Let’s scrap gender uniform

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Let’s scrap gender uniform

Post by phathack »

I'm seeing more and more articles these days about men & boys wearing skirts. Lot of them center around dress codes not allowing men to wear shorts while allowing women to wear skirts so the men wear a skirt in protest.

This writer asks the question why do we attach genter to clothing in the first place?

You can read the story if you like but the two pols seem to suggest, at least among this web site's readers, that gender neutral clothing and men wearing skirts should be the norm.
Let’s scrap gender uniform lists and let men and boys wear skirts
http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/23/lets-scra ... s-6729857/
skirts.JPG
gender.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Let’s scrap gender uniform

Post by crfriend »

phathack wrote:I'm seeing more and more articles these days about men & boys wearing skirts. Lot of them center around dress codes not allowing men to wear shorts while allowing women to wear skirts so the men wear a skirt in protest.

This writer asks the question why do we attach genter to clothing in the first place?

You can read the story if you like but the two pols seem to suggest, at least among this web site's readers, that gender neutral clothing and men wearing skirts should be the norm.
More to the point, it's not about scrapping "gendered" clothing it's about scrapping the double-standard regarding clothing that's existed for years. Women wear trousers more than skirts at the moment, and sometimes can look pretty good in 'em (trousers, that is). Men can wear skirts and look pretty good in 'em, but that's currently frowned upon. It's that second part that needs to change, and perhaps -- just maybe -- it's starting to. Finally. Am I holding my breath? Not really. I'm a bit beyond the point in life where one is willing to hold his breath until he turns blue.

We shall see what happens.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Let’s scrap gender uniform

Post by Sinned »

Yes I've kept tabs on this survey and it does seem to have settled down to the values you have displayed after a swing from the 80 to 40+ and then back up nut the gender neutral uniform survey was always quite high. Of course it could just be that mainly those with a vested interest in male skirt wearing are voting as they are the ones most likely to come across the article and the ones most likely to vote. Those with little interest even reading the article might just not bother. So the results may be skewed slightly. The second survey is a bit vague and depends a bit on what the subject matter of the article. A gender neutral uniform policy and allowing boys to wear skirts are not necessarily the same thing. A policy specifying trousers only for all is a neutral policy but boys are denied the option of skirts. But even so the figures are impressive and beg for further research, properly conducted. I feel a PhD thesis in the wind for some sociologist or psychologist. It's a pity my degree is in CompSci.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.