unisex clothing.

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: unisex clothing.

Post by moonshadow »

As for me, I'm still a mid-aged fart.... the kind that gets the dog to leave the room! And I'll stop wearing my skirts when I'm a dead fart....

Caultron, why are you still up?? I thought you old farts went to be at like 5pm or something?? :D :lol:

Just kidding ya....

:hide:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...Caultron, why are you still up?? I thought you old farts went to bed at like 5pm or something?
I'm a relatively young old fart, only 70. And by very great fortune, my health is still pretty good. Yesterday I completed a 11.3 mile hike in the mountains with 1600 feet of climbing in less than five hours. Then in the evening I went to a hockey game in a utility kilt and got complimented by three women.

Take that as a lesson. Never, never, never let your age get out of control.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

All I can say is.... damn! You could run circles around most people ten years younger than I!

Let me stand aside.... this round is yours sir! 8)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:Anthony, as one possessing an OH that is mostly male skirt unfriendly I can assure you that she does try and dictate how, when and where I wear a skirt. So in that sense she (ab)uses her power of censorship. Of course I push the boundaries and at my peril ignore her sometimes and incur her wrath. Unless you are in that situation it's difficult to appreciate. Were I single like you then I wouldn't have the stress that I have and would wear a skirt as I please and not give a damn about what others think.
I suppose the question is whether your OH is not allowing you to wear what you like or that you are sensitive and selfless enough to choose to modify your behaviour as not to irretrievably hurt or upset her. I have always admired you for this see it as a positive thing that you make this choice.

Perhaps it is just semantics, me objecting to the general use of the word "allow" which I assumed some sort of control over someone like handcuffs or a prison door where there is no choice. I guess the hold over someone could be love, financial security of a job or fear of punishment, but there is choice.
If Heather was alive and hated me wearing skirts, I am sure I would do and feel as you do. If it was a job and I was in the same situation as Moon, I would probably do as he does. I would feel better about both outcomes thinking of them as my choice, sensitive to the feelings of a partner or weighing up the pro and cons of the job - rather than not allowed.
I am sorry if I seemed insensitive.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Websters college dictionary.. ALLOW v.t 1)to give permission to, or permit. 2) conceding the right of someone to do something. I don't understand what everyone's problem is . Do you think that by dancing around this word, you reduce the fact of the matter. The powers to be are exerting power over us whether it be wives girlfriends bosses etc. How we get them to allow is is up for discussion.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nah, it's all right Anthony. In such an intimate relationship as husband and wife control is easily wielded as each has so much invested in the relationship. So whether it is control or the other one choosing to submit in order to save rocking the boat is a moot one. I'm not offended as I presumed that you didn't mean to offend. I do try and be positive about it and hope that maybe sometime soon she will see the light.

OS, you are right they are withholding permission so they are not allowing something that should be permissible. The fact that they are preying on our good nature and desire not to cause upset is germane. But then we all know that women can do anything they want and get away with it.

Incidentally, and it has probably been said before on this site, the reason getting men into skirts is so similar to pushing a boulder uphill is that possibly men just don't care about fashion. They want clothes that have utility, cover what's needed to keep them at a comfortable temperature and they just don't have to think about what to put on - it's predetermined. Jeans, T-shirt, jumper check. It has been said by more than one on this site that with skirts choosing what to wear and with what is no longer a trivial decision. And we can understand when a woman can look at a wardrobe overflowing with clothes and still complain that they have nothing to wear. Just a few thoughts to add to the mix.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Sinned wrote:It has been said by more than one on this site that with skirts choosing what to wear and with what is no longer a trivial decision. And we can understand when a woman can look at a wardrobe overflowing with clothes and still complain that they have nothing to wear. Just a few thoughts to add to the mix.
It used to be Black shoes or brown shoes or sneakers usually white Now is is low heels or high heels What color shoes do you match the skirt or do you match the top. It takes less time to put on a skirt than pants but much longer to decide what to wear with it
Last edited by crfriend on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned wrote: It has been said by more than one on this site that with skirts choosing what to wear and with what is no longer a trivial decision. And we can understand when a woman can look at a wardrobe overflowing with clothes and still complain that they have nothing to wear. Just a few thoughts to add to the mix.
I have definitely reached that point. If I have a party or get invited out by friends then I will invariably buy something new.... otherwise if I pick from my existing wardrobe the there's a chance I might have worn part of it before!! My biggest problem is hats, I only have about 6 or 7 so I always feel a bit self conscious that I'm in the same hat again. Although I really enjoy putting together a new outfit, I don't really subscribe to the pressure I've now put myself under. Added to all that I really have run out of room to put everything away.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote: It has been said by more than one on this site that with skirts choosing what to wear and with what is no longer a trivial decision. And we can understand when a woman can look at a wardrobe overflowing with clothes and still complain that they have nothing to wear. Just a few thoughts to add to the mix.
I can identify with that, I used to have just 2 or 3 pair of shorts and now I have dozens of skirts and it is not unusual to change 2 or 3 times a day, depending on mood, activity or wind direction. At least they can be changed quickly and easily without even removing boots. I am not into fashion but I am certainly into comfort, visual gratification and fun.
I just read a review of a mini skirt with the same enthusiasm I used to read a motorcycle review - is that sick or what?
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

denimini wrote:
Sinned wrote: I just read a review of a mini skirt with the same enthusiasm I used to read a motorcycle review - is that sick or what?
There is nothing wrong with you, people`s priorities change.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH's latest verbal ripostes are that when I am sat at the laptop reading this site's posts she calls out the question of whether I am looking at skirts again. I usually say no because I'm not - I'm reading. That's because she caught a fleeting glance at one of our member's pictures and assumed it was a woman in a skirt not a man. I just let it all pass over my head.

Incidentally I have over 100 skirts and many tops so choosing what skirt to wear can be problematic. But I always ensure that things match.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:MOH's latest verbal ripostes are that when I am sat at the laptop reading this site's posts she calls out the question of whether I am looking at skirts again. I usually say no because I'm not - I'm reading. That's because she caught a fleeting glance at one of our member's pictures and assumed it was a woman in a skirt not a man. I just let it all pass over my head.

Incidentally I have over 100 skirts and many tops so choosing what skirt to wear can be problematic. But I always ensure that things match.
Do you think your OH seeing pictures other men wearing skirts would help her accept you wearing skirts?
I am amazed how many skirts you have considering your situation, I have a similar number and know how much space in trunks, drawers and shelves are taken up. No wonder your OH is concerned about you looking at skirts online. :)
I got interested in collecting 1950's Johnson Bros. Australian crockery and would buy it when ever I saw it. Heather used to say "Haven't you got enough of that" (without a question mark). I would say I was missing some to make up another set - then there would be some left over and I would have to make up that set. I am not sure what rationale I would use for the number of skirts I own - perhaps style/colour combinations.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Incidentally I have over 100 skirts
, I have a similar number
The two of you both have a lot of skirts. I am sure that there are other members with large amounts. I have about half that but I have only been collecting for a couple of years.

There was another blog about the "lure of skirts" I think that the choices you have Is a big part of the " LURE"

The color choices not to mention floral or patterns.

Than the length micro, mini, knee length, midi etc

style kilts flare, pencil a line

Maybe if you count shorts men had some amount of choices. but nothing like whats available in skirts
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I've got some catching up to do. I own about 25 - 30 skirts. ( A guesstimate.)
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I downloaded several things here and there that show like a week's worth of outfits with only 14 items of clothing - you just use a different mix every day. I'm happy enough using a few outfit guides like that if I like most of the outfits displayed...wherein lies the rub.

Compare:
Trousers: Navy or black, 7 days a week. Polo shirt in various colors, 7 days a week. windbreaker or Navy Blazer, 7 days a week. Black shoes.

Skirt: Blue, khaki, denim, black, leatherette, lace trim on some, mini to midi in size, polo shirts in various colors, numerous items from the other side of the aisle (turtlenecks with long sleeves or no sleeves in black, white, red or black with gray stripes, etc.) and some pullover tops in white and black with drawstring laceups, turtleneck sweaters, cowled neck sweaters, gray and black skirt-appropriate jackets for a business look, support hose in beige, black as well as tights and leggings in different colors and styles, black shoes, black 2.75" heeled ankle boots, and some 1" wedge heels that need replacing (the latter two from the other side of the aisle as well). Throw in a bit of bling such as a couple of belts.

Hmmmm.... I think I'll go shopping, I don't see anything to wear to church on Christmas.....back later....