FashionUnited: New York Men's Day exemplified a new masculinity

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

FashionUnited: New York Men's Day exemplified a new masculinity

Post by Coder »

https://fashionunited.uk/news/fashion/n ... 2091065072
It’s evident that when men are looking for formal wear and tailored pieces now, they are thinking more outside of the box. The days of men just opting for black, white, brown, and navy are long gone.
Not that I want to "meet" men, but where do these men lurk? Even in my progressive area, I don't see guys dressed in fun colors. If the days are long gone, then every man should be dressed in fun colors. But then... fun colors would be boring, right?

Anyhow - besides complaining I tried to look up some of these and - perhaps I was just being lazy - couldn't find any concrete examples from the event. The event has a web page (https://www.newyorkmensday.com) but nothing on that page (I scrolled for a bit but gave up) was the least bit interesting.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: FashionUnited: New York Men's Day exemplified a new masculinity

Post by rivegauche »

In male mode I wear bright colours like emerald, coral, royal blue and teal, but usually just as shirts. I am in a Facebook group called Frock up Friday and while a lot of the people in frocks are men, there are men wearing male clothing and there is one guy who always wears suits in brilliant colours like scarlet and even acid yellow. People love his outfits and he seems to cheer people up just by his colours. So there is a double battle here - not just for skirts for all, but to get away from this depressing black/navy/grey straight jacket males volunteer for.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Back 20+ years ago when I was a cubicle warrior, the only splash of color acceptable with our black or grey suits was in our choice of ties...as long as it was solid, striped or paisley. Fridays it was acceptable to wear a "fun" tie, and I'd whip out my Ralph Marlin fish tie or something Jimmy Buffett themed. What a depressing memory.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:25 pm Back 20+ years ago when I was a cubicle warrior, the only splash of color acceptable with our black or grey suits was in our choice of ties...as long as it was solid, striped or paisley. Fridays it was acceptable to wear a "fun" tie, and I'd whip out my Ralph Marlin fish tie or something Jimmy Buffett themed. What a depressing memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p8Ni1sXBLk
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:29 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p8Ni1sXBLk
I always tell people Office Space was a documentary, not a comedy. :shock:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:25 pm Back 20+ years ago when I was a cubicle warrior, the only splash of color acceptable with our black or grey suits was in our choice of ties...as long as it was solid, striped or paisley. Fridays it was acceptable to wear a "fun" tie, and I'd whip out my Ralph Marlin fish tie or something Jimmy Buffett themed. What a depressing memory.
Oh this sparked a memory. In gradeschool (high school?) I got this amazing book of funny/neat illustrations - "Garner's Gizmos & Gadgets". At some point in high school I made one of the items from the book - which was a tie with a water reservoir and a spigot. I don't recall how I welded the plastic seams - but it worked briefly, though not long enough to wear it to school. Actually, wearing it to school never occurred to me, but it would have made for a quick detention.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Anybody thinking outside the box in school gets detention. That's part of the point of the ordeal.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!