This must be possible

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
RokSterNL

This must be possible

Post by RokSterNL »

Hello everyone,

I think this must be possible for men to wear. Why may women wear mens cloths like suits, pants, shoes ect. Why can't we wear things like this. At this moment I don't wear this outside. The only thing I wear outside is the skirt. skirt for women and for men.

I want to show you several pictures from me in outfits what must be possible.

Greetings from RokSterNL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Looks OK to me....

Post by crfriend »

Hi RokSterNL,

All of those skirts work fairly well and should be OK to wear "in the wild" -- especially the denim one, which is likely to be interpreted as shorts.

The high boots, at least to me, are a bit jarring but that's likely a personal prejudice.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
RokSterNL

Post by RokSterNL »

I try to show one more pictures at this postreply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Looks OK to me....

Post by Peter v »

crfriend wrote:Hi RokSterNL,

All of those skirts work fairly well and should be OK to wear "in the wild" -- especially the denim one, which is likely to be interpreted as shorts.

The high boots, at least to me, are a bit jarring but that's likely a personal prejudice.
Hallo, crfriend, at the moment, here in the Netherlands, boots with skirts is THE combination to have, depending on your fashion look of course, If you just want your vision of manly, just wear hobnail army boots, woollen socks, hairy legs and a camou jacket.

If you want to dress neatly, refined, you will very quickly realise that following the examples in women's fashion trends is the way to go, as it looks good. Part of that is boots. Men's shoes don't work particularly well with many skirts, as they are in conjunction too plump, ungainly. This is a problem for many men, as they want to get the whole line right, the skirt presenting a new line to the body, and a refinement in clothing. Wearing pumps with heels is not what the most men really want. But slim line shoes would be a great thing for us.

This skirt wearing thing we have embarked upon can encompass more than we initially thought. It is up to everybody to fill it in in his own way. Many of us may not get it looking right the first time, but with perseverence, and learning more about what WE actually want as we are going along the line we will get better all the time.

This changes nothing about personal preferances. Luckily there are no two people the same.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
crfriend
Master Barista

Hmmm...

Post by crfriend »

RokSterNL -- The skirt-suit looks good, with (to my mind) one exception -- the cut of the waistcoat. The cut of the neckline is designed to flatter a woman's chest, and I think it looks a bit odd on the male physique. I think we'd be better suited (sorry for the pun) to try to stick to fairly straight lines "up top" (e.g. with the neckline in the shape of a "V" rather than a "U"). Certainly the lower extremity of the waistcoat "goes" vastly better with the skirt than most mens' models which tend to have "points" at the lower edge; straight, in this case, works very well. I think that a shirt with puffy sleeves (like a "poet's shirt") could work very well under that vest as the sleeves would distract the eye from the neckline.

Peter v -- Boots with skirts can work fairly well, if the hem of the skirt falls below the top of the boot. Injecting a strong horizontal line into the natural vertical line of the leg looks very awkward to me, and it's something I try very hard to avoid. Being strongly vertical myself (very tall and thin) making horizontal "cuts" is something I try to avoid as it breaks up my natural outline.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Boots with skirts are very common where I live, I think they're a great alternative to shoes. However, I would go for tights instead of over-the-calf socks. The socks cause too many horizontal visual breaks.
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

my compliments

Post by SkirtedViking »

I think that all outfits suit you,even the so called ladie's suit. Nice boots too and different skirts.Try with blouses. Many women wear the so called men's neckline in terms of tops so keep it up expanding fashon freedom and equality. And most important - do not listen to anyone and do what you like. We give you just opinions here and every opinion is very subjective according to each member's personal views.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
crfriend
Master Barista

On the double-breasted vest

Post by crfriend »

I'm going to revise my earlier comments on the suit combination posted above, specifically my comments regarding the waistcoat.

Whilst I will stand by my comments that the cut of the neckline, especially without lapels, is designed to show off a female physique it should be possible to "flesh the garment out" by wearing a "tuxedo shirt" with ruffles down the front under it, especially in a strongly contrasting colour; that might provide enough "distraction" to take a viewer's eyes from the very feminine neckline; my comment about puffy sleeves stands -- they can work very well on men.

This is not to be taken as gospel, nor even as advice; I intend it as grounds for exploration of what might make some garments "work" for men and what might make them, by the same token, fail.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Although I like the skirts, Rokster, I don't like the stripey top that you are wearing in the first 5 photos. It looks like a football shirt or something like that. To my eyes, it just doesn't look right with a skirt. Perhaps you could try out a shorter top - maybe one that tucks inside the skirt, or if not that certainly one that is about hip length - and more tight fitting than the one you have one.

This is just an idea. But as is often said here, in wearing a skirt we need to be very aware of the rest of our outfit as well, as 'normal' male clothing does not always go well with a skirt.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

ChristopherJ wrote:Although I like the skirts, Rokster, I don't like the stripey top that you are wearing in the first 5 photos. It looks like a football shirt or something like that. To my eyes, it just doesn't look right with a skirt. Perhaps you could try out a shorter top - maybe one that tucks inside the skirt, or if not that certainly one that is about hip length - and more tight fitting than the one you have one.

This is just an idea. But as is often said here, in wearing a skirt we need to be very aware of the rest of our outfit as well, as 'normal' male clothing does not always go well with a skirt.
Very well stated, your last is the most important, as what the others have suggested, is "getting the total look right" Which may differ from person to person.

I like the advise of puffy arms, with some tuxedo shirt with ruffles. That way the whole suit is balanced. Again, I look carefully at how women combine clothes and try to asess why it works. That why I then try to use when getting my clothes together.

The round neck shapes in general shouldn't give too much problems if you can compensate with suitable blouses.

Getting it right means generally that you have to find suitable clothes and invest. As that investing can be costly, I think that is where it becomes difficult, for us as men, as we often have to make do with what we have, which doesn't always work. As men start with nothing, it can take a long time before we either know what looks good on / for us or we can pay for it. That's probably why many men seem not to get it quite right. It's a learning process. Only by actually buying and wearing can the result be seen.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.