The boys are not all right

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The boys are not all right

Post by Gusto10 »

Having read through the article and than the comments, I can't say much more than that the issue is more complicated. The article has in my opinion cut corners in order to generalise and let it become attractive, a bit hype like.
I don't think that there is a relation between nutcases shooting at schools and the feminization of men.
Men have always been the caretakers of women (battles to gain land and ,levy taxes by force, women were the ones who ran in the forgone centuries the (household) economics. Things started to change in the 17th century when international trade increased. In the recent decades women became again more educated and are slowly taking over the major spots in public live. Ms yellen as president of the federal reserve, Christine Lagarde as president of the IMF, Angela Merkel as president of Germany, as e few examples of women taking serious posts. Also more managers, CEO of Shell and HP.
In one of the August editions of Newsweek in 2010, it was indicated that after the financial crisis, women would have many of the most important spots in the financial world. Newsweek was right.
Presently there is a change going on, a redefining of the interaction between men an women. I just started of n the book Revolution Song by Russel Shorto. He does address this problem also, but I do doubt whether 500 pages will give an answer. Let be an article as quoted by Moon.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The boys are not all right

Post by Daryl »

Ralph wrote:[*]Empathy

I'd have to argue against that one, and suggest that the lack of empathy is exactly why boys are more likely to have other antisocial traits like violence and mass murder. We (with numerous exceptions, obviously, but on the average) just don't have that part of our brain working that lets us see the world from another's point of view, walk a mile in someone else's stilettos, whatever.

My son and I both run into this with my wife on a regular basis. We'll do or say something to her that seems perfectly OK because we know it would be perfectly OK for someone else to do it to us (hey, at least we've managed to learn the "golden rule"). She'll be upset because it is not OK with her... and we'll have no idea that she's upset. We don't notice the sudden drop in room temperature, the stony silence, the minimal curt responses required to end a conversation. And if/when she finally does explain what we did to hurt her, we still can't understand why she found it hurtful.

I have this problem a lot, and I know from conversations with my male friends and their wives that I'm actually more empathetic than they are in most cases. I'm at least upset once I do realize that she's upset; as often as not they find it hilarious and are likely do the same thing deliberately to provoke a reaction.

Yeah, if only boys (men) could find that empathy switch and turn it on.
Sorry Ralph, but I call bull. Men wrote the book on empathy. You are mistaking a culture of resilience, and of encouraging resilience in others, for lack of empathy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYrIi_Mt8A
Daryl...