Covergirls new Cover boy

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Covergirls new Cover boy

Post by moonshadow »

Saw this pop up in my pinterest feed and thought... no way, gotta be fake.

Googled it and lo and behold... it seems legit.

It seems CoverGirl's newest hire is a 17 year old makeup artist that's a boy!

What makes this very interesting, and appropriate for this site, is it seems from the articles I'm reading he is NOT identifying as a girl (or woman), but rather is promoting the use of makeup for men (and boys), and the context of the article falls inline with men's fashion (or gender) freedom.

Though I'm personally not a makeup guy out of personal preference (even my wife and daughter tried to get me on board, but I declined), and I'm not sure if any active members here are big on makeup, I thought it was worthy of mention.

It's happening guys.... gender freedom is afoot! One by one that pieces are falling in place. Another generation or two and what we do here just won't be a big deal anymore.

Or course we all know that men wearing makeup is nothing new. It's big in theatre and Hollywood, as well as I can certainly recall plenty of the "Goth" boys in my school who worn black eyeliner and lipstick all of the time, but what makes this really cool is this is the first time I've seen a real push for normal "everyday makeup wearing" to be promoted for men in the same context a woman might wear makeup.

Whether you're a makeup man or not... I think we can't deny that the continuing erosion of gender roles can only help our movement and thus set us all free!

Kudos to CoverGirl and best of luck to you James Charles! :cheers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/fashi ... .html?_r=0
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Covergirls new Cover boy

Post by denimini »

Yes, change is happening. My sister, who is nearly as old as I am, is still teaching, art, fabric crafts sort of thing, and many of the boys at the school want to use the sewing facilities in their spare time as they are into cosplay design. My sister helps them where she can, often in her own time. (She also has offerred me advice in creating a skirt with contrasting pleats and hidden pockets).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

While I think the idea of gender equality is great I suppose you could call me somewhat anti make-up. Not rigid in this mind you. Unless you are covering something you prefer not seen I don't see a lot of value in it. Would the practice of hiding ones natural face be on the same lines as hiding ones body, or body/face shaming? A made-up face can be really attractive, but so can plastic surgery. It's just not very real or natural. Of course I'm not talking about cases of disfigurement here, just everyday appearance changing. To each their own
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Makeup is an interesting thing. Done at its best, it's entirely subtle and enhancing (and enchanting as well); overdone it looks clownish, or, worse, draws cracks like the wonderful one of a few years ago: "They finally cracked off the last of Tammy Faye Bakker's makeup. Know what they found? Jimmy Hoffa."

I view it in the same light as sheer hosiery. Which looks better: bare legs or ones in hose?

Less sometimes is more. My ex was a grand-master at it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

True, true....

While I'm not much on makeup, it's not because I don't like it, or think it wouldn't look good. In fact, done right, I'd say I could pull off some pretty cool looks. But alas, I'd just botch it all up! :D

Jenn and Amber tried to get me to apply eyeliner one night, and I was actually of a mind to, as I'm one of those who thinks men can look very distinguished in eyeliner, but alas I just can't get on board with a pencil tip that close to my eye ball. It makes me very nervous.

Regarding makeup elsewhere on the face, it's not for me because frankly I fidget with my face all the time (OCD), and I'd just smear it all over the place.

Though maybe not counted as "makeup" I'll add nail polish to the subject line of this thread, and I believe CoverGirl has a line of nail polish. Thanks to their pro-gender freedom stand on their product line, I do believe I will make an effort to at least purchase CoverGirl nail polish if I can find a place that sells it.

Now I do like nail polish, I just don't wear it often because it makes the world stop spinning. (only on weekends)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

I tried some clear polish to see if it would keep my nails from breaking so easily in the dry winter air. No dice. In my line of hands on work I got broken nails with chipped and pealing polish. Like you, Moon, if I tried make-up it would just be a mess.

My late wife sold Mary Kay, which had a men's line. They had a kind of foundation/moisturizer with a flesh tone component. Too much trouble to put in a daily routine and you lose some realities of character.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Now I do like nail polish, I just don't wear it often because it makes the world stop spinning. (only on weekends)
I've got a vial of clear varnish I keep meaning to try, but since I'm an inveterate nail-biter I'm not sure I want to sample the chemicals. Or deal with the varnish-remover, which used to be acetone (I have no idea what it is now).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtedWelshman

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

Been wearing makeup for a few years now. I get lots of compliments, moans if I don't wear any. Makes you look better, younger. If you get brushes and follow male makeup wearer's on YouTube, you can't go wrong. I buy off Amazon, that way solves embarrassment at buying at the chemist/supermarket.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

SkirtedWelshman wrote:Been wearing makeup for a few years now. I get lots of compliments, moans if I don't wear any. Makes you look better, younger. If you get brushes and follow male makeup wearer's on YouTube, you can't go wrong. I buy off Amazon, that way solves embarrassment at buying at the chemist/supermarket.
I'd think that wearing makeup to the chemist/supermarket would be edgier than just buying it. No?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote:Or deal with the varnish-remover, which used to be acetone (I have no idea what it is now).
I've had my nails professionally done for over seven years now. The shop I use uses 100% acetone as polish remover. They buy it by the gallon. :!:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

SkirtedWelshman wrote:Been wearing makeup for a few years now. I get lots of compliments, moans if I don't wear any. Makes you look better, younger. If you get brushes and follow male makeup wearer's on YouTube, you can't go wrong. I buy off Amazon, that way solves embarrassment at buying at the chemist/supermarket.
I've been wearing a bit of makeup daily for five years now. I started with a makeover one Saturday afternoon from a friendly Body Shop manager. I had been using a day cream in the morning to keep my skin looking younger but found it left my face shiny. In the makeover I told the woman that my goal was to remove the shine and mute some age spots on my face. A light brush over with a bronzer took care of both problems. She also showed me how to use a bit of subtle eye color (shadow) and brown mascara to define my eyes a bit. Like others, I'm afraid to get near my eyes with an eye liner pencil.
The result seems to be working. People who don't know me commonly guess my age as five to ten years less than the actual number. I buy in the Body Shop store and haven't ever had a problem with a sales person. They know by the pronouns I use that I'm buying for myself.
Stuart Gallion
SkirtedWelshman

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

I started with eyeliner, then added black and grey eyeshadow for smokey eye effect. Makeup does get additive. Then I started down the foundation, setting powder and bronzer route. Last came eyebrow pencil.

Started growing my nails with clear polish, soon to add colour when shsped. It's a magic weekend/going out look with a kilt and boots. It work in education, so it's shirt, tie and trousers weekday, term time.

Martin
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I wear lipstick, eyeshadow, and mascara for church and business. The effect is subtle and not garish. I have a clear complexion with no beard shadow that is fairly ruddy so I don't use foundation nor rouge. Next step is to use eyeliner.

John
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Now I don't feel so out on limb for using eyeshadow, mascara, rogue and tinted lip balm.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Now I don't feel so out on limb for using eyeshadow, mascara, rogue and tinted lip balm.
You're not out on a limb PDx. Swap the rouge for bronzing powder and balm for lipstick and you would describe me. :)
Stuart Gallion