From Yahoo

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: From Yahoo

Post by beachlion »

Uncle Al wrote:To get back on topic, and away from politics, check out
this link from the original Yahoo story. It was written
May 26, 2016 and was included in the Yahoo story.

Here’s to Boys in Dresses — and the Parents Who Support Them

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
From the comments, it seems they have the Internet extended under rocks. I'm still not sure how to call it: retarded or primitive. :wink: It still is a wonder that with this attitude, humanity was capable of inventing things like a wheel.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Sinned wrote:Back to topic I note that a lot of the comments were in the same vein as in the first example. Why can't they just connect two brain cells and realise that the current dress codes of trousers for everyone and dresses/skirts for girls only is just social conditioning and that those adults have been so steeped in it that they can't see the ludicrousness of their arguments.
Try this for social conditioning: While G. F. Händel was in Rome he composed the oratorio La Resurrezione. For the first performance the part of Mary Magdalene was sung by a female soprano, which of course the natural thing to do. After all, one would like a woman to play the part of a woman. However it was deemed immoral to have a woman perform publicly. So for subsequent performances Mary Magdalene's part was sung by a castrato, a man castrated before puberty to keep his voice high. So here's a man with a strange appearance playing the part of a woman.

Händel subsequently moved to England, where among other things, wrote The Messiah.

John
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

phathack wrote:Only People can claim a Gender, Clothing is just Clothing it has no Gender.
Sometimes I browse AliExpress, the Chinese competitor to Amazon, admiring their wide variety of skirt and dress styles. It always amuses me that they include, in the extended description, a "gender" for the clothing that specifically reads "female" for skirts and dresses.
One of these days when I don't mind risking twenty bucks that I might never see again (Chinese vendors don't have a real high reputation for trustworthiness among American customers) I'll give one of them a try and make sure they know their assigned "gender" is hopelessly outdated.
Ralph!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Ralph,

When you try the Chinese vendor, remember to get
1 or 2 sizes LARGER than what you'ld normally wear.
In some cases, Rose Wholesale for example, their
4XL is really a U.S. size 18/20. I looked at an outfit
and went looking for a 8XL. 8XL fits a U.S. size 24.
Check their sizing chart. It may include what the
U.S. equivalent size is compared to 'their' sizing.

I purchased a 'shift'(dress) from WISH.com and the item
was shipped from China. I ordered the largest size offered.
I wrote them(sent email) that the item was too small
in the chest area. Hips were fine, waist was a bit snug.
The Customer Service Department gave me a full refund
and I could keep the 'shift'(dress). I can't wear it. :(

Just my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

JohnH wrote: Händel subsequently moved to England, where among other things, wrote The Messiah.
One of our finest Baroque composers! I never get tired of listening to, or sometimes performing his music. There is always something new to discover. :)

Incidentally, when Händel came to settle permanently in England, he made the deliberate decision to drop the Umlaut from his name and became plain 'Handel' in both spelling and pronunciation. He could be a grumpy old git at times, but that was his wish and so that is what we should call him.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Stevie D wrote:
JohnH wrote: Händel subsequently moved to England, where among other things, wrote The Messiah.
One of our finest Baroque composers! I never get tired of listening to, or sometimes performing his music. There is always something new to discover. :)

Incidentally, when Händel came to settle permanently in England, he made the deliberate decision to drop the Umlaut from his name and became plain 'Handel' in both spelling and pronunciation. He could be a grumpy old git at times, but that was his wish and so that is what we should call him.
I guess the reason I put the umlaut in Handel's name is I have heard people pronounce his name as "hahndel" instead of "handle" which is much closer to to the German Händel. Maybe Handel saw no need for the umlaut with the English handle pronunciation.

I really like Handel's Messiah but the bass part is awfully high for my basso profundo singing voice. The second bass part of Rachmaninoff's Vespers suits my voice better. My choir director told me bass parts in English choral works are high.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stevie D wrote:I started reading some of the comments and was appalled that nearly all of them expressed such right-wing vitriolic conservatism. I would hope that these people are in the minority and that most of them are only posting their comments as a result of feeling emboldened to do so by reading the shameful opinions of others.

Such unnecessary hate saddens me beyond belief and truly undermines my faith in humanity as being basically decent. :(
Opinions eh? Gotta love the internet, it has a way of telling the world what everyone is thinking. The level of bigotry on the yahoo article is quite puzzling, and here I always took the area over there as being somewhat progressive.

No matter, we get back to our friend Mr. Goodwin, and I quote:

"We want individual rights, we want the government off our backs, yet we're not willing to extend those rights to anyone who's different...."

If this were "American" culture we're talking about, I could get into all of the hypocrisy of the far right brainwashing their children... of course, that itself is a taboo subject. They will defend to their dying breath their right to teach their kids creationism, or better, to enforce strict gender roles for boys and girls, and yet they'll be the first to cast stones to any parent who allows their son to wear a dress, and call these parents "unfit".

Now I'm not trying to harp on conservative parents who choose to raise their children as they see fit. Personally I agree they should be free to as long as it doesn't involve abuse, after all, this is the internet age, any bull sh!t parents feed their children is easily washed away once they grow up and figure out how to read, and get online. But this road must run both ways, those conservative parents need to sit down and shut up when it comes to parents of opposing views exorcising their right to raise their children as they see fit.

Oh well, at the end of the day, you can't change these people. It is what it is.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

beachlion wrote:
Uncle Al wrote:To get back on topic, and away from politics, check out
this link from the original Yahoo story. It was written
May 26, 2016 and was included in the Yahoo story.

Here’s to Boys in Dresses — and the Parents Who Support Them

Uncle Al
From the comments, it seems they have the Internet extended under rocks. I'm still not sure how to call it: retarded or primitive. :wink: It still is a wonder that with this attitude, humanity was capable of inventing things like a wheel.
I guess parental rights don't extend to those who choose to raise their children outside of what's socially acceptable.... and here I thought these type of people were all about individual rights and keeping "the mob" out of our private lives....

I live in a world surrounded by rednecks... and I can tell you, most of these testosterone charged alpha asses wind up in prison because they beat on their wives, or got involved with drugs, or burned a house down, or heck... just have 10 children by 10 different women and can't pay their child support....

But the most important thing... they didn't wear a skirt growing up... oh yeah... totally got their lives together, just think, 4 more months and he can get out on work release.... :wink:

I mean come on... if these parents let their boys wear dresses... what would the other neighbors in the trailer park think?? :eye:

I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train

and I'll hang around as long as you will let me
and I never minded standin' in the rain
and you dont have to call me darlin..... DARLIN
You never even called me, well I wonder why you don't call me, why don't you ever call me by my name!

See now these comments will make since once you've heard a few honky tonk tunes.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.