops altogether - you can still wear a belt just will not have to cinch it up as tightly as the sole means of keeping the kilt (wrap skirt) from falling down/off.
You could even use one of those elastic cinch belts you wear at times with other kilted (skirted) outfits.

The ONLY time I use the sporran is when fully dressed to the nines in the formal kilt with tux shirt bow time PC jacket cable knit sox flashes and fancy high polished brogues/loafers.

Cut to the chase keep it simple and low key - less chance of being uncomfortable all decked out - who does this stuff anyway - well maybe for funerals and weddings - take your pick !

Have yet to add a Thompson Camel tartan kilt to my wardrobe - maybe this Spring.

RMA
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:46 am Just taken delivery today of a splendid woollen Anderson Tartan Kilt from ScotlandShop, complete with flashes and decorative pin. Material has a splendid feel to it and the kilt is 'modern' in that it has two hidden slash pockets either side of the apron, dispensing with a sporran. No belt loops though, so I'll have to retrofit those in black to match the belt.

Pic soon. Tom

PS Meanwhile, try a few bars of 'Auld Lang Syne'...Rs Thompson Camel at the piano (2).JPG
How did that Anderson Tartan Kilt work out for you ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Pic(s) coming soon, RM, January is a rotten month here for outside pics and our house is now too full of resident bodies, mostly grandchildren for an indoor photo session to have happened in the last month.

Kilt fits well, is heavy and very soft wool, came with flashes and a lovely shamrock design pin. Patience! Last w/end was 'Burns night' and there were two pre-opening charity walks across what is now Ireland's longest bridge, (the RFK bridge South of New Ross, due to be opened tomorrow), one of which I had planned to partake in wearing my Anderson outfit & camera at the ready, but alas the weather was anything but favourable, very cold, wet and stormy, so I didn't go.

For that sort of trip I need better weather at my age, you'll agree.

Tom
Rs RFK Bridge New Ross 1.jpg
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Spending the last one of our weekly £350,000,000 handouts?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Tell me Alastair, Who is 'our' ?

Just to remind you, we haven't been getting any handouts down here from Westminster since 1921 and what we got from them before that wasn't flavour of the month, for sure.

All water under the bridge now of course, but up-coming Centenary commemorations are going to stir a lot of unwanted feelings here, which will have to be handled with kid gloves, certainly.

That bypass & bridge would have been partly EU financed, but with our annual trading surplus we have been nett EU contributors for some years now. Quite a few of our new M-ways have been partly financed by private partnerships and the (infrequent) toll plazas attest to this.

Tom

P.S. At the opening ceremony today a reporter commented on the people jostling to get their mugshot in with Varadkar, our Taoiseach (Prime Minister) in Rugby terms....'If the boys in the scrummages at the Scotland match muscle in as well, we'll win hands down!'
Varadkar & Rose K. at bridge opening, Jan '20.jpg
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Calm down, Tom, it was a joke!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

OK Alastair.
I'll admit that following the ghastly financial crash of 2008 the British Exchequer rowed in with some emergency bridging finance for 'us' and Thanks to the Merkel-driven austerity package imposed in the following years we pulled through and that loan has been paid off. A lot of us got negative-equity burnt fingers, though.

Thanks also to our Corporation Tax policy our booming economy is now driven by a half-cozen multinationals. Some say a case of putting all our eggs in too few baskets and these people could switch to the Far East overnight, which is slightly worrying.

Needless to say we have a lot of eyes on BoJo and his Brexit manoeuvers, but Enough of that!

Alas my opportunity to walk that bridge kilted has passed and from midday today it'll be big artics, delivery trucks and commuters crossing it and there are no separate footways......on purpose. The thinking is that from 120 feet up, water will deliver jumpers instant suicide like a concrete wall !

Tom
Rs Walkers on RFK Bridge. Jan '20.jpg
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This is for a very patient RM Anderson.

With family at bay for a few hours and as I was confined to home I chose as background Alastair Skirtyscot's favourite....the Leaning shed of Kildare.
On the day I failed to locate my big buckled belt which I use for real kilts and my dark woolen kiltsocks went AWOL as well, so Flightsocks had to stand in for those, plus a squeegee belt. It was just 7 deg. Centipede, hence the jacket.
This 23" kilt has hidden slash pockets behind the front apron. Exit sporran. Mind you, the woolen material is heavy & thick and may present problems should I choose to take it flying with me. Problem with wearing it is the inevitable pat-down when the waist buckles set the alarms going at security.
But with things as they are I won't be going off anywhere anytime soon.

Tom
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Very nice Tom
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ah ha the true ANDERSON Modern Tartan !

Nice done !
Flashes and kilt pin to compliment !
Yes a Big ole 3-4 inch waist belt will do wonders to this.

Odd questions did you just unwrap the kilt from the packaging ripping out the basting (shipping) stitches and
slip it on for the photo shoot ?
What I notice is the wide spread hem - like a "A" line skaters skirt seemingly wider than usual but then maybe
the kilt has not settled in place from shipping.
Could be that it is a 8 yard kilt with multiple pleating.
Or just maybe it is because you are wearing it lower than the navel waist but you being some 6' 3" I believe
it is shorter than the 24 inch standard length and it rides above the knees.

Very attractive - you wear it well !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

RM,
I'm only 6'2" and I ordered it at 23" 'coz 24" tends to hit a bit low on my knee. The thing could have done with a good ironing, but I didn't have the time then. Family off site shopping and it wasn't raining. Corona has confined us otherwise to barracks so I haven't worn it at all.

A few weeks ago I packed it away and visited a big new bridge some 80 mi. South of here hoping to use it as a backdrop for a few pics, but when I got there the weather had turned foul (again) and no photos were taken. I left it in that bag since and only took it out for my recent photoshoot against that domestic architectural gem, the leaning shed of Kildare, hence the irregular hang of the pleats. I attribute the flare to the built-in slash pockets behind the front apron, giving the kilt more room at the hips than normal. It's a 5-yarder. An 8-yarder would hang down straighter I expect, but I find them very heavy and too bulky to pack in a flight bag. This one will take up more than enough room.

If things get back to near normal I intend taking it to Germany sailing in the Autumn, but there's a likelihood that may not happen, now.

Tom
kiltguy1789

Post by kiltguy1789 »

I like the look of the shorter length. In my opinion most people get their kilts too long--"two inch rise," and all that. Plus the sheer weight of all that heavy wool, especially in an 8-yarder, just drags it low.