Brief Mention in W Magazine November 2017

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Brief Mention in W Magazine November 2017

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Was reading the print edition of W magazine and in the current issue, there was a brief and quick mention of encouragement. It is a mainstream fashion magazine from a large publisher (Condé Nast) but I am still surprised and pleased.
The Minotaur uniform, which celebrates Nike’s global partnership with the NBA, features a varsity jacket, track pants, a pair of sleeves, a skirt that takes its cues from the mesh shorts the pros wear (technically, it’s a women’s item, but gentlemen, don’t let that stop you).
https://www.wmagazine.com/story/riccard ... collection
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Brief Mention in W Magazine November 2017

Post by Caultron »

Perhaps the armor is starting to crack, eh?

It'd be great if some flashy sports figures started appearing in skirts, eh?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

That’s why I thought it was significant even if it was a small detail really. Although it’s a fashion magazine, it is still from a major media outlet. An editor had to green light that article and the advertisers had to be ok with it too.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

It seems like every designer is including some men-in-skirts looks in every show now. Yes, most of them are bizarre, and they don't seem to be catching on, and yet the designers keep showing them.

I came across one article that speculated designers keep trying crazy ideas at random hoping something someday will catch on, and I think there may be some truth to that. But regardless, the idea of skirts for men certainly seems to be accepted in the world of fashion.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The guy has his hand in what seems like a decent-sized pocket as well, which is a bonus. Good article and even though it is an almost throw-away point it is, as you say, significant and worth the post. Thanks for your contribution WE, let's hear more from you.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
DonP

Post by DonP »

Good looking skirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

No deltas there; I'd wear that skirt.

However, I would wear it with other things than a baggy sweatshirt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
DonP

Post by DonP »

I definitely would wear it. However, it is a little costly at $150, and the largest size is Large. But I really like the idea of it's similarity to basketball shorts, and being from Nike makes me think that this might really help the cause.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

DonP wrote:I definitely would wear it. However, it is a little costly at $150, and the largest size is Large. But I really like the idea of it's similarity to basketball shorts, and being from Nike makes me think that this might really help the cause.
Where did you find this listed?

I found a similar tennis skirt for about that price but it was shorter.

caultron
DonP

Post by DonP »

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sigh. Sadly it's marketed female-only. Even the page headers state it:

Code: Select all

<title>NikeLab x RT Women's Basketball Skirt. Nike.com</title>
Oh, well. Another opportunity lost -- all for the presence of a single word. Had it been "NikeLab x RT Basketball Skirt." it certainly would have been better. But, no.

The stereotypes remain as strong as ever.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

This is certainly an innovative garment. Some basketball shorts are so loose and baggy that they sometimes look like skirts anyway. It'd be nice if Nike would specify these on some athletic sponsorship deals, eh?

caultron