A CNN article on our society's lopsided gender standards

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

A CNN article on our society's lopsided gender standards

Post by Yonkas »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/health/b ... urce=quora

It's nice to see somebody on a mainstream site mention this altogether too obvious double standard. What's really awesome about it is that that author makes no mention of gender preference, or identity. Why, it's almost as if a guy can want to do traditionally girlish things without either being gay, or trans. What a novel idea! :roll:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A CNN article on our society's lopsided gender standards

Post by Sinned »

Thank you for posting this link as it raises many of the points that we discuss in our threads about wearing clothes because we like them and that gender should have no place. I will try and get MOH to read this article as it may go part way to explaining my position in the scheme of things. She may think that I am just going on about men in skirts again though. I'll leave the article open for the time being. Thanks for posting it as it does remind us that we do have other allies out there who see that wearing a garment just because it is liked for itself is possible without the gender ramifications that surround it. Like most on this site I like wearing a skirt because it is comfortable, suits my style and looks good on me. I also don't want to wear a skirt exclusively but for it to become an essential part of my wardrobe. The fact that it is marketed at women is immaterial. And that goes for all the other so-called women's clothes that I wear. MOH thinks that I am being selfish and uncaring about hers and others feelings in wearing a skirt. Admittedly, I don't care about others' opinions but I do care about hers and her inability to see my point of view which does limit my skirt wearing somewhat. The article is good and does include some hesitancies in what her son is doing but she's right at the end when she says that she should be supporting him and I think that MOH should be supporting me not holding me back.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

The article was spot on. It makes so many points that I make to people several times a week when I'm out and a bout. A really important I feel is: "We want our boys to keep being like boys because masculinity is still where the power lies. And we want our girls to be more like boys for the same reason." We probably get more acceptance from women than men, on the whole, because women will mostly value and respect women, which means for them it's not a weakness to wear clothing predominantly worn by women. If anything, I would say that, in my experience, women appreciate and perhaps even admire men wearing skirts as men because we are challenging societal norms.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The article explains a lot of what I've been saying for a long time in my travels.

Now if we can just get Fox News to do a story like this.... all men in the southeastern U.S. would be out wearing their skirts the following day! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Now if we can just get Fox News to do a story like this....
In what substantial manner is Fox "News" all that different from C"N"N? (Happily throwing petrol on the fire, and whistling merrily doing it.)

I'd have been a bit happier if the thing had originally been penned by a guy, but I'll take what I can get, and the overall tone was pretty good.

Is there hope? I don't know. I just know I'm not ready to place a wager on skirts becoming common for guys in the West any time soon. :(

Sad face aside, the only conceivable way forward is to wave the flag with confidence and surety. Skirt on!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:In what substantial manner is Fox "News" all that different from C"N"N? (Happily throwing petrol on the fire, and whistling merrily doing it.)
I've often wondered, when I "preview" a post, if I delete out something before finally submitting it, does the moderation team, or administrator have access to the original "preview"? Because now that you mention it, I had a much more colorful explanation of the differences between the two, but I refrained... :lol: :D

Are you baiting me my friend? :wink: :P

Well.... since you asked... :twisted: I'll see you're petrol fueled fire and raise you one Tomahawk missile....

The main difference between Fox News and CNN is a matter of religion! Some people "religiously" follow one, and other people follow the other. Both sides think the other is wrong all of the time and vice versa. Neither realize it's all part of a big con from the ruling elite, the 0.001% of the 1% that run the world, working to keep the poor working class blaming each other for their problems, all the while keeping the eyes off those who are really milking humanity for all it's worth.

Around here CNN is "of the devil", wearing a skirt, even a girly one is tolerated, but there's just two things you don't do in these here parts... be a Muslim, or watch CNN.... Likewise Fox News is a direct "gift from God". I ain't even making this up.... I have literally talked to people who believe our commander and chief is actually heavenly sent to cleanse the world of those who "don't think German thoughts".....

Thus, CNN simply isn't regarded as a credible source of "news" around here... I dare say because CNN seems to promote the idea of gender equality, at least in this article, locals here will naturally light their torches and sharpen their pitch forks, and prepare to burn any male who wears what pertaineths to a woman on a stake! Again, if Fox promoted it, it would practically be scripture! Because remember, G.O.P. actually stands for "Gods only people", and don't you forget it buster! :lol: :eye:

Remember.... you asked... :lol: :lol:

*duck and cover*

:hide:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I've often wondered, when I "preview" a post, if I delete out something before finally submitting it, does the moderation team, or administrator have access to the original "preview"?
The short answer is, "No." So's the long answer for that matter.
Are you baiting me my friend? :wink: :P
Nope. If I was, you'd never have asked. :twisted:
Well.... since you asked... :twisted: I'll see you're petrol fueled fire and raise you one Tomahawk missile....
Verify the range. One ping only.
The main difference between Fox News and CNN is a matter of religion! Some people "religiously" follow one, and other people follow the other. Both sides think the other is wrong all of the time and vice versa.
Ah, but what happens when you back off a few paces and look at the matter again? Two words: "Glenn Beck". History counts. Personnel count.

CNN was OK back in the days of Ted Turner so long as one balanced it out using other sources (Does anybody do that these days?) and didn't take it as gospel. It was better than some (e.g. Rupert Murdoch's empire), but worse than others (e.g. the BBC at the time). Truth in reporting is a moveable target, and the target is a rapidly-moving one in this day and age. Compounding the problem is that the "News Cycle" is so blasted short that one never gets closure on one debacle before the next one hots up.

Somebody needs to stop shaking that teacup.
I have literally talked to people who believe our commander and chief is actually heavenly sent to cleanse the world of those who "don't think German thoughts".....
That's actually a bit scary. Do any of them know where Germany is? What it's history is? Know any Germans or anybody of German descent? One German guy that my late dad knew well in the early 1980s commented rather wryly on the amount of flag-waving the in the United States at the time, "We had a bit too much of that a few years ago."
:hide:
Aw, what's that for? I didn't even open the torpedo-tube door.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

another article by CNN on lack of gender bounders:
https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/t ... index.html
I take it that in the fox country it would be talking of the devil.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Seem to me more like an article about how you can deflect criticism by joining a religious elite. Worked for kiddie-fiddling priests too, for a long time.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Am I getting too cynical in my old age?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Am I getting too cynical in my old age?
Nope. Wisdom is starting to seep in there somewhere.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Oh, good. I was wondering when that would happen.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair