Skirts are cool, boys are told

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
stevelous

Re: Skirts are cool, boys are told

Post by stevelous »

He could be suspended or expelled from the school, then hd would have problems findingbs collage to continue his studies. Mind the adverse publicity would highlight the head teachers attitude toeards him and nonconforming pupils.

School uniform is supposed to be gender neutral, whatever that means. Mind you he would be better in a longer skirt do that it really stands out as a skirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

stevelous wrote:He could be suspended or expelled from the school, then hd would have problems findingbs collage to continue his studies. Mind the adverse publicity would highlight the head teachers attitude toeards him and nonconforming pupils.

School uniform is supposed to be gender neutral, whatever that means. Mind you he would be better in a longer skirt do that it really stands out as a skirt.
If the length of the skirt is regulation for girls he should stand his ground.

OR put this way +++ "WHAT PART OF UNIFORM DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Round here the length of the skirt is stipulated as being knee-length. Yeah, right. It was always out the door, roll up the waistband. Although recently I have noticed more girls wearing the Academy kilt at knee length than short. Two of my granddaughters wear the school kilt and they look very nice at knee length. So maybe times are a changing.

As for the protester, I suppose that they could expel him but at 16 he may be leaving that school anyway. My granddaughter is 16 and she has just left the Academy, which is the equivalent of Secondary school, and will be going onto the local College. It depends on whether the lad's school has Sixth Form attached to it. And yes, I agree that a knee-length skirt may be politic in view of the circumstances.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Based upon the BBC article about a Welsh kid wearing a skirt that I linked to in a separate thread (also referenced earlier in this thread), I followed a few links from there and came across this article that links back to an incident from 2011. Including it here as the person in question goes on to give his opinion about school uniforms.

Checked out the uniform policy of my local school in the UK. Totally sex-neutral (other than specifying different styles / providers of trousers), interesting to see the use of the phrase 'kilt skirt'. Said 'kilt skirt' is worn by a lot of the girls
  • - Academy tie (purple & gold)
    - White shirt / blouse
    - Black trousers (Male type: Banner Flat Front, Female type: Trutex) or Academy tartan kilt skirt
    - Black blazer with Academy logo
    - Black / grey socks or plain black tights

As this is very much an international site, not everyone will be aware of the reputation of the Daily Mail. As a newbie to this site I don't want to upset anyone who may be a Daily Mail fan or who doesn't like (fairly mild) profanity so I won't post a link here - but for anyone who likes their satire and would like just one view of the Daily Mail, they could choose to go to YouTube and search for Dan and Dan Daily Mail song
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I wouldn't worry about there being any Daily Wail fans here. We are men who wear skirts. That requires a certain amount of thinking for yourself, not something associated with Daily Wail readers. Besides, it's a hateful organ and I see nothing wrong in telling its readers that.

As for the boy who hit the headlines, he doesn't seem to be in favour of boys wearing skirts to school. I wonder why not.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I find it bizarre that what boys are wearing is apparently so damned news worthy. If I were approached by a newsreporter about my choice in dress... I'd probably just give the reporter the "really...?" look.

Slow day at the news office? Go find a cat stuck in a tree or something.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I quite enjoyed reading the Daily Mail but then I have an IQ that is greater than 10 ( binary )and the brain cells are linked up in some sort of notwork so I can take the hate/spite with a bucket of salt. Anyway aren't most newspapers hateful in one way or another as this is a by-product of sensationalism.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...If I were approached by a newsreporter about my choice in dress... I'd probably just give the reporter the "really...?" look...
I'd probably tell the reporter, "They're great, you should try one."

Unless the reporter were wearing a skirt or dress, in which case I'd point out, "Well, you are."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

My comment - Where is the good FAUX news that is fit to print and read ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

While it was going the Sunday Sport produced some very, very sensationalist headlines regularly. Sadly, it's no longer printed.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:My comment - Where is the good FAUX news that is fit to print and read ?
The fundamental problem today is that satire is effectively dead as a form. Life in general today is so close to outright parody -- or even farce -- that there's nothing for proper satire to latch onto and lampoon.

'Tis a miserable state of affairs if you ask me.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:The fundamental problem today is that satire is effectively dead as a form. Life in general today is so close to outright parody -- or even farce -- that there's nothing for proper satire to latch onto and lampoon.
"Kim Jong-un offers to mediate hostilities between US and Canada."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron