Christian Wilkins writes: 'Why I'll never stop wearing skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Christian Wilkins writes: 'Why I'll never stop wearing s

Post by Ray »

Daryl, I would like to pick up on a point you made about the one relating to damaging one's views (and by inference, attacking their religion?). I said that I sought not to change peoples views, but I realise that that's not strictly correct. I suppose what I'm saying is I wouldn't seek to convert somebody from being religious to being non-religious, but if that belief system, for example castigated or vilified gays, non-whites, Jews or any other group which didn't fit the tight doctrines espoused by that particular religion, then I most certainly would seek to change their views.

I also would be less impressed with that religion - or maybe that individual's take on the religion - if it were so intolerant. Telling me not to wear skirts would be up there, if it were not so petty.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Ray wrote:Daryl, I would like to pick up on a point you made about the one relating to damaging one's views (and by inference, attacking their religion?). I said that sought not to change peoples views, but I realise that that's not strictly correct. I suppose what I'm saying is I wouldn't seek to convert somebody from being religious to being non-religious, but if that belief system, for example castigated or vilified gays, non-whites, Jews or any other group which didn't fit the tight doctrines espoused by that particular religion, then I most certainly would seek to change their views.

I also would be less impressed with that religion - or maybe that individusl's tske on the religion - if it were so intolerant. Telling me not to wear skirts would be up there, if it were not so petty.
Well, I am not Christian, and do not recognise the Church's authority or the Bible's authority, or believe in God, but I do find "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her" pretty darned authoritative.
Daryl...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Daryl, I'd say Amen to that, but it's perhaps not an appropriate phrase! :-)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

For those who choose to single out men who wear skirts to browbeat them by Deuteronomy 22:5, consideration the folowing - I Corinthians 14:34 KJV:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law."

That was interpreted as women from banned from choirs. Sure, you could use boys for the treble parts (soprano and alto). But it seemed as soon as they got trained, shortly their voices would change. So adult male trebles (castrati) came into being, courtesy of surgical intervention.

John