article - "Boys in skirts trending!"

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: article - "Boys in skirts trending!"

Post by Daryl »

We are the Skirtonians
the thin end of the wedge
We're here among you,
and this is our pledge.

Whether the winds blow high
or the winds blow low
No matter what they say,
through the streets we'll go.

Trousers are to girls
what skirts are to boys
They cover each well,
with room for their toys.

Strange was the day,
when the reverse seemed true
But reason has won
and nature come through.

So let's raise our MUGs
and repeat this vow
We're wearing our skirts,
don't have a cow!
Daryl...
neiljerram

Post by neiljerram »

Daryl wrote:
renesm1 wrote:Found Highgate School's twitter feed here if any of you want to directly question them!

https://twitter.com/highgate1565
Thank You! Here is my reply to their tweet on this:

Excellent but "questioning identity" is unnecessary. Just call it equality.
#MenWearSkirts as personal preference without any #GenderIssues

Likes, replies and retweets are all welcome.
Daryl, can you provide a link to your reply, so I can like and retweet that?
neiljerram

Post by neiljerram »

Daryl wrote:We are the Skirtonians
We're here among you,
and this is our pledge.

or the winds blow low
No matter what they say,

Trousers are to girls
what skirts are to boys
They cover each well,

Strange was the day,
But reason has won
and nature come through.

So let's raise our MUGs
and repeat this vow
don't have a cow!
Is there a tune that you have in mind for those words?
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

neiljerram wrote:
Daryl wrote:We are the Skirtonians
We're here among you,
and this is our pledge.

or the winds blow low
No matter what they say,

Trousers are to girls
what skirts are to boys
They cover each well,

Strange was the day,
But reason has won
and nature come through.

So let's raise our MUGs
and repeat this vow
don't have a cow!
Is there a tune that you have in mind for those words?
No, though one is suggested by the obvious homage in the second stanza. :)
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

neiljerram wrote:
Daryl wrote:
renesm1 wrote:Found Highgate School's twitter feed here if any of you want to directly question them!

https://twitter.com/highgate1565
Thank You! Here is my reply to their tweet on this:

Excellent but "questioning identity" is unnecessary. Just call it equality.
#MenWearSkirts as personal preference without any #GenderIssues

Likes, replies and retweets are all welcome.
Daryl, can you provide a link to your reply, so I can like and retweet that?
Gladly, thanks.

https://twitter.com/DarylKinsman/status ... 9542123522

Sadly the usual pack of gender issue reactionaries have had their way in the thread.
Daryl...
Bowtie

Post by Bowtie »

I would agree with the other commentators here that we need to move beyond associating a man wearing a skirt with gender/identity issues. I for one, as is the case for most here I imagine, wear a skirt because it is comfortable, and the single reason I am not more open about this is because others will think that at the root of the issue is that I somehow want to be a woman or have some kind of identity issue... This is simply not the case! I wear it because I like it and it's comfortable, nothing more than that!!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

This tends to be a loaded area. But yes, most of us here wear skirts because we find them comfortable or interesting, and not because of gender or identity issues.

Now, I have to admit that when I look at myself in the mirror, I tend to ask myself, "Would this outfit from the waist down look good on a woman?" But maybe that's because there's no other standard for comparison. Hmm. I always present as male, though, and I have no interest in full female impersonation or (shudder) reassignment.

Nevertheless, there seems to be a lot more consideration for individuals who lean toward gender swaps, and are wearing skirts or dresses as a step in that direction, than there is for men who want to wear skirts and never go any further. Sometimes this works to our advantage, but only if you can stand to be accepted for the wrong reason.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:This tends to be a loaded area. But yes, most of us here wear skirts because we find them comfortable or interesting, and not because of gender or identity issues.
It seems to be a loaded area primarily because of the behaviours of a very few, and then a very few with a "message" to push.
Now, I have to admit that when I look at myself in the mirror, I tend to ask myself, "Would this outfit from the waist down look good on a woman?"
Out of curiosity, why not the simple question of, "Am I happy with how this looks on me?" Or, delving further, "Does it align well with my general sense of style?" or even, "What does this outfit say about me?" Personally, I find those sorts of questions a lot more useful that contemplating how something of mine would look on some hypothetical woman.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Caultron wrote: Nevertheless, there seems to be a lot more consideration for individuals who lean toward gender swaps, and are wearing skirts or dresses as a step in that direction, than there is for men who want to wear skirts and never go any further. .
Males aren't supposed to be interested in wearing skirts.

And for the longest time you could be sure males couldn't be interested in skirts, because males didn't express an interest in skirts. (Though the typical male likely feared that his sexuality would questioned if he did express an interest in skirts).

Well, finally, a transgender grouping came to the public's attention. But being such an unorthodox grouping, it could still be assumed that the average male has no interest in skirts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:Out of curiosity, why not the simple question of, "Am I happy with how this looks on me?" Or, delving further, "Does it align well with my general sense of style?" or even, "What does this outfit say about me?" Personally, I find those sorts of questions a lot more useful that contemplating how something of mine would look on some hypothetical woman.
Well of course the ultimate question is, "Am I happy with how this looks on me?" But it's less jarring and more attractive to others if you conform to some extent with accepted styles, and the role models for wearing skirts tend strongly to be women.

That's not to claim, however, that anyone needs to be a slave to fashion. The question is still, "Am I happy with how this looks on me?"
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Just so those of you who are following Caultron's & CRFriend's philosophical debate on personal style have enough options to choose from, here's my thought process.

I keep a keen eye out for what stylish women in my age bracket, or at least the age I appear are wearing (hey, one excuse is as good as another, 'I wasn't ogling you ma'am, I was just scrutinizing your outfit.') to stay up with what's fashionable and get good, new ideas.

As far as the age question goes, one of the best fashion ideas I adapted was inspired by a beautiful, young woman who was several decades younger than I, but she looked so good and comfortable in her shifts I knew I had to find one. I've since bought several and they never fail to get compliments.

I filter what looks good on the women that have caught my attention for what would also look good on me (ruffles, tiered skirts and dresses, and small florals are almost categorically rejected). Then it's a matter of finding the item(s) in question at an acceptable price and trying it on in front of a mirror.

That's one of my acid tests; I've learned the hard way that some things look better on the hanger than on me and occasionally vice versa. The final screen is, "OK, if I bought it, where exactly would I wear it?" For most things, that's not really an issue, but there are times when it leads to something going back to the rack.

Finally, when I am going somewhere I ask at least myself, "What will the women there be wearing?" I feel that is really key. Recently, I went to a fund-raising auction in an evening gown. It had hung in my closet for months and I was dying to wear it somewhere. I thought it might be too much until a friend of mine said she'd worn an evening gown to a school auction because she loves to dress up and this seemed close enough. If she can, I can. I checked with the woman chairing the event, she confirmed it would be at the high end, but if I was comfortable in it, why not? My lady barber clinched it. Her take was, "If I had a dress like that, I'd sure wear it!" At the event the co-chair thanked me for wearing my gown, I presumed because she felt I raised the bar for next year's event.

I don't mind being at the high end of what the ladies are wearing. Indeed, I think it has the advantage of displaying myself to advantage and making the point that men can look good in skirts and dresses too. In my mind, being noticeably underdressed or dressing in a totally idiosyncratic manner is going to get both me and the rest of our breed dismissed as clueless kooks or narcissists. That's why I feel it's important to have a clear picture of what people will be wearing at the event/venue that I am going to.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:In my mind, being noticeably underdressed or dressing in a totally idiosyncratic manner is going to get both me and the rest of our breed dismissed as clueless kooks or narcissists.
I couldn't agree more. That's why I have no patience for over-the-top butching up of skirts to compensate for fear of femininity. Even the excess of metal snaps on Utilikilts is this. It's also why I often wear a tie in a more formal or business setting.
Daryl...