Upskirting - Should the gender of the skirt wearer matter?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Upskirting - Should the gender of the skirt wearer matter?

Post by shadowfax »

I found a story on the BBC News website about a campaign in the UK to make 'Upskirting' a sexual offence.
Should the gender of the skirt/kilt/dress wearer make any difference? I for one wouldn't want to be a victim of upskirting whilst out in public wearing my kilt or a skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Upskirting - Should the gender of the skirt wearer matte

Post by Sinned »

The gender/sex of the victim shouldn't make any difference. In my case there's nothing to see. In winter I wear underwear and tights ( for double coverage ) or thigh highs and in summer underwear. Would I be concerned - no. Would I be offended - why sure, a photograph would be without my knowledge and I would be wondering about the sanity of the picture taker. He'd have to be soft in the head to take a picture of my undercarriage, covered or not. Should it be an offence - yes and punishable alongside voyeurism and other sexual misdemeanors. I seem to recall that there was a site called Project Voyeur that included upskirt pictures sent in by members, and no, I don't know if it still does. Don't ask me how this knowledge came about but it wasn't me monitoring the site!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

shadowfax wrote:Should the gender of the skirt/kilt/dress wearer make any difference?
Hell no! Obviously, more women than men are affected by this behavior since fewer men wear skirts than women, but law makers will need to make sure the law protects both men and women equally.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

webboy42 wrote:
shadowfax wrote:Should the gender of the skirt/kilt/dress wearer make any difference?
Hell no! Obviously, more women than men are affected by this behavior since fewer men wear skirts than women, but law makers will need to make sure the law protects both men and women equally.
I couldn't agree more!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

It's not on, irrespective of sex or gender.

When I have worn kilts on nights out in town, several women would lunge at my kilt to lift it - something I found unacceptable. I would simply grab their skirt/dress and whip it straight up. They soon got the message and they couldn't say a thing - they had set the bar by lifting my kilt in the first place. Reactions from the other women were broadly positive - the "victim" couldn't exactly complain - while the lads loved it. They never lift my kilt up by the way.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The attempt is usually considered childish and gauche and should be discouraged irrespective of the gender or sex of the individual.

In any event, it's difficult under non-contrived circumstances to get a decent look at anything underneath for the simple constraints of geometry and lighting. Even if somebody gets a camera under you, wearing undergarments solves the issue completely as well as obviating any distress caused by an errant gust of wind.

In short, it's not a big deal unless you make it out to be one.

As far as anyone trying to lift the hem, usually a cold stare or pushing their hands away will get the message across that their behaviour is unwelcome.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

The "worms eye view" is used a lot in architectural photography, a strange term I know. I think it would be highly discourteous applied to a skirt wearer of any gender without their permission.
I am sure people inadvertently get such a view when I am working up on scaffold but would not capture much more than darkness against a bright sky, even with HDR digital.
Of course gender shouldn't matter with respect to upskirting, but I personally wouldn't expect to be a target and if I was I am sure there would not be sufficient material for ridicule and derision.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Ray wrote:It's not on, irrespective of sex or gender.

When I have worn kilts on nights out in town, several women would lunge at my kilt to lift it - something I found unacceptable. I would simply grab their skirt/dress and whip it straight up. They soon got the message and they couldn't say a thing - they had set the bar by lifting my kilt in the first place. Reactions from the other women were broadly positive - the "victim" couldn't exactly complain - while the lads loved it. They never lift my kilt up by the way.
You better not do that in the US. You could be branded a sexual offender and have to register your residence location for the rest of your life.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Of course there should be a law to stop the offenders from shotting pictures up a skirt or dress.

If I ever catch the bugger, I would make sure he remembered that shot for a long time at least until the cast came off. :lol:
I use a cane when out walking and it is made of a very hard wood and it will break bones. :twisted:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

JohnH wrote:

You better not do that in the US. You could be branded a sexual offender and have to register your residence location for the rest of your life.
I'll do it wherever someone tries that stunt on me. If your laws are as you state, I'm glad I don't live in your country (and no longer visit).

Lest my words sound harsh, I have been kilted in at least two states (California and Hawaii) with no problems at all. Maybe women from the USA are better behaved than those in the UK (specifically England; I've not had my kilt lifted in Scotland or Wales)..
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

Don't do that in Canada either, you will have a good possibility of getting the same charge! I would just verbally ask them "how would you feel and what would you do if a man came up to you and lifted your skirt?

Lifting skirts is absolutely unacceptable both ways, anywhere! Even lifting your own and flashing for that matter. Lifting skirts is very immature.
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Oh dear. I thought Canada would be more sensible. I'll still keep doing it - mind you, I was in my early 30s then, and I'm much less likely to be affected now. Still, the girls get the message and never - ever- have they complained. They can't really. Pot, kettle, black.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Mods! MODS!! Lock this thread at once! It's bound to be highly divisive and it will end with the mother of all flame wars! :lol:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Ray wrote:
JohnH wrote:

I'll do it wherever someone tries that stunt on me. If your laws are as you state, I'm glad I don't live in your country (and no longer visit).

Lest my words sound harsh, I have been kilted in at least two states (California and Hawaii) with no problems at all. Maybe women from the USA are better behaved than those in the UK (specifically England; I've not had my kilt lifted in Scotland or Wales)..
A woman lifting a man's kilt or skirt could also be branded a sexual offender in the US.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JohnH wrote:A woman lifting a man's kilt or skirt could also be branded a sexual offender in the US.
That'll be the day.

To be honest, I'd have to read each and every statute on the matter to see if the notion would be applicable, but applicable or not, there exists a vast discrepancy in how men are treated versus women for the same action. Practise is usually very different from the intent of the codified law.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!