'Lad in a Frock'

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.

'Lad in a Frock'

Postby SkirtsDad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 am

SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 'Lad in a Frock'

Postby denimini » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:08 am

Always good to see stories of persistance and success in the face of adversity.
The term frock seems rather quaint and outdated, which I suspect still used with a surreptitious rhyming with another word referring to men.
The term frock is still in limited current use; A search on eBay for "frock" worldwide gave 1.4% of the results for "skirt" and 0.25% of the results for dress. I must admit I have never searched for a frock before and most look like dresses to my uninitiated eye. A priest being defrocked refers to the removal of the frock-like vestments of clergy and ministers, which are robes, albs or cassocks but rarely referred to as frocks.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Postby JohnH » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm

I as an American never heard the word frock except on the Internet (about 6 years ago). As far as I can tell the word is used hardly at all in the US. We do use the word defrock in connection with the clergy.

John
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Stevie D » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:08 pm

'Frock' is probably much more familiar in the UK than elsewhere. It is slightly antiquated in its usage but just about everyone will know what you mean. It definitely means a dress and not a skirt.

The term 'posh frocks' is a somewhat colloquial expression used to indicate formal wear to a party or other occasion where evening or cocktail dresses are expected. It signifies a chance to dress up. :wink:
Stevie D
(Sheffield, England)
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Postby crfriend » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 pm

I've spent the entirety of my life on the western banks of the Atlantic and I've always been familiar with the term. True, it's not in common use in these here parts, but there are plenty of people who know that the term means.

By the by, I actually have one now. Ii arrived today.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Postby Kirbstone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 am

Almost no usage of that word nowadays here, too. Re; Dressing up, a jocular 'put on me best frock' would be as far as that word would go.

I'm not into 'frocks' at all, but have a lot of new varied skirts recently come, which will get an airing soon and perhaps will be photographed when the Sun makes its re-appearance, which can't be many years off now !!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Happy-N-Skirts » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 am

A frock to me is what an artist wears over clothes when painting.

A frock coat was a term for a man's long coat in the 19th century. Abraham Lincoln wore a frock coat
Happy-N-Skirts
Distinguished Member

Postby Uncle Al » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 am

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:A frock to me is what an artist wears over clothes when painting.

For me, an Artist(Painter) wore a Smock while painting.
This was to protect his clothes.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician--Secretary-North Texas Chapter-American Theatre Organ Society.
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009 & 2015-2016
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Uncle Al

Postby SkirtsDad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:51 pm

The term frock, whilst perhaps being considered a little antiquated by some, is definitely still alive and well in the UK.

Just a couple of unrelated random frock references:
http://www.getyourfrockon.org/news/
http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/27/meghan-markles-wedding-dress-expected-to-be-an-unconventional-red-carpet-style-frock-7112665/

For me I tend to think of a frock as typically a short or shortish, slightly floaty summer or party dress, maybe a skater, mini dress or cocktail dress. I probably would not use the term for a maxi-dress or ball gown, for instance.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Return to In the News / Advocacy