Boys wore skirts to school in Lawrence, Ma

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
DonP

Boys wore skirts to school in Lawrence, Ma

Post by DonP »

Girls in this charter school are required to wear skirts after April first. Since it was cold and not typical April weather, some girls wore pants in protest and some boys wore skirts in support.

https://wbznewsradio.iheart.com/content ... ress-code/ it
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Boys wore skirts to school in Lawrence, Ma

Post by crfriend »

Yet another victory for the matriarchy and another bad-news moment for the boys.

At what point will wearing trousers be considered "cross-dressing"? Or, at what point will boys and men be left with no choice at all whatsoever? And what will they wear then? Prison-orange jumpsuits?

Enough of the trite little "protests". Attack the root cause of the issue -- gross inequality, and, worse, shifting inequality -- head on. Man up, for crying out loud.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Enough of the trite little "protests".
Yeah, it does seem like they're getting to be a dime a dozen....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Where does it mention the boys in skirts?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Where does it mention the boys in skirts?
It seems as though the article has since been edited.

We can't exactly encourage the boys to wear skirts -- even obliquely -- now can we.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Try this:

https://whdh.com/news/boys-wear-skirts- ... ress-code/

However let me just say, this article is bullsh!t.

What they had before was gender equality, what they are going towards in gender inequality.

Wha-wha-whaat??

Let me explain...

Nowhere in the article does it mention that the dress code will be amended to allow boys to wear skirts, only for girls to be allowed to wear trousers until the end of the year. The "gender equality" of boys isn't even mentioned, thus it can be assumed that no changes will be made to the current code in this regard.

THUS, we can conclude that the school in question is moving toward gender INEQUALITY.

Prior to this, they had equality, in a manner of speaking because both genders shared the same restriction. Neither had the right to choose, thus they shared an ironic equality.
From the article wrote:Carrero says the 23-year-old handbook policy will be changed, temporarily at first. The board of trustees will be asked to allow girls to wear their winter uniforms until the last day of school.
As I've said time and time and time again on this site and elsewhere, these boys don't give a damn about skirts, and the girls could care less about the boys freedom to choose as well. Skirts are giiirrrllyyy.... *eewww* It's all just a big publicity stunt to promote more choices for girls and women.

Oh well, if the people in question are too stupid to see past something as simple as the outdated and archaic practice as separate clothes for men and women, then the hell with them. Let them sweat their balls off in the summer. The people on this website obviously "get it", and additional men trickle in all of the time.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

What's even more stupid is that the article ways that teachers tried to force the boys to remove their skirts. What if the boy didn't have any shorts or trousers on him? Was the boy supposed to walk around in his underwear? In the cold weather? I notice that the article didn't say that the teachers tried to get the girls to take off their trousers.

Yes a victory for the girls with the boys unwittingly used as pawns in the game.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

crfriend wrote:Yet another victory for the matriarchy and another bad-news moment for the boys.
Yet another tiresome rant about increasing inequality and boys losing out where it is not actually happening. It seems that several people here are unable to grasp very basic concepts, read articles without looking for a subversive subtext, or do that much additional research. As is already present with so many schools across several countries what is being asked for here is a gender neutral uniform. How is that increased inequality? The protest was being supported by boys so how be seen as a victory for matriarchy? What have boys protested for and not been listened to or had it granted?

Here's another article on the school:
http://www.eagletribune.com/news/merrim ... 9775b.html

Perhaps you could explain the inequality in the Lawrence school uniform policy here as I seem to be missing it:
https://www.lawrence.k12.ma.us/files/lp ... nglish.pdf

On a further note, I, and you will likely find many others, object strongly to the use of the expression "Man up". There can be few phrases that are more destructive, not to mention sexist, than this. Not only does it masculinise emotions such as anger but it treats women as inferior. There are enough articles on the matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote:As is already present with so many schools across several countries what is being asked for here is a gender neutral uniform. How is that increased inequality? The protest was being supported by boys so how be seen as a victory for matriarchy? What have boys protested for and not been listened to or had it granted?
Indeed, there usually is "equality" in the matter, but the males never exercise the (suggested) right, and if they did the level of abuse they'd likely suffer would be traumatic enough to put them off the notion.

The issue here is the societal pigeon-holing of men and boys into increasingly smaller "boxes" all the while expanding the things "allowed" for girls and women. To be brutally honest, most men just don't care enough about it to do anything -- or are too nervous about the backlash that might happen.
On a further note, I, and you will likely find many others, object strongly to the use of the expression "Man up".
I dislike it as well, and I used it explicitly for effect.
Not only does it masculinise emotions such as anger but it treats women as inferior. There are enough articles on the matter.
Does "Hell hath no fury..." feminise anger as an emotion, then?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

SkirtsDad wrote:Perhaps you could explain the inequality in the Lawrence school uniform policy here as I seem to be missing it:
I'd be more than happy to S.D,

First off, you quoted the wrong guidelines. Though I'm not familiar with the school structure in Massachusetts, you cited the Lawrence County Public School system policy, which doesn't mention sex, thus would seem to fall in line with gender equality with regards to uniforms.

The school is question is The Lawrence Family Development Charter School, which falls out of the purview of the county public school system.

At any rate, if you go to their website: http://www.lfdcs.org/

and download their handbook: http://www.lfdcs.org/images/stories/Parent-Student_Handbook_2017-2018_FINAL.pdf,

then go to page 24/25. All you need to see is there. Good old fashioned gender inequality!
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Additionally S.D.,

And I mean this with all due respect, but why do you get all bent out of shape when someone suggest that there might just be a bias against men in western culture? Now I'm not saying that women are without their plights. There is indeed a "good ole boy" network at play in the U.S., especially in smaller southern companies that probably contribute to a wage gap to an extent. Additionally I know some women have to "flirt" to make it in certain industries, but in many they don't, and in many progressive U.S. companies, women are paid just the same and pride themselves on women's advancement.

However to say that men always have the upper hand and never experience prejudice, injustice, a bias against them just because they're men is just plain wrong. What's worse, is when a man opens his mouth about it in these modern times, everyone just jumps up and points a finger at him and sarcastically says things like "just like a MAN... always a VICTIM!" "it's always about MEN"" Men aren't allowed to speak in their defense, lest they are chastised and be told to "shut the hell up", "you're just a man! Get over it!"

I've seen the phrase "man up" used by quite a few angry feminist when God forbid a man find himself on the loosing end of a already biased situation against him.

Now I'll grant that much of this is man's own fault because he is "too manly" to stand up and demand change and fairness, but that doesn't change the issue that it still happens.

Here's an actual example. A coworker was telling me a story the other day about how he got rear ended by a cute teenage girl while he was sitting at a stop light. A full on impact. The investigation revealed that the girls cell phone was laying in the floor board of the drivers seat with a text bubble active.

You know what happened to the girl? Not a damned thing! The Tennessee cop didn't even press charges. Wonder how that would have went down if it were a man texting?

If a cop is called to a domestic dispute between a man and a woman, if the woman is beating on the man, the officers will "counsel the woman" politely, maybe take her in to cool off and to seek help. If a man even so much as blocked her attack (thus requiring him to make physical contact with her), he will be wrestled to the ground, cuffed, and dragged to jail.

You might find this interesting, if you're open minded enough to believe that not all women are faultless:
http://abusedmen.com/the-whole-truth-about-domestic-violence/

So why not just stop it? It seems every time somebody has the audacity to suggest that males might just be at a disadvantage on a matter, an army of feminist line up to put the proverbial duck tape over the speakers mouth, as if to suggest that a man isn't even allowed to speak in his own defense.

I tried being a feminist. I keep getting kicked out of their club when I mention some man who got the short end of the stick on a matter, as though to even suggest such a thing is a blaspheme among them (feminist). So f__k 'em... I don't even care anymore. Besides, they have a world of support, virtually all politicians, all judges, all matters of law, over half the population, etc, etc... they don't need the likes of me anyway...

EDIT: Rather than make another post, I'm going to add in this video here that I thought was interesting. The moment I watched it I realized we have a big problem in our culture, and it's being completly ignored. I'm frankly surprised that a major television new organization like ABC even did any coverage on it. You won't find a bigger example of sexist double standards, and more than a few on this site have stories similar...
https://youtu.be/LlFAd4YdQks
--This is why I got off the "feminism train". They've got more than enough support, too much it seems.

The moral of the video? Well it seems if you're being attacked by a woman your only recourse is to run like hell, and hope you still don't arrested anyway. You heard what the cop said... he didn't care about the man. We're on our own guys.
Last edited by moonshadow on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

moonshadow wrote:At any rate, if you go to their website: http://www.lfdcs.org/

and download their handbook: http://www.lfdcs.org/images/stories/Par ... _FINAL.pdf,
However in all fairness to you S.D., I seem to have quoted the un-amended handbook. Whereas the article in question states that a new handbook more "equal" to the sexes will be issued later. As it is, the press releases seem to indicate that only the girls will have their part of the handbook amended.

We'll just have to wait and see. If they change the uniform policy to reflect the right to choose for both boys and girls, I will recall this thread, and gladly eat my words!

But this is concerning (from the link you posted):
From S.D.'s article wrote:She also called for a gender-neutral uniform to protect the rights of transgender students, who may identify differently than the gender on their birth certificates and would want to dress accordingly.
Ahhhh... there it is... Not that I am against transgender rights, but I'll bet you that this will be another matter of "boys can't wear skirts, only girls, and those who identify as girls".
-Andrea
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

moonshadow wrote:
SkirtsDad wrote:Perhaps you could explain the inequality in the Lawrence school uniform policy here as I seem to be missing it:
I'd be more than happy to S.D,

First off, you quoted the wrong guidelines. Though I'm not familiar with the school structure in Massachusetts, you cited the Lawrence County Public School system policy, which doesn't mention sex, thus would seem to fall in line with gender equality with regards to uniforms.

The school is question is The Lawrence Family Development Charter School, which falls out of the purview of the county public school system.

At any rate, if you go to their website: http://www.lfdcs.org/

and download their handbook: http://www.lfdcs.org/images/stories/Parent-Student_Handbook_2017-2018_FINAL.pdf,

then go to page 24/25. All you need to see is there. Good old fashioned gender inequality!
Thank you for that info - I had quickly looked for the ones you found... unsuccessful. I was aware that guidelines were not for the actual school, however I was sure that there would be little point in posting current uniform policy (should I have found it) as this is only now going under review so the final changes are completely unknown. This was more to show that schools within the same area are making an effort and, given that the commentary from the Charter school is that they are looking to move to a gender-neutral policy then I would hope that the new policy would be similar to the one I posted. Apologies if anyone was misled.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

SkirtsDad wrote:Thank you for that info - I had quickly looked for the ones you found... unsuccessful. I was aware that guidelines were not for the actual school, however I was sure that there would be little point in posting current uniform policy (should I have found it) as this is only now going under review so the final changes are completely unknown. This was more to show that schools within the same area are making an effort and, given that the commentary from the Charter school is that they are looking to move to a gender-neutral policy then I would hope that the new policy would be similar to the one I posted. Apologies if anyone was misled.
Well, thank you for your response. I normally almost cringe when I write something like I did above online as it tends to start "wars". However as I said a few post below that I may also have been mistaken in the long run as I quoted the old handbook, not the new one that has yet to be released.

Again, we'll just have to see how it comes out in the end.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote:[...] This was more to show that schools within the same area are making an effort and, given that the commentary from the Charter school is that they are looking to move to a gender-neutral policy then I would hope that the new policy would be similar to the one I posted.
A point here that has likely flown below the RADAR is that charter schools are not public schools in Massachusetts and can operate under extremely, sometimes radically, different rules. It's a bit of a heated topic around here with much noise being made on all sides. So, a charter school requiring what might seem like an archaic uniform policy isn't particularly surprising at all -- especially given that this in New England which, even to this day, has a very strong Puritanical outlook on things. Unfortunately, all the furore is generating is much heat but precious little light.

The "uniform" code for the public system is even-handed and uses neutral sex/gender wording using SD's link as the exemplar. This is an improvement on the past. However, we are faced with the conundrum that a right not exercised -- in this case the implicit right for a boy to don a skirt in the public school system -- is effectively a non-existent right. Furthermore, rights that are not exercised regularly and visibly tend to disappear legally over time.

Silence in this case is the boy's and man's worst enemy -- and boys and men are taught to be strong and silent. I.e. "Don't whine." In the hypothetical case above -- that of a boy willingly wearing a skirt to school by choice -- how much grief, up to and including physical assault, do you suppose the lad would get? Would he receive the support of the school administration, the general public, or the law? I rather doubt it.