The Dirty Secret About Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Dirty Secret About Skirts

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:The last time I flew to Colorado I did not pack any pants or shorts just skirts. I found that even with 5 skirts and 10 shirts or blouses my bag seemed not to be as full as it was when I packed 5 pairs of pants. I figured that if I could not wear a skirt then I was not going to do what ever I set out to do. I had no bad reactions at the airport coming or going and no bad reactions while in Denver and surrounding areas. :D
I flat out do not fly in anything but skirts anymore, even if I think there could be some practical reason to wear pants (like security guards using discretion with bias). It's never been an issue. Pants are just too danged restrictive in an already cramped seat.
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fred, I too have noticed that skirts take up less room than trousers. It's amazing how much room the gusset and inseam take up even if the skirt is a full length jobby.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:I just stumbled across this article (full copy below) dating back to 2013 in The Telegraph, but couldn't see that it has been posted previously:

Let's face it: skirts are dreadful. Sure, they can look nice enough and are just the thing for hot weather or piping the battle-weary across Culloden Moor (though as often as not they look like shapeless sacks and kilts are on the downswing of the fashion pendulum). But as far as fit-for-purpose clothing goes, they are a nightmare, an absolute nightmare..
![/quote]Thinking back a few years.... It seemed to me that most skirts designed for men were shapeless sacks.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:Fred, I too have noticed that skirts take up less room than trousers. It's amazing how much room the gusset and inseam take up even if the skirt is a full length jobby.
I suppose if one compares the circumference of two pipes to one twice the size there is no difference, so may be the bulk of the seam and usually finer material could make them more compact. I have found that denim minis are about the same to pack as denim shorts, but a viscose mini with elastic waist is much more compact.
Talking of shorts; I have just disposed of all my shorts as I haven't worn any for 3 years of skirting.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:I just stumbled across this article (full copy below) dating back to 2013 in The Telegraph, but couldn't see that it has been posted previously:

That's the dirty secret about skirts. in that bleary-eyed quarter hour between rolling out of the sack and getting an indifferent mug of instant coffee down yer, they require very little thought. Or ironing. And if in a sturdy enough and dark enough fabric, you can skip the odd trip to the dry-cleaner's too.

As far as I can tell, most men's approach to clothing coordination consists of "grab the nearest thing that goes on fastest." My husband would walk around in his dressing gown all day if that was compatible with health & safety on the worksite. And is that really qualitatively any different from, say, a DvF print wrap? Add a hi-vis vest and helmet, and you're away.

. The gents surely envy us the ease of the skirt: let's see if they can take it like a man.
I hadn't really thought about this before. But I can easily imagine men converting for this sort of reason.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Disaffected.citizen wrote: article
. But in that bleary-eyed quarter hour between rolling out of the sack and getting an indifferent mug of instant coffee down yer, they require very little thought.
!
Which seems to be an argument for "Lounge Wear" in the home. But the wardrobe for Western Civilization seems lacking for not only men, but also women. We don't really have, for example, a counterpart to the kimono.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Grok wrote:Which seems to be an argument for "Lounge Wear" in the home. But the wardrobe for Western Civilization seems lacking for not only men, but also women. We don't really have, for example, a counterpart to the kimono.
Isn't yukata the counterpart to kimono that is used as lounge wear at home?
らき☆