Sumptuary Culture

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Dottie

Re: Sumptuary Culture

Post by Dottie »

moonshadow wrote:Check out the "about us" page and the "blog"...

It says "we are a boy from the United States and a girl from Pakistan", yet it doesn't seem to say where they are living now...
from the 'about us' page wrote:Hey, why do women have so many beautiful clothing options to chose from, while the men's section is a sea of greys and blacks? Why does gender neutral mean grey oversized sweat pants and sweatshirts? Women don't need pockets? Is it really that emasculating for men to call a "bun" a "bun" instead of coining the term "man bun".
THIS IS HOW WE BEGAN
We are a boy from The United States and a girl from Pakistan. We strive to use the scientific method rather than by blind faith or tradition, to introspect on what we do and fight for human rights throughout the global community.
We aren't telling you that all you need to do is buy our clothes, but a better understanding of the world helps to better enjoy the world, and we are here to open peoples eyes through fashion as a medium.
We believe clothing is just clothing, it doesn't define you, label you, it has been given too much importance in the sense of what it means, when all it is, is a moment in time where we decided that, "today this is what ill wear".
There is no way this is an American company....

Checking out some of their other sites, facebook, twitter, etc. They do not appear to have a large following yet. Best of luck to them.
I see the address they have is 467 Troutman St New York , US 11237. small buisiness / enterprise units in a large building, so maybe US based , I do rather like the skirt though.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dottie wrote:
I see the address they have is 467 Troutman St New York , US 11237. small buisiness / enterprise units in a large building, so maybe US based , I do rather like the skirt though.
I stand corrected. I liked all over for the address but came up short.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Meh! Color me unimpressed. I can find better looking skirts for a good deal cheaper.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That's as may be, Jeff, but we should celebrate the fact that they are saying skirts are OK for men.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

I think this is fantastic! My takeaway from the website is that "Skirts are Unisex". And that's how they are being marketed. That is new and different. To me, what the people look like or styling of the skirt is not relevant. This site makes a bold statement that we all are making - skirts are OK for guys too. To state that in a very public way is the message, IMHO.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

The Troutman address is actually in Brooklyn.
I wouldn't pay $40 for this particular skirt, but I am pleased that
they are out there. They only offer up to 32 waist. I need 36 or 38.
Their statement about skirts in the "blog" section is worth reading.
https://www.sumptuaryculture.com/blogs/news/skirts
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I don't know if it is any help but one of my clients a spice company used to have their plant at 1910 Troutman St I have been in that area , it is a commercial area in Ridgewood section of brooklyn
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I looked at an article in there blog. I believe it is well worth posting here:

"Masculinity.
Jan 21, 2018

Wikipedia defines masculinity and femininity as follows:

Masculinity is a set of attributes, behaviors and roles generally associated with boys and men.

The “opposite”

Femininity is a set of attributes, behaviors, and roles generally associated with girls and women

At first glance it may appear harmless- a way to define and show qualities and characteristics that are inherent- existing as a permanent, and essential characteristic.

But when you look at our society, the year 12,018 of the Human Era,

some of the worst things you can call a man are effeminate, unmanly or like a girl.

Effeminate meaning having feminine qualities untypical of a man : not manly in appearance or manner.

Unmanly meaning not manly: such as being of weak character or cowardly.

Like a girl meaning characteristic of a girl.

This is because in this society and culture women are second class citizens.

What women do, wear, like and say is seen as inferior to that of men.

Even when men do things that are thought of as feminine, in order to avoid emasculation, they adopt a new term to avoid the confusion. For example, women have buns, men have Man Bun, women have a purse and men have a murse or a man purse.

But a bun is just a bun whether a man or a woman wears it.

With an ignorance of our history and a society indoctrinated to be sexist, one might not realize that these characteristics that we call masculinity and femininity are anything but inherent or absolute and accept a binary dress code.

Men have worn and continue to wear skirts and make up, as well as jewelry, beads, earrings and necklaces since their creation.

As far as hair length, for Native Americans and First Nations hair represents power. The longer a man’s hair, the more he has seen and learned. High heels were designed for men and by men. Specifically, Persian soldiers.

Show me an article of clothing or a way of dressing you think is feminine and I’ll show you a culture where it’s masculine. With 300,000 years of human life across a world of different cultures these “unchanging absolutes” of what is masculine and what is feminine are not universal and there is no type of clothing that represents a gender. In this current culture, women, and the things they do, must not be considered inferior due to their gender."

Article quoted from Website, https://www.sumptuaryculture.com
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

They also have another very good blog post on skirts. I am attaching the link this time. It is a very good read as well.

https://www.sumptuaryculture.com/blogs/news/skirts