Fashion in general

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Fashion in general

Post by skirtingtoday »

Interesting article in the Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/the-chain/2 ... -of-change
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fashion in general

Post by skirtyscot »

I see we get a mention. If only the men's skirts had been accepted as easily and taken up as enthusiastically as the various designs for women!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

I think this quote from the article is particularly relevant to us:

"Similarly, Yves Saint Laurent was a great emancipator of women. If you tell your young daughters, as I did, that as recently as the 1960s, it was frowned upon for women to wear trousers, they will be so shocked that I guarantee they will even glance up from their smartphones. With his trouser suits, sheer blouses and trapeze-line dresses he liberated women’s wardrobes, thus liberating them."

I certainly find that I feel liberated when I'm wearing a skirt, and I think this may be a factor in the problems that some women have with men wearing skirts.
Last edited by DonaldG on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

An interesting thought, Donald, that women don't want men to be liberated. I don't think women see their range of clothing choices as liberty, just as women's clothes. I reckon any woman who does see it as liberty would agree that men ought to have the same liberty (in principle, even if in practice they may find some of the outfits displayed in SC a bit surprising).
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Donald/Alastair, wearing a skirt certainly is liberating and I agree with the thought that women don't want men to feel liberated. Do they feel threatened by some men's desire to dress differently AND IN THEIR CLOTHES nonetheless. I don't really know, maybe. I think part of MOH's problem is that I look better in a skirt than she does because of her weight gain over the years. I think that in the right length skirt or dress she looks fine but she doesn't see it that way. Maybe that is a factor with others too - the men rock the dress/skirt better than they do and they don't want to admit it.

It's funny that she mentioned in the article about Driffield - it's just down the road from me and whereas I have never ordered a pint in a pub there whilst wearing a skirt I have been known to frequent the eating establishments in York wearing a skirt. Close enough perhaps.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Dennis, I've never been to Driffield, but I bet it is a million miles from York, as far as the man-skirt is concerned.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Maybe "threatened" is nearer the mark. Many women think that society's norms about clothing are the opposite of liberty for them. There was an article linked here "I wore menswear for a month and it was bloody marvellous" or some such. Many women don't think about it at all, they just accept that women can wear anything while men get grey suits and blue jeans and naff all else. So they wouldn't see any liberty in a skirt. But women who do stop to think about it and see the choice they have as an advantage will at least admit that it is unfair to deny men the right to dress how they like.

Of course, they then usually go on to wonder why we put up with it, why we don't just put a skirt on and give society the two-fingered salute.
Last edited by skirtyscot on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

In the United States a two finger salute means nothing other than to make the Churchill gesture backwards. We do the middle finger salute instead.

John
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well, you can all do it twice then, as I'm sure you already have, John
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirtyscot wrote:I don't think women see their range of clothing choices as liberty, just as women's clothes. I reckon any woman who does see it as liberty would agree that men ought to have the same liberty (in principle, even if in practice they may find some of the outfits displayed in SC a bit surprising).
That's the rub though, women do not see it as liberty because nothing is denied to them. Most people take various liberties for granted when it's not denied to them. As the old adage goes, "we want want we can't have". This line of thinking transfers into various privilege for one group over the other. What really gets odd is when the privileged group sees the expansion of other groups liberty into their domain, they get all up in arms about it, as though others sharing the same liberties they enjoy will somehow erode their (the privileged, in this case, women) own liberty.

It's the same story over and over across countless issues, where one group gets bent out of shape because another wants to share in the same freedoms they enjoy.

Although I think it's important at this juncture to remember, that with the exception of employment which we're working on, men can indeed wear whatever they want. They just choose not to for whatever reason. It's not like it's illegal, God knows I've tested that water. Guys just gotta do it! I suppose the privilege women enjoy in this regard is just not the harassment and taunting that some of us receive for wearing skirts, and yes, it's very vexing when such resistance comes from trouser wearing women! :shock:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

skirtyscot wrote:Of course, they then usually go on to wonder why we put up with it, why we don't just put a skirt on and give society the two-fingered salute.
JohnH wrote:In the United States a two finger salute means nothing other than to make the Churchill gesture backwards. We do the middle finger salute instead.
I do my best to give both. Since I wear what I want where I want and to Hell to them all. :hmmm:

I believe men should do just what they want and never look back. When I decided to wear skirts 7/365 I did just that. :rock:

:soapbox:

Now lets all just sit back and tip one for skirts..... :pint: :toast:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Fred in Skirts wrote: I believe men should do just what they want and never look back. When I decided to wear skirts 7/365 I did just that. :rock:

:soapbox: :
You mean whenever February 29 (Leap Year) occurs you wear trousers? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

JohnH wrote:In the United States a two finger salute means nothing
other than to make the Churchill gesture backwards.
We do the middle finger salute instead.

John
I thought that was the "Fickle-Finger-Of-Fate" Award :D

:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JohnH wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote: I believe men should do just what they want and never look back. When I decided to wear skirts 7/365 I did just that. :rock:

:soapbox: :
You mean whenever February 29 (Leap Year) occurs you wear trousers? :lol: :lol: :lol:
On that day I will wear a dress!! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Alastair, Driffield is your average market town situated about half way between Hull and York. I've been there a few times and can't say that there's anything remarkable about it. I would not have a problem going there in a skirt and would not expect any problem with the people there.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.