National Coming Out Day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

National Coming Out Day

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

When I was crossdressing, as opposed to skirting, we often said to one another, "One excuse (to go out crossdressed) is as good as another."
Because today is National Coming Out Day is a celebration of people's authentic selves I felt inspired to announce my decision to add skirts and dresses to my everyday wardrobe in a Facebook post.
If you have a friendship or family circle that you have been wanting to come out to and haven't quite summoned the courage to do so, this could be your opportunity. Here on the West Coast of the US you only have 12 more hours and only 9 on the East Coast to make yourself known don't delay!
And don't forget what Lennon & McCartney said nearly a half century ago, "Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey!"
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: National Coming Out Day

Post by moonshadow »

Cool!

Not to rain on this very positive post, but I've basically "came out" to everyone I feel comfortable with doing so up to this point. Those who remain (Dad) wouldn't care what day it is, it would stir great troubles regardless.

But it's good for those who can gather with other like souls and "come out" together. So I see the draw to it.

Carry on! :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

"Coming out" sounds like confessing about something you were ashamed of doing.
I've never had to own up to wearing unbifurcated garments, because I have never been ashamed of them.

Martin
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Good for you Martin.

But if you read the Introductions, you'll see a lot of members have a hell of a time telling spouses, taking that first walk, etc.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:But if you read the Introductions, you'll see a lot of members have a hell of a time telling spouses, taking that first walk, etc.
Indeed the initial presentation of the new concept can be jarring for many, but "coming out" make it sound like it's something it's not as that phraseology has been taken over by other parties for a very specific meaning. "To début" might be better but has the additional baggage of débutante riding along with it.

There may be no applicable term beyond, "Hey, get a load of this!"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Coming out is a great expression, because it describes the phenomenon very efficiently.

Just because homosexuals have monopolized the term is no reason to allow that to continue. While we're taking back our birthright to dress as we damned well please, let's take back our language.

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:[... L]et's take back our language.
That's fair enough! Let's also take back "liberal", "conservative", and "gay" while we're at it. It's a fantastic idea, but I fear that it's going to be an awfully big hill to take, especially with entrenched interests at the top.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

This is America where everyone's equal in the voting booth, whether it's a literal or figurative ballot box.