[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
skirtcafe.org • View topic - Roseanne sitcom restart

Roseanne sitcom restart

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.

Re: Roseanne sitcom restart

Postby pelmut » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:07 pm

There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Postby moonshadow » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Understood pelmut.

I get the difference between sex and gender. Where I get hazy is where the line is. It seems based on what I read the line is more or less where the subject person says it is. On that note I can also understand the opponents resistance to the "trans experience" as from their (the opponents) point of view it appears as though what defines trans is somewhat arbitrary at best... outright fantasy at worst.

Where does my opinion lay? Well not that it matters, but as far as I'm concerned it really doesn't matter to me. I like ti think eventually it will get to the point where it won't matter to anyone and people will just be people. Trans and cis being rendered obsolete.

Additionally while the term "transgender" may be the newest trend, the difference between sex and gender is anything but new. What's "new" is the traditionalist and neo-cons insistence on calling them one and the same. I've read literature printed from the early 20th century to the 1960s that specified a difference. I can quote some of this later when I'm not in my phone and it's not trying to autocorrect pelmut to peanut. :lol:

Or of it doesn't matter to anyone I can save my time. Either or.... I present it just for reference. I'm not interested in a trans debate as I generally don't care either way. I personally am no more or less trans than a woman who hunts or fixes old cars or a man who tends flowers or raises children. People are going to do and say what they are going to do and say regardless of what I think or pull out of an old book. This is 2018 and opinions always win out.
-Moon Shadow
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Postby pelmut » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:31 pm

There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Caultron » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:38 pm

-- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Postby moonshadow » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:08 pm

-Moon Shadow
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Postby moonshadow » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a problem. It's just very confusing, and the definitions do seem to change regularly. I try to be supportive, but it's hard to support something that's all over the damned place. It's like trying to move a big piece of furniture with nothing to grab a hold of. Understand my nature, I am very obsessive and compulsive about things. Stuff has to "line up" a certain way, and generally everything must balance or I get a tic about it. [0]

Regarding the OP... the kid will be trans if the network determines it would be profitable for the show. And since controversy is highly profitable, and trans-issues are highly controversial, then yes, I tend to believe that he will be trans before it's said and done.

[0] I told you I was insane.
-Moon Shadow
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Kirbstone » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:49 am

Inscribed on he famous British comedian Spike Milligan's gravestone:

'I told you I was ill !'

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Postby pelmut » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:47 am

pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:58 pm

crfriend
Master Barista

Postby moonshadow » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:08 pm

Very good points all, much to chew on.

In seeking possible solutions, I believe we need not look further then our female counterparts. Females (women) have been playing both genders for the better part of half a century now, and for the most part are generally not "confused" about their place, and society respects and accepts them as they are (just normal women mostly).

Now I realize that asking, or even expecting society in general to apply the same set of social standards to men would be like trying to lasso the moon and pull it to Earth, perhaps the only thing that "men in skirts", as well as transgender women can do to lessen their social drama is to just try not to worry about it. In my observation, people can not be forced to change, it almost always has to be voluntary. In other words, just be who you are. Forgive the haters, cherish the friends, and carry on with life.

As for the haters, well, as an old friend of mine used to say, "he'll get over it or die miserable".

Though I may not be changing any closed minds here in Lebanon Virginia, God only knows how many young boys (children) I've encountered who, despite the warnings from their parents, will remember that odd guy in a skirt they saw at Walmart back when they were 8 years old. Now that they're in their 20's or 30's... they might try to give it a go.

Us doing what we do in public, the Roseanne show, and others.... we're just planting seeds for the future. And just as when you plant a seed, you don't reap the yield immediately. It takes time for the idea to grow.
-Moon Shadow
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Postby skirtyscot » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:58 pm

I think I'm with Moon and Carl on this. If we stop saying that men must behave in certain ways (and, importantly, must not behave in certain other ways), and the same for women, then most of the problems will disappear.

Most of the pressure is in the one direction. Women are celebrated for breaking into traditionally male areas; men are still often ridiculed for moving into traditionally female areas. And as Carl says, the effect of this is to move the boundary towards the masculine end so that men have less and less room to manoeuvre.

My sons were in the Boys' Brigade. The object of the BB is "The advancement of Christ's kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Obedience, Reverence, Discipline, Self-respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness." That was written a while ago and it feels old-fashioned now. But it is a damn sight better than the current suggestions for masculine behaviour. It would be good for everyone if we backtracked.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:47 pm

crfriend
Master Barista

Postby moonshadow » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:17 am

-Moon Shadow
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:48 am

crfriend
Master Barista

PreviousNext

Return to In the News / Advocacy