Gender Neutral Dress Code

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Gender Neutral Dress Code

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:
beachlion wrote: With a skirt, it gets only better. :wink:
Which they haven't experienced.
Indeed, and with that the question becomes, "How does one facilitate the jump?"

Now, perhaps wrapping a towel around one's self, or even the semi-luxury of a male-marketed bathrobe, isn't the best example possible -- but it is a gateway.

Skirts are an entirely different dimension for most guys -- and it's not merely the (perceived) fear of one tube rather than two. There's also fabric choices involved as well as the myriad of style choices that exist with skirts that just simply don't exist anywhere in the male-marketed world. This, alone, might unhinge some guys. What, for instance, is a guy who's worn nothing but denim in his life going to do when faced with satin or velvet? Panic. That's what. The stuff is absolutely alien. It'll look alien and it'll feel alien until he gets used to it.

However, I believe that it is possible to get guys over the hump. It'd be easier if their girlfriends/partners/wives were on-side, but that's seemingly a long-shot based on the experiences reported here. I seem to be one of the very few that had one on-side, and that was before her brain imploded -- she was leaning anti- late on in things.

Sarongs and the like are probably the best "gateway" target for guys who live in temperate climes. Hard logic and thermal theory might be better for those of us who live in a cold wet Hell like I live in (1 degree C and raining today with 100% humidity -- the cold cut like a knife). There is nothing like a lightweight summer skirt to set one's legs and feelings free! (Six months and counting...)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Grok wrote:
beachlion wrote: With a skirt, it gets only better. :wink:
Which they haven't experienced.
My argument included also the last part of the first line.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote:....... Skirts are an entirely different dimension for most guys -- and it's not merely the (perceived) fear of one tube rather than two. There's also fabric choices involved as well as the myriad of style choices that exist with skirts that just simply don't exist anywhere in the male-marketed world. This, alone, might unhinge some guys. What, for instance, is a guy who's worn nothing but denim in his life going to do when faced with satin or velvet? Panic. That's what. The stuff is absolutely alien. It'll look alien and it'll feel alien until he gets used to it. ......
I have not much sense of fashion, at least not the amount that was developed with women from an early age. I still have no drive to develop that sense. Fabric-wise I still wear the same types but now in the form of a skirt. I'm sure I'm not the only one with an attitude like this. In my opinion it is easier to make the step in skirts with familiar fabrics and forget the fashion side of skirts and the rest of the outfit. As soon as a man is getting comfortable in plain skirts and the feeling is there, he will get more interested in styling and coordinating his outlook. In the Netherlands we say:"Je weet nooit hoe een koe een haas vangt" or more or less translated:"You never know how a cow catches a hare." I know the answer but that is too much off topic. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Perhaps the first gateway garment might be one discussed in other threads-a knee length denim skirt. Perhaps a design loosely based on blue jeans, with jean like details? The skirt that would be the least different from what the average male is used to.

Later, a few might try sarongs or kilts.

This may seem too conservative for members-but members are iconoclasts.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Grok wrote:Perhaps the first gateway garment might be one discussed in other threads-a knee length denim skirt. Perhaps a design loosely based on blue jeans, with jean like details? The skirt that would be the least different from what the average male is used to.

Later, a few might try sarongs or kilts.

This may seem too conservative for members-but members are iconoclasts.
Not necessarily. I do not own any jeans, but still I do have some demin skirts. For some odd reason I do appreciate the look and feel of the last contrary to the first. I do have the feeling that the way the materials used aren't woven in the same way.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote: I think so too! Which is one of the pleasures of doing this, to provide encouragement for others who may have contemplated the same, yet have not ventured out.
In the near term, those who might be encouraged are likely Skirtonians-people who particularly like skirts/enjoy wearing skirts.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

beachlion wrote:They can get a feeling of it when they are walking around in the bathroom with a towel or robe around the body. With a skirt, it gets only better. :wink:
I have used this argument a few times but I don't know if it had any effect.
This is why I love the huge towels my brother and mother arranged for a birthday present a year or 2 ago. It feels great to walk around in one of them, and I can imagine a skirt or robe would feel even better.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Yet another installment in the English school uniform controversy.
This example is slightly different in that it involves a Catholic school;
also, the male student pictured evidently had the good taste to add nylon
hosiery with his uniform skirt.
http://angelqueen.org/2017/07/23/cathol ... -for-boys/
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

From the article wrote:The announcement has left parents upset as it goes against the teachings of the Catholic Church.
Well of course it did!! We wouldn't want it any other way now would we?? :roll:
Because GOD FORBID we actually focus on real problems... oh like I don't know... diseases, war, hunger, homelessness, poverty.. OH NO... FIRST things FIRST... GOTTA tell people what to WEAR! IT'S GODS WILL! :wall: :wall: :wall:

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've googled this topic and it throws up lots of entries about women wearing trousers but nothing about forbidding men in the catholic church from wearing skirts. Now that could be because nobody in the church thought that it would ever happen ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:I've googled this topic and it throws up lots of entries about women wearing trousers but nothing about forbidding men in the catholic church from wearing skirts. Now that could be because nobody in the church thought that it would ever happen ....
Our local priest often wore a long dress.

It should state "The announcement has left some parents upset as it goes against their fantasised teachings of the Catholic Church."
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bertino56 wrote:Yet another installment in the English school uniform controversy.
The guy in the photo is named Chris Millett and he's no Catholic school student. His photos have been floating around the Internet for some time, sometimes in various school uniforms, sometimes in other uniforms, and sometimes ijn simple dresses. You can find some of these at https://pin.it/qnp7cv4dhtl6hv

And that casts some doubt on the whole article here.

But as to boys wearing skirts or dresses to school, I just don't see that as against the Catholic religion. I don't recall Jesus ever laying down a dress code.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote: His photos have been floating around the Internet for some time, sometimes in various school uniforms, sometimes in other uniforms, and sometimes ijn simple dresses.
That's interesting... I wonder if he knows his photos are used in such a way. I hope he's at least getting royalties.
Caultron wrote:I don't recall Jesus ever laying down a dress code.
I assume they are thinking of Moses.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:I assume they are thinking of Moses.
I don't think he ever wore pants either.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Bertino56 wrote:Yet another installment in the English school uniform controversy.
And the haters have come out in droves! I see nothing wrong with the new dress code. But then I am not Roman Catholic. But as one writer said look at the priests they were dresses (robes). So whats the big deal and how does it hurt the children???? I can only say good on ya Jane.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.