Radio Interview to Talk About Men in Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Radio Interview to Talk About Men in Skirts

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

With the recent social media activity regarding the Devon school boys not being allowed shorts and wore skirts in protest I too joined in the discussions when the topic was widened as to why men cannot wear skirts and still have dress expectations/appearance placed upon them.

BBC Radio York caught onto my comments and I was invited to speak on live radio with Jonathan Cowap on his disscussion programme on issues of the day about why I wear skirts. I had a 10 minute slot. Don't think any one called in as I was on air 11.40 to to 11.50 and the programme ends at Noon. Nothing was said as he closed the programme.

It has created increased traffic to my site and as I have a link to this forum from my site under a dedicated menu of blogs and forums hopefully other unsure men wearing skirts may come this way.

I now have an audio recording of my interview on my site and the link is here

http://www.theskirtedman.co.uk/index.ph ... in-a-skirt
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Radio Interview to Talk About Men in Skirts

Post by Sinned »

Well done TSM for your contribution to the debate and perhaps being in the right place at the right time. I live just down the road from Radio York and I would love to have taken part but I'm not active on social media such as Facebook or Twitter so it's unlikely that I would have been noticed. I will listen to the interview but I want to do it with MOH as at the moment she is not very receptive to my skirts. The weather being so warm that outside of work I have worn skirts nearly all the time. I'm getting to feel that her antagonism is an anachronism as she is the only one in my family that is anti but it's not something I can ignore as she is such an important part of my life.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Sinned wrote:Well done TSM for your contribution to the debate and perhaps being in the right place at the right time.
I was in the right place at the right time. Had it been dry weather I would not have gone on to Twitter and elsewhere on the internet to comment about men in skirts.

I will push men in skirts and my site anywhere online. Recently registered on Tremr and put a post up about men in skirts and by return got a request from their coordinator to promote it across their Twitter and Facebook platform. Also recently registered on Quora where you can answer questions put up by others. I simply concentrate on questions where I can talk men in skirts and push my site. Likewise with Twitter I search only man in a skirt, men in skirts and #wearwhatyouwant tag and other such phrases. I look for tweets where I want to reply and aim to get retweeted. I let my site do the talking while I get on with other aspects in my life. I have a Facebook portal only to create a presence and allows me to post comments elesewhere as a guest. I periodically search for blogs on the subject of men in skirts so comments can be made. I do not use social media like the masses do and I do not spend a lot of time pushing men in skirts, simply blend it in with day to day life and a couple of hours every so many evenings. This is how InsideMan an online campaign for mens rights approached me in 2014 to be apart of their series of 100VociesforMen in the run up to the 2014 International Mens Day and later published two other articles for me. These articles are on my web site.

My aim on social media is like my skirt wearing in reality. In reality I put it into society just like others do in many aspects of life as I go about my ordinary day to day life. My aim to reach those who are not really looking or thinking about men in skirts and why men cannot. I hope to stimulate talk and discussion by others in private and others by asking me. Even those that don't discuss but glare. Obviously there are locations I would not venture into just as I wouldn't as the standard man in trousers. When I became a National Trust volunteer in 2016 I went as me, man in a skirt. No problem as they have an inclusive policy so I knew it may be questioned by some as individuals but not as an organisation. I joined purely because I would enjoy the role as Room Steward and I am giving something back to an organisation my wife and I strongly believe in and use as a visitor but I would go as me. The NT are now pushing Diversity and Tolerance and I have recently been filmed along side 11 other volunteers from around England to appear in promotion, volunteer recruitment and training media. I was a man in a skirt, attire as shown on my site. What they use you are in the hands of the editor but I am already in one internal only 2 minute film. Had I gone as a stereotypical man I would not have been involved and therefore not stimulated conversation on the subject.

I believe in, "if you want it, go for it". That is how others achieve and perceptions changed.

From your frequent comments in posts about YOH negativity towards your skirt wearing, good luck with asking her to listen to the interview. I honestly do hope she may mellow on the subject.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Wow TSM you've given me a lot to think about in terms of the use of social media to further our cause. I have a Farcebook account with some information on it but haven't visited it in months. I have kept away from such as Twitter. I suppose that there is so much negativity and horror about that I hadn't appreciated that there even is a positive aspect. You've mentioned sites that I have never heard of. Occasionally I do searches and if I get to sites where I can leave a comment or fill in a questionnaire then I do so but don't follow it up. You do so much more that I almost feel ashamed of my reticence yet I hold my head high, go about my business in a skirt and talk to others about it when I have the opportunity to do so.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

An excellent interview Jeremy. You represented MIS very well and hammered on all the key points!

Regarding social media, as you all know, Flickr and to a lesser extent, Pinterest is about as far as I go. My biggest representation is simply my walks out and about, which unfortunately, with my somewhat flamboyant and feminine style probably doesn't represent the MIS movement very well, as even if a man around here were to consider wearing a skirt, it wouldn't be anything like what I wear, most likely just a kilt. But that and my writings here on skirt cafe is about all I do...

But again, well done on the interview! We need a few like you over here stateside to take on some radio/talk show programs!

I think we're due for another cultural "British Invasion"! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Sinned wrote:You do so much more that I almost feel ashamed of my reticence yet I hold my head high, go about my business in a skirt and talk to others about it when I have the opportunity to do so.
All MIS and on this forum do their bit with the message. Holding ones head high go about business and talk is just as good. Social media may be real but it is not as real as being part of real life. All MIS who go out in public are doing just that.

Social media has its down sides but can also be productive. My Facebook is dormant really. Cannot quite get on to it as a user. Twitter can go for werks, months before I tweet but try and check the 3 searches as regularly as possible. As for searching men in skirts via Google usually once a week, some times longer.

If YOH does listen to interview let us know how it went. I suspect from earlier posts 'no change' or as Queen Victoria said "I am not amused".

Good luck To all MIS
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yes, anyone can be anything from the safety of a internet keyboard and mouse. The internet is in fact the most diverse repository of human uniqueness, and yet when everyone goes outside, they all look the same!

Nothing represents like flesh and blood, or "meat space" as Carl puts it.

That's why I enjoy MIS photos that are taken out and about in the real world, not just bathroom selfies. I also have a pet peeve of those who hide their face on photos. But to each their own, we all have to work within our comfort zone I suppose. Still yet, I do wish more would grab the dignity and freedom their creator gave them, and be somebody.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

moonshadow wrote:An excellent interview Jeremy. You represented MIS very well and hammered on all the key points
moonshadow wrote: My biggest representation is simply my walks out and about, which unfortunately, with my somewhat flamboyant and feminine style probably doesn't represent the MIS movement very well
Thanks for the compliment. My style is slightly more feminine than many on this forum ie no kilt, utilitikilt, cargo skirt. I also go for tops cardigans scarves. We are all different and all have differing degrees of preferences. Cannot all be the same, world would be very boring. Who is right and who is wrong? No one is perfect although many think only they are correct. Mutual respect and tolerance is lacking in the world by many. At the end of the day we are all promoting the same message: freedom of choice/expression and individuality applies to all.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

moonshadow wrote:I do wish more would grab the dignity and freedom their creator gave them, and be somebody.
As you say each to their own and own comfort zone but it is a shame some cannot gain confidence to take strength from those who do actually go out in public as MIS.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

TheSkirtedMan wrote:Social media may be real but it is not as real as being part of real life. All MIS who go out in public are doing just that.
I prefer the latter -- in spite of being "Master Barista" here -- for a proper way of driving the message home. The primary difference is that the bully is much less likely to confront us in Real Life ("meatspace") that s/he is in the fantasy world of the 'Net. If I took to heart even a tenth of the bile I hear spewed on the 'Net I'd likely never go near a skirt again.

Meatspace -- Real Life -- is entirely different, both in dynamic, and behaviours. For instance, I had an entirely delightful day on the water with my sailing pal, his SO, a nice of his, and one of her girl pals and her current boyfriend. To set the stage, my friend, his SO, and myself were very clearly the elders on the boat; the three others are in their mid-20s. Not one of the youngsters in the group so much as batted an eyelash regarding the fact that one of the male elders happened to be wearing a skirt; if anything I was more appreciated for my knowledge of local history and my command of the language which allowed me to make some hilarious commentary on some of the things that were vexing the youngsters. I will say that having them aboard was a delightful experience as they added much energy and laughter to the trip.

I had a brief conversation about skirts and dresses with my pal's niece, who I'd met before, and she's a big believer in skirts and dresses -- 'It's what freedom feels like!", were her words. To this I replied, "Well, it seems to be a well-kept secret" to which there was a burst of laughter. What a change from what's usually heard -- especially on-line.
Good luck To all MIS
Indeed. Get out there. It's liberating -- Freedom!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As a Man in a skirt, I do go out there and do promote the wearing of skirts to anyone interested. I have not worn pants nor shorts now in about 2 years. I really like my skirts because they are the most comfortable thing a man can wear. It did not take me all that long to go out and about in a skirt as I realized that no one really cared what I was wearing. And the more I went out the more confident I became and now it is routine.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.