Smyth's Toys advert in UK - 'If I Were a Toy'

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Smyth's Toys advert in UK - 'If I Were a Toy'

Post by Stevie D »

UK toy store, Smyths, has a new animation advert out with a song 'If I Were a Toy'.
A young boy expresses his desires of what he would do if he had the freedom to be a toy for the day. One of his wishes is to be 'Queen of the land' accompanied by a animation sequence of him dropping into a lovely regal dress and waving to his loyal subjects. He then moves on to other roles - piloting an aircraft, etc..

It's all very charming and the queen section, although brief, is made with no hint of embarrassment or that it is somehow inappropriate for a boy to play at being a pretty young woman, which of course it isn't. I hope our youngsters (and their parents) take this in their stride. Full marks to the toy company and the film makers for starting to leave gender stereotyping behind, hopefully for good.

Here's the link to the video, which I hope is available to folks outside the UK.
https://youtu.be/jitdxQpsHbE

The 'queen' section is very brief, from time 0:11 to 0:16, so you'll need to watch and listen carefully. :)
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Smyth's Toys advert in UK - 'If I Were a Toy'

Post by hoborob »

Sorry I got a "Not Available in your Country" message.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

hoborob wrote:Sorry I got a "Not Available in your Country" message.
Same here - Irving, Texas, USA

John
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Hmm... OK, I was afraid of that.

Try this link:
NEW LINK if you are outside the UK:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbgwsdzzr3e2y2m/Toy.mp4?dl=0

UK viewers should be OK with the original Youtube link:
https://youtu.be/jitdxQpsHbE
Last edited by Stevie D on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stevie D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Drat. I need to find a Linux-based MP4 player....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

What can I say but, "Cool Commercial". Thanks for the link.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Lovely advert - Smyth's showing real progressive values.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Well done! I like the expressions on his face: He looks a little perplexed, as though he's thinking "Why am I wearing this dress? Oh well, I'll just make a go of it and see what happens"
Ralph!
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Also, this... since the clip referenced Toy Story a few times. To infinity... and beyond!

Ralph!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
It took some doing, apparently I don't have a program on my computer to open an mp4, so I accessed the link from my smart phone, yet still for some reason it wouldn't play, I had to actually download the file to my smart phone and play it that way.

A neat little commercial, but I don't understand what all the copyright/nation blocking is all about.... I thought the U.S. and U.K. played nice on such matters... :?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

crfriend wrote:
VLC Media Player plays MP4 well on my GNU/Linux computer. I recommend it for video playback, whatever operating system you use.
らき☆
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Stevie D wrote:Hmm... OK, I was afraid of that. Try this link: NEW LINK if you are outside the UK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbgwsdzzr3e2y2m/Toy.mp4?dl=0
All I get is a 404 message when I try it.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Franinskirts wrote:
Stevie D wrote:Hmm... OK, I was afraid of that. Try this link: NEW LINK if you are outside the UK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbgwsdzzr3e2y2m/Toy.mp4?dl=0
Hmm...
The file is still available on my Dropbox account. Not sure why you get the 404 message. Other people in your continent seem to have success.
You do need to have cookies enabled on your browser in order to view the file. If you have cookies blocked, this might be causing the problem.
Stevie D
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I recall, about 5 years ago, a friend's 6 year old son going through a phase of wearing princess dresses. There were about 5 couples away one weekend including the couple with the fashion forward son. He was clearly upset at something, and on questioning, the mother grimly, and in an embarrassed tone, told us that the young lad was upset because he wasn't allowed to wear his princess dress. What then happened was remarkable. We all said, what's the problem? He's experimenting! It's a costume! More pushback from the (slightly rigidly conformist) mother. Peer pressure from all of us (I was diplomatic in my suggestions!).

End result? One very happy boy, whizzing about in his Disney princess dress, one surprised and increasingly relaxed mum, and a bunch of us looking on at the sheer joy of a young boy being allowed to be who he wanted to be.

Four years later, he's outgrown the dress phase, but he retains a wonderful sense of self which may manifest itself in other ways. Even if he never wears a dress again, it's by choice, not coercion.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Stevie D wrote:
Franinskirts wrote:
Hmm...
The file is still available on my Dropbox account. Not sure why you get the 404 message. Other people in your continent seem to have success.
You do need to have cookies enabled on your browser in order to view the file. If you have cookies blocked, this might be causing the problem.
It just worked for me once I closed the Dropbox signup window.
My Firefox install is set have some cookies accepted, just not third party cookies.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco