Flower Boy at Wedding

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Flower Boy at Wedding

Post by FranTastic444 »

pelmut wrote:
FranTastic444 wrote:The Times of London has covered child 'transitioning' in some depth over recent weeks.
The Times has shown a strong anti-transgender agenda in recent years and has published a stream of articles by notorious trans-haters.  This has led to the resignation of one of its journalists.  

Many of these articles have been written by radical feminists or are based on lies spread by them, so I would regard The Times as one of the least trustworthy sources of information about anything to do with transgender people.  The Daily Mail isn't much better.
I had no idea. It is a subject that they do seem to report on with regularity, particularly with regards to the Mermaids charity - in fact they report today on a data breach from the org. What I've just noticed is that some of this reporting is coming from Andrew Gilligan - a name that many Brits may remember from 2003.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

FranTastic444 wrote:...It is a subject that they do seem to report on with regularity, particularly with regards to the Mermaids charity - in fact they report today on a data breach from the org. What I've just noticed is that some of this reporting is coming from Andrew Gilligan - a name that many Brits may remember from 2003.
Since about 2016 The Times and Sunday Times have become strongly transphobic and the number of anti-transgender articles has greatly increased (about 130 negative articles in 2017 according to a witness statement).  They have been hounding Mermaids for some time. and a quick read through the Wikipedia articles on Andrew Gilligan and Rod Liddle, who regularly write transphobic articles, will give you some idea of the sort of people they are.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

BobM wrote:I wear skirts because I want to. No further explanation is necessary or even desirable. Most people deal with it. Some don't. I don't care either way. Why? Because I am a man. No excuses, and no apologies...
My thoughts exactly. I don't try to analyze myself to figure out why I like to wear kilts and skirts. I just do it. Same for my legwear. I'll wear hose or tights with skirts, kilts, shorts, or long pants because I like to.

--Rick
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

FranTastic444 wrote: I had no idea. It is a subject that they do seem to report on with regularity, particularly with regards to the Mermaids charity - in fact they report today on a data breach from the org. What I've just noticed is that some of this reporting is coming from Andrew Gilligan - a name that many Brits may remember from 2003.
So members can judge for themselves here is a link to the article in the Sunday Times (16th June 2019)-
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pare ... tent=22278
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I would imagine that the article is behind a paywall.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

FranTastic444 wrote:I would imagine that the article is behind a paywall.
Yes, that is why i have just posted a link with a share token.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

pleated wrote:
FranTastic444 wrote:I would imagine that the article is behind a paywall.
Yes, that is why i have just posted a link with a share token.
Ah - didn't realise that you could do that. When I tried sharing a while back you only got a brief summary with the option of subscribing.

Some 'interesting' comments at the bottom of the article that are praising Gilligan for investigative journalism.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pleated wrote:So members can judge for themselves here is a link to the article in the Sunday Times (16th June 2019)-
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pare ... tent=22278
What was the target audience of the article? Grammar-school level folks?

That read like an editorial piece, not an exercise in journalism. It's certainly not what I'd have expected from The Times that I knew and occasionally had access to in the '60s and '70s. The "article" read more like Fox "News" than a respected journal.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Shoots down my earlier post about the Times being known for impartial and high-quality journalism.

This is investigative journalism rather than straight news reporting, so I guess it is difficult to write a balanced article when a journalist thinks he has exposed a wrong (not that I'm justifying it).

The journo has a 'history' let's say. There is the 2003 incident that I will not take any further here and since then there have been a couple of incidents where 'substantial damages' were paid out as a result of his reporting elsewhere.

The Times made a correction (not an apology) regarding Mermaids back in January (as referenced earlier in this thread I think).
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

crfriend wrote:Traditionally, a young boy would have been the ring-bearer, ...
It reminds me of the situation a few year ago. When I remarried, my daughter was there and was the ring bearer. The photo thereof I sent to the child support foundation which tried to cut the contact between my her and me on instigation of my ex. A picture still tells more than a thousands words.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gusto10 wrote:[That] reminds me of the situation a few year ago. When I remarried, my daughter was there and was the ring bearer. The photo thereof I sent to the child support foundation which tried to cut the contact between my her and me on instigation of my ex. A picture still tells more than a thousands words.
What was the outcome of that? Did anything good come from it?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!