The movement is growing

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

The movement is growing

Post by beachlion »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/29/us/memph ... index.html

Somehow it reminds me of somebody from this forum. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The movement is growing

Post by moonshadow »

Right on!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I hope to see the day when men are liberated from the manditory hackneyed coat and tie look for formal wear.

John
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JohnH wrote:I hope to see the day when men are liberated from the manditory hackneyed coat and tie look for formal wear.

John
I think you just did! The liberty is there... all we have to do is grab it!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Unfortunately, in the "hallowed" chambers of Congress the primo uomi (first men) [in the 1700's sense] still have to wear coats and ties.

If I'm forced to wear to wear a coat and tie, I might also wear makeup, ear rings, skirtsuit, and heels. If I'm really hacked off, I just might also wear a fancy hairdo.
Last edited by JohnH on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JohnH wrote:Unfortunately, in the "hallowed" chambers of Congress the primo uomi (first men) [in the 1700's sense] still have to wear coats and ties.
Well now, they are the "law makers".... The power rest with them! I seriously doubt any congresswomen would stand in their way.
-Andrea
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

A primo uomo (first man) in the 1700's sang soprano and achieved a clean shaven look without shaving.

Joke:

Three surgeons get together and discuss what patients they like to operate on.

The first surgeon says, "I like to operate on accountants. All their body parts have numbers on them and all I have to do is match the numbers".

The second surgeon say, "I like to operate on electricians. Their body parts are color coded so that makes it easy to put things together".

The third surgeon says, "I like to operate on politicians. They have no spine, no guts, and no balls. Also, their heads are interchangeable with their asses.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JohnH wrote:The third surgeon says, "I like to operate on politicians. They have no spine, no guts, and no balls. Also, their heads are interchangeable with their asses.
Truer words have never been spoken!! :D

I keep getting mail and e-mail from the different parties asking for money to help them get ahead of the other party. So I take the postage paid envelopes and put the other parties stuff in and send it along. It helps the post office collect a few cents more. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Getting ahead...

Post by JohnH »

Great idea, Fred.

A certain Pierre LeMont approached a guillotine basket just after an execution. Why did he do it? He wanted to get a head (get ahead).

John
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Well there is a consolation in that we don't have to wear powdered wigs flyless capri pants and a feather in our cap calling in macaroni !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Just to get back to the original point of this thread for a moment: DAMN! That's some dress he's wearing! Too bad the color rendition wasn't better so the gold showed better.

As to acceptable formal attire for special occasions, I have gone to several charity events in special occasions dresses and my evening gown and gotten nothing but praise for them and in one case a "Thank you!" from the organizer for wearing my gown instead of just a nice dress.

So clearly, as Moonshadow said, the freedom is there, all you have to do is take it.

I would bet if a man were to wear an outfit similar to what the Congresswomen wear, while an antediluvian Republican* or two might object, everyone else would be fine with it. That is, assuming it was worn in an authentic and professional manner.

* And yes, I am quite certain that if someone objected it would be a Republican because that is the party that panders to the narrow-minded, Fundamentalists of the misnamed Moral Majority.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Unfortunately the dress code for men in Congress dictates coats and ties. Ties are useless. I call them "gravy magnets", I don't mind the use of ties if voluntary, but I HATE being forced to wear a tie.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:I would bet if a man were to wear an outfit similar to what the Congresswomen wear, while an antediluvian Republican* or two might object, everyone else would be fine with it. That is, assuming it was worn in an authentic and professional manner.

* And yes, I am quite certain that if someone objected it would be a Republican because that is the party that panders to the narrow-minded, Fundamentalists of the misnamed Moral Majority.
I can't deny that you're probably correct. However I'd say this mostly applies to actual politicians. I'd say that the average republican voter probably doesn't really care. In fact, I'll go on to say that if the current commander in chief would show up in a skirt one day.... the next day "men in skirts" will suddenly take off! Especially if he did it for the right reasons, not just as some sort of gag.

But getting back to the voter, I need only reflect on the last five years of openly wearing some pretty flamboyant stuff in some pretty "red" territory. In fact, one of the areas where people seem to be kindest is the state of West Virginia, a state in which not a single county carried Clinton in the 2016 election.

In fact, in my experience I've gotten mild criticisms from red and blue voters alike, however it's important to recall that 999 out of 1,000 don't say anything at all and treat me with dignity.

Eating lunch at a small diner in Oakwood VA one day, (Oakwood is in heart of republican country), I sat there in my denim dress with my wife eating their mountain man burger, we got to talking and it was discussed how things were a little slow and they were a little worried about it. We started talking about my dress and sharing some stories of my experiences wearing feminine clothes in Appalachia. I somewhat sarcastically mentioned the guy who runs the Tennessee Hardware Store, how he was featured on the news for his "NO GAYS ALLOWED" rule, and how it seemed to save his business as it drew every bigot for hundreds of miles to flock to his store to show their support.

The owner's daughter (who was running the place that day), looked at me and said "if that's what it takes to make it... then we'll hang it up, everyone is welcome here, we don't judge".

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly Mr. Popular. I don't have friends calling on me all day every day. The people around here basically leave me alone, they have their own various cliques, and I ain't in it. But... the point being, nobody is egging my house, slashing my tires, calling me slurs as they drive by (though I have stopped traffic a few times). They leave me alone to live out my life on my own terms...

... I can't knock that.
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:* And yes, I am quite certain that if someone objected it would be a Republican because that is the party that panders to the narrow-minded, Fundamentalists of the misnamed Moral Majority.
Dave I personally am a staunch Republican. ( I do not fault those who are not. It is their right to be what and who they want. I just don't want them to try to force me to come to their beliefs.) I have found like Moonshadow that even in the most Republican areas that I am not treated any different by the red or the blue.

While the people in Washington are supposed to be our representatives they most definitely are not. They are there for their own enrichment, they are only after the money and the perks that they get for being elected to their posts. I have never met a politician that was really honest, Most are so corrupt that if they were to be prosecuted they would be in jail for the rest of their lives.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

With one qualification that I will bring up in a minute, what the two of you said rings absolutely true. I am quite sure that the bigotry I conjectured would probably be more to appease what they assume is their voters' feelings about such things than their constituents' true feelings. Like everyone else, I have run into nearly no flak since I started wearing dresses in public and I certainly didn't survey the politics of the people who have remarked on my appearance.

I'm not sure if I'm lucky or naïve, but I don't think the majority of the politicians I have met are corrupt.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.