....and Devonian schoolboys, guess what?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

....and Devonian schoolboys, guess what?

Post by renesm1 »

Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: ....and Devonian schoolboys, guess what?

Post by Sinned »

Say no more. The school will relent, shorts will be acceptable in hot weather and the boy's skirt wearing will be a bit of a novelty but forgotten by the time school starts in September. We can but hope but the chances are nothing will change.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Say no more. The school will relent, shorts will be acceptable in hot weather and the boy's skirt wearing will be a bit of a novelty but forgotten by the time school starts in September. We can but hope but the chances are nothing will change.
And we drop a step further into Casual Chaos and dreck.

The school's been handed a challenge, and they'd be wise to step up to it.

Now, we know that the British Empire's military used to have a shorts version of the uniform for those stationed in tropical climes, and it could actually look rather smart. Given that the planet is warming up (in spite of what Big Oil and Big Coal are saying) those "tropical climes" are now a bit closer to home. The right thing to do would be to either design a proper short-trousered version of the uniform for the lads -- and enforce it -- or open up the option of skirts (or lightweight kilts) in summertime. Done. Simple. Of course it's unlikely to happen as we still have 1950s minds running 2010s formative environments.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I was in the RAF and we wore shorts in Cyprus. With temperatures averaging 38c, it made complete sense.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Lots more boys wearing skirts to the same school today and the story made it into national media:-
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... are_btn_fb
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Reports said that some of the boys actually liked wearing skirts (we know that feeling) and may well continue to do so in the future. Here's hoping!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Absolutely superb, they looked good and were not in the least self conscious. They looked smart and their comments were sensible and matter of fact. I wish I had gone to a school like that!
We need more protests like that.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote:Say no more. The school will relent, shorts will be acceptable in hot weather and the boy's skirt wearing will be a bit of a novelty but forgotten by the time school starts in September. We can but hope but the chances are nothing will change.
Most likely.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Updated today:-
Just as Sinned predicted:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-40383290
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Totally predictable. I note that the shorts rule comes in next year so are the boys going to continue to wear skirts until the rule changes? I suspect not. The protest will have been made and we'll have another week of heat and the protest will be forgotten and things will continue as before trousers, trousers and more trousers. Am I being cynical or what?

BTW I told MOH about this story and she had a quick glance then all she could say was, "Is that all you can think of is stories about skirts. Let's get a photo of you in a skirt blown up so that we can put it on the wall for all to see." Well, that's one birthday present out of the window, not that I was ever thinking of doing that.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Sinned wrote:Totally predictable. I note that the shorts rule comes in next year so are the boys going to continue to wear skirts until the rule changes? I suspect not. The protest will have been made and we'll have another week of heat and the protest will be forgotten and things will continue as before trousers, trousers and more trousers. Am I being cynical or what?
Quite agree. The school had to give in, it was on very dodgy grounds with its uniform policy and yes I do agree the debate will be forgotten about until the next time a man or boy is denied shorts due to heat. I do not think the boys will adopt to skirts as part of their attire and the public support was good but due to circumstance. It may have been very different if they were pushing for skirts and not using them as leverage.

However, I pushed men in skirts as did a few other men and women on social media and I have just put up a new topic about a radio interview I was given. I am also active in the National Trust as a volunteer Room Steward and now Day Leader for a team and yes all done as a man in a skirt and as society still label womens clothes. Similar outfits as shown on my site. I have recently been included in NT filming to be used in varying forms along side other volunteers for training, promotion and encouraging new volunteers as the NT embraces and encourages diversity and tolerance. I firmly believe that for the debate of men in skirts to be given air space, discussion etc then men in skirts need to be more proactive both visually and by pushing out and about in the world at large and taking advantage of sutuations like the Devon School boys coverage. Otherwise we are not seen or heard and just considered to be the odd 'sad' man. I am 99% of the time as I appear on my web site in all aspects of life except my self employment, most fell walking and most of my serious DIY which is a kin to being a builder. I am skirted as shown on my site at all other times and at all other aspects of life. I know many on this forum do, clearly stated but I always hear when people engage with me, didn't know men wanted this choice, have not seen one, have not heard about it.

Society is fickle. Needs to be played at its own game and we all just need to keep chipping away.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

I expect the head teacher wore a thin blouse and light skirt(a miracle) on that day-- Double standards
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

And the male Powers That Be likely work in air conditioned offices. Which is probably why this ridiculous rule persisted as long as it did.