Men's Health: The Internet Is Undecided on Post Malone Wearing a Dress

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Men's Health: The Internet Is Undecided on Post Malone Wearing a Dress

Post by Coder »

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/fitness/l ... g-a-dress/

https://www.billboard.com/music/feature ... 235022091/
While some people praised the rapper's look, another said it reminded them of a school dinner lady
Meh, not a great look in my opinion - reminds me of uniforms worn by the girls when I went to grade school.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men's Health: The Internet Is Undecided on Post Malone Wearing a Dress

Post by Coder »

I think he's on the cover, if this is the cover image:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZMphE_Ozc9/
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A very nice dress. From the cut it actually looks expensive. Even the colours go well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I appreciate the attempt, and wholly approve of the mixing of men's wear with a dress. Same time, not my thing. Not bad, but... It's okay I guess.

I know nothing of this guy, but I guess he's influential in some circles, and he could have done far worse on the look.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:02 am I know nothing of this guy, but I guess he's influential in some circles, and he could have done far worse on the look.
Hi Dust
According to Prof. Google, he is a 26 year old musician, so I suppose has some celebrity status and some notion of influence?
If he is being honest and not just wagon hopping, good for him otherwise he deserves the criticism.
As for the style, hey, who am I to judge but not exactly my taste.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 pm
Dust wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:02 am I know nothing of this guy, but I guess he's influential in some circles, and he could have done far worse on the look.
Hi Dust
According to Prof. Google, he is a 26 year old musician, so I suppose has some celebrity status and some notion of influence?
If he is being honest and not just wagon hopping, good for him otherwise he deserves the criticism.
As for the style, hey, who am I to judge but not exactly my taste.
Steve.
Honest about what? He doesn't seem to be denying his masculinity or status as a male. He's not doing it to showcase his sexuality. He's having fun experimenting with clothing. Same as so many here.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:10 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 pm If he is being honest and not just wagon hopping, good for him otherwise he deserves the criticism.
Honest about what? He doesn't seem to be denying his masculinity or status as a male. He's not doing it to showcase his sexuality. He's having fun experimenting with clothing. Same as so many here.
I think what Stevie meant - when celebrities put on controversial clothing - Harry Styles included - they get accused of wearing said clothing to cause a stir. Does he bend boundaries with clothes, or was this just for a magazine article?
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:15 pm
Dust wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:10 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 pm If he is being honest and not just wagon hopping, good for him otherwise he deserves the criticism.
I think what Stevie meant - when celebrities put on controversial clothing - Harry Styles included - they get accused of wearing said clothing to cause a stir. Does he bend boundaries with clothes, or was this just for a magazine article?
Okay, so fun for a photo shoot? Unless he was forced into it by some manager or PR person and was cringing inside, I think my point stands. Mark does photo shoots, and even said an old girlfriend talked him into heels the first time, but he enjoyed it. So what if he doesn't do it all the time?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:39 pm Okay, so fun for a photo shoot? Unless he was forced into it by some manager or PR person and was cringing inside, I think my point stands. Mark does photo shoots, and even said an old girlfriend talked him into heels the first time, but he enjoyed it. So what if he doesn't do it all the time?
There is certainly a trend in some circles for guys to wear skirts and dresses which is cool.
However, when that is simply attention seeking or self publicising then the motivation becomes questionable.
Certainly got Mr Malone noticed at any rate and in his line that will never be a bad move, career wise.
Perhaps the comments on that front are just a coincidence.
Maybe Mark would have got round to heels eventually and all by himself too. Why do I have a feeling that the girlfriend didn't need the hard sell?
Full or part time, doesn't matter, the choice is what's crucial. I certainly would not be critical of anyone out to have some fun .
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:28 pm There is certainly a trend in some circles for guys to wear skirts and dresses which is cool.
However, when that is simply attention seeking or self publicising then the motivation becomes questionable.
It also depends, I think, on what matters to "us".

#1 If we are about extending fashion forward, any positive press is good, regardless of the wearer's intentions.

#2 If we are about identity or gender, then "inauthenticity in order to be cool" is deeply harmful.

My concerns lis solely with #1. While it annoys me when guys try to be hip/rebels by say - wearing a skirt - my only concern is that people will see through that and say to themselves, "See, no real man would wear a skirt. He's just doing this for attention". I think when the signal to noise ratio is such that there are more guys in hollywood wearing skirts than those that make the press, more people will start to pay attention.

Unfortunately, while I have a disdain for celebrities, I do think they play a big role in influencing many people's lives.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:54 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:28 pm There is certainly a trend in some circles for guys to wear skirts and dresses which is cool.
It also depends, I think, on what matters to "us".

#1 If we are about extending fashion forward, any positive press is good, regardless of the wearer's intentions.

#2 If we are about identity or gender, then "inauthenticity in order to be cool" is deeply harmful.

My concerns lies solely with #1. While it annoys me when guys try to be hip/rebels by say - wearing a skirt - my only concern is that people will see through that and say to themselves, "See, no real man would wear a skirt. He's just doing this for attention". I think when the signal to noise ratio is such that there are more guys in hollywood wearing skirts than those that make the press, more people will start to pay attention.

Unfortunately, while I have a disdain for celebrities, I do think they play a big role in influencing many people's lives.
I tend to agree with #1, but also worry that skirts for men could become some strange flash in the pan fad, and go away again for a long time. So I'm actually kind of glad they are only slowly catching on, and worry a little bit about the flamboyant unwearable stuff. I want it to be a serious thing, not just tic tock famous crap, so I can't say all positive press is good.

I also worry about it becoming synonymous with identity/gender issues (#2?), to the point that any "straight, cis male" becomes ineligible. Not that I want to keep anyone from wearing what they want, but I'm always more encouraged by a random tough guy rapper (or whoever) wearing a skirt than someone who has requested the use of alternative pronouns.

That said, a wide variety of influential men being seen in skirts, all with their own take on it, is a good thing, even if I don't like half the looks.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:42 am I tend to agree with #1, but also worry that skirts for men could become some strange flash in the pan fad, and go away again for a long time. So I'm actually kind of glad they are only slowly catching on, and worry a little bit about the flamboyant unwearable stuff. I want it to be a serious thing, not just tic tock famous crap, so I can't say all positive press is good.
The TikTok stuff bothers me - it feels gimmicky and like a fad that will burn out leaving nothing positive in its wake.