Talking about cannonical cross dressing

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
SkirtDude

Talking about cannonical cross dressing

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Departed Member

Re: Talking about cannonical cross dressing

Post by Departed Member »

SkirtDude wrote: They odiously invest a lot of thought / time / energy / money and have a lot of fun with the whole thing.
Do you really mean "odiously" or should that be "obviously"? It's so far 'over the top' (i.e., way beyond 'crossdressing') that it's unlikely to present as much in the way of negativity, as, say, blokes wearing high-heels on a 'normal' day.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Talking about cannonical cross dressing

Post by Peter v »

SkirtDude wrote:This is one of our local traditions:

The High Heel Drag Race (youtube newscast style video)

I'm never quite sure if this kind of "spectacle" hurts or helps our cause. :?:

I have gone once before and it is amazing to go and see how many things people come up with. They odiously invest a lot of thought / time / energy / money and have a lot of fun with the whole thing.
This looks to me as a fun event, OBVIOUSLY not doing anybody, our cause or otherwise any harm. People have to recognise good clean fun.

As for misconceptions about things being "dirty", homo travi and so on, well there is NO community that is totally "clean" especially the large straight community. And how you are, has nothing to do with any community you are associated with, but only with you personally. So now that that is out of the way, these events can show, if properly organised and taken part in, that no matter what you wear, we are basically all very nice normal people, that know how to have fun and entertain.

The only harm there is, is from narrow minded sick creeps that only can see something wrong in everything, and relating these events with men wearing skirts, trying to suggest something not right.

Their suggestion, then only comes home to other sick creeps, as normal people know better anyway.

Men wearing heels and skirts is a style of it's own, doesn't threaten men in skirts, and with good use, done right, can be recognised as men looking good, in their own way. They don't look like Tim Allen's tool time ( home improvement) in a kilt, but we are not all the same. For the puritan manly skirt wearer this may sound awful, but it really is true. Everything we do and have is individually different from the next person, so is skirt wearing by men.

There is only one real cause, that of fashion freedom for men, which can be seen in amongst other things, men wearing skirts, of all soorts. In that group of free men, there are nuances of which skirts are worn and how the total look is meant to be for each individual. The sooner we, the whole skirt wearing community work on getting that message out there, the sooner and easier people will accept men in skirts, and not only manly but all nuances, as no two men are the same. I think that every man in a skirt should not be judged by a general image, but individually as seen. Just as everybody else is "judged" individually when seen nowadays. So if you dress manly, in skirts, there's no need to worry. You'll be seen as that.

Men can be manly, or otherwise in pants also. So I believe presenting only one fact that men can wear and are wearing skirts in all different ways is the best way to go. Presenting only one image as a new fact restricts any other deviations from that, because that would be another fact, being that again anything else than "manly" has to again be described and declaired, and be again apart accepted.

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

To the extent that people don't think beyond "guy in a dress," I think it hurts our cause. There are many reasons a guy might wear a skirt or dress, and it's imporant to our cause that people understand these differences. If people think of us no differenty than a drag queen show, that means they're not hearing our message. We're not trying to be a theatrical act here.

Very Briefly:
*) Transsexual: woman inside, but looks like a man on the outside
*) Cross-dresser: man who likes to role-play as a women
*) Drag Queen: theatrical act in the gay community
*) Skirts and Kilts for Men: a new direction in men's fashion
*) Misc: every now and then, college guys wear a skirt for a Saturday afternoon as a comedy act. It seems kind of like a "straight" version of the Drag Queen.